68 Hemi Gtx

-

Max Max Wedge

Reaction score
I just got a tip today on a 68 HEMI GTX. I don't know yet if it's a 4 spd or auto. The guy wants a $500 finders fee before he gives me the contact info. He is certain that the owner will sell. I was thinking of drawing up a contract with him, something like if I can't seal the deal he gets no money. What is customary for this type of thing?

Take him with you to look at the car. If he knows the car is definitely for sale, then he should know what the guy wants for it. Take purchase $$$ and extra $$$ for the finders fee.

Sounds like a scam to me. Do y'all have any mutual friends? If so, they could hold the money with instructions that if you buy the ff is paid, if not you get the $ back.
C

I received a picture today. It looks like there is a HEMI badge on the right rear of the deck lid. I'm still trying to decide how much cash I should show up with to let the old codger know I'm serious.

Removed to protect the Innocent.

Looks like one of those " its not for sale, I'm going to fix it up one day " !!! Hope you can get it.....

I'm still trying to decide how much cash I should show up with to let the old codger know I'm serious.

Show up with as much cash as you think you're going to need (or the max amount you'll pay for it). You don't need to have it all stashed in the same pocket. You can pull a wad out from one pocket and see if he'll take the initial amount. If not, keep pulling from other pockets only if you have to.
Good luck!!!

Ya need to have a figure in your head of the most you can afford to spend. If it was 8,000 then you might want to offer him 5,000.Need to start low and give yourself some room to come up,make him feel like he's getting the better of the deal. A $500 finder fee,I would have told the guy to piss off.8)

BTW,I had a 68 GTX,That's a nice car.!

Unless $$ is no object to you, and in most cases anyway, the finders fee is only justified if a purchase takes place. Just pointing a car out in a strangers back yard doesn't warrant $500 either. For that coin, he should be able to introduce you to the owner, and he'd better be selling. If not, he's earned his $20.

Looks like an interesting car, good luck with it.

If you want my opinion on the value of that car, assuming it's #'s matching and all there, I'd say $12k would be a safe # (basing it loosely off the one picture). Another 68 recently sold, minus engine for mid to high 20's though. For some reason 68 GTX's aren't as valuable as some other Hemi models, and the restoration is going to put you upside down. It's too cool to pass up though if you can afford it.

I think I'll be able to pass up on paying any finders fee. Based on where the guy (finder) told me lives and that he drives by the car everyday, I was able to locate the GTX using the local county aerial tax maps online. I can see the back half of the GTX sticking out from under the awning. Now I have to start working on the wife, get that cleared then start the pursuit.

I'd post the aerial but that would give the location away and I would have to be asking for a finders fee. :toothy10:

Looks like it may be in Utah. If your negotiating skills are as they should be and the guy needs money then that makes for a great combo in your favor. Try and get some history on the seller. That always helps in the equasion. Try and determine his financial situation and get a feel for where he stands on his obligations. He may owe someone that's putting pressure on him. Did i say i was evil?
Small Block

This is not the time to be checking in with your wife - lovely as she may be.

"Tis better to ask for forgiveness than permisssion"

But hey, that's just me.......... and as an afterthought, if you found it with an ariel view, so can someone else.................get hustling...........

Daryl

Daryl if I take the wing and stick half of it out the garage door does and a plane flies over does that count. Darn no planes ever fly over here---unless their lost,

Tell her it is an investmentment. It will bring a better return than any IRA.

Well I met the owner of the GTX today. He was pissed to say the least. The guy that wanted the finders fee from me has been doing this for a few years now. He tries to get the money up front and just scamming people. The car is there, it's not for sale (never will be), it is a real HEMI 4 spd. He wouldn't even let me in the back yard. He told me he has a restraining order on this character. Before I left I gave him my information in case the police wanted to talk to me about this scum bag. I also polity apologized and told him if he ever reconsidered to contact me.

If the guy didn't want the attention you think he would at least tarp the car. One day it'll be gone when somebody finally talks him into selling it.

-
Back