68 Lada Valiant

-
I have one that is home made. Electric power from a 12v car battery. It has picked up the entire front of a 77 D100 club cab w/ the 400 and 727 still in it... but it's a TANK! solid steel wheels, and fixed legs. It sleeps outside. Lol.... the other one I got from a bud that used it once (50$) is from across the Pacific...but it folds up

but...but, it came from china.....

Actually it did because I bought it at ol harbor freight. As much as I hate that pungent chinese aroma in that store, where else am I going to get a cherry picker new in the box for 20% off and two worker guys loaded it in my truck for me.....where!!! only at the HF lol

I got mine in the late 90's, at a Westlake Hardware. They had a half dozen that were NOT selling, at that time I think I gave $110 for it. It never said made in China on it and that was before I had learned that lesson. The welds on mine look really good. I figure it's either one of the first ones off the line while the round eye was still in the plant checking quality, or it was an American piece that they copied to make yours. It's the exact same color and been super solid, even surviving being loaned out a few times.

Basic, lol! I remember my Mom had a Datsun B- 210! I know a few that are for the " People's Car".. doubt I've ever seen a Lada,...
I bought a B210 hatchback when I was 19, I took hat thing on motorcycle trails in the woods and had a blast. tried to break it but it took the beating...

Finally got a clear weekend to work on the lada valiant. I forgot how freaking tiring it is to sand, sand, oh yea, sand some more.

Every crevis and dimple in the engine compartment has to be sanded.

I had company though

20211107_172745.jpg

20211107_173314.jpg

Spent more time on it on Saturday but got a bit done in the morning on Sunday.

Spent a bunch of time straightening the lower radiator support. Someone hit something low at some point and there was a mean dent. Not sure if I took a pic of the before

20211107_171958.jpg

So I'm watching some videos on how to put together an audio system for this car. I think I'm going to build a box that will mount on the hump over the rear end and it seems like it's going to be a lot cheaper to rattle the **** out of this car than I thought. I want to feel the deck lid rattle from in the house lol.

I think I need at least 2 subwoofers

The reason i am thinking audio while working the engine compartment is actually an engineered reason. I am thinking i need to drill a hole in the firewall to run cables from the battery to the amps. So i want to drill all the holes needed in the firewall BEFORE paint.

I once painted an engine compartment on a dart and then realized i still needed to drill for the electronic ignition parts D'OH!!!

It's definitely better to do your demolition before your paint! Something about hacking into a new product just don't seem right

Yo PV. Going through garage I ran into some stereo stuff. Free for your Bumpin project. This stuff might be outdated, but it might be good as well. Got from a friend that worked in the sound industry (Mackie, although that probably isnt the brand). I can take pics and post if interested.

Moving right along, hope to see some sealer primer going on soon before it flashes with rust, prep wipe and spray it soon ?

Memike , We kinda took over her thread with talk of pierogis. If you ever had them pan fried with butter and onions and with polish sausage, you would understand lol. Comfort food like chicken n dumplings

Memike , We kinda took over her thread with talk of pierogis. If you ever had them pan fried with butter and onions and with polish sausage, you would understand lol. Comfort food like chicken n dumplings
and now we're back to pierogis...:lol:

but...but, it came from china.....

Actually it did because I bought it at ol harbor freight. As much as I hate that pungent chinese aroma in that store, where else am I going to get a cherry picker new in the box for 20% off and two worker guys loaded it in my truck for me.....where!!! only at the HF lol

you and me both. That inferior Chinese plastic and rubber outgassing smell is horrible and makes me second guess my purchase every time.

So a few people have asked how the lada valiant is progressing and the honest truth is very slowly. The car overall is far from what is call a rust bucket but there is an issue with the torsion bar cross member that is going to black flag this car off the road until it gets fixed.

The guy who sold me this car is a fabo member and he did mention the cross member is a bit shaky but didn't think it would need to be replaced. I think it needs to be replaced to be safe. He felt bad but I don't blame him at all because this kind of **** should almost be expected when working with cars as old as these cars are. Those who know who I got this car from can note that he did mention it and he's still my favorite seller because this isn't his fault. I'm looking forward to the repair because I have only dug this deep into a car once before because the other car was wrecked (not by me) and I replaced the entire front inner structure, so I'm not afraid of this job.

I think something happened to this cross member probably when the car was new because that is unusual for rot like that to be so localized, no where else on the car is anything like it.

So I'm going to continue painting the engine compartment and replace the torsion bar cross member when time allows, I still have to get it cut out of a parts car.

Resized_20211112_185641.jpeg

Resized_20211112_185548.jpeg

Last edited:
So i tried to buy a new AMD torsion bar cross member but it seems they are out of stock and no one knows when they will be available again. So I'm not going to waste my time on Taiwan part if they cant be Johnny on the spot. So I am going to quit being lazy and cut the cross member out of the 74 valiant parts car. This car is finally going to die but it will save the lada valiant and probably a few others.

so as time allows, I am going to turn my focus to tearing down the 74 valiant and harvest the cross member out.

20210107_101537.jpg

So a few people have asked how the lada valiant is progressing and the honest truth is very slowly. The car overall is far from what is call a rust bucket but there is an issue with the torsion bar cross member that is going to black flag this car off the road until it gets fixed.

The guy who sold me this car is a fabo member and he did mention the cross member is a bit shaky but didn't think it would need to be replaced. I think it needs to be replaced to be safe. He felt bad but I don't blame him at all because this kind of **** should almost be expected when working with cars as old as these cars are. Those who know who I got this car from can note that he did mention it and he's still my favorite seller because this isn't his fault. I'm looking forward to the repair because I have only dug this deep into a car once before because the other car was wrecked (not by me) and I replaced the entire front inner structure, so I'm not afraid of this job.

I think something happened to this cross member probably when the car was new because that is unusual for rot like that to be so localized, no where else on the car is anything like it.

So I'm going to continue painting the engine compartment and replace the torsion bar cross member when time allows, I still have to get it cut out of a parts car.

View attachment 1715829997

View attachment 1715829998
Wow! That's pretty Shot Out! Damn the Rot!

So i tried to buy a new AMD torsion bar cross member but it seems they are out of stock and no one knows when they will be available again. So I'm not going to waste my time on Taiwan part if they cant be Johnny on the spot. So I am going to quit being lazy and cut the cross member out of the 74 valiant parts car. This car is finally going to die but it will save the lada valiant and probably a few others.

so as time allows, I am going to turn my focus to tearing down the 74 valiant and harvest the cross member out.

View attachment 1715829999
Mad Kudos and Respect! Anyone who chooses to drill spot welds, cut, and grind, in Their Spare Time, is Awesome!

View attachment 1715829997

View attachment 1715829998
Wonder if she partially sat in a low area, I've seen stranger... a 70 Challenger TA , totally rotted on the Driver side, like She was half under shelter, and half not, for 20 years.. took 3 other cars to " re-body" 'er.. .We speculated a Vietnam War Vet's family kept it.... not sure if it's the real story...

-
Back