68 Valiant Signet, 2D, A/C car, build

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Well I thought I might as well start a build thread for my 68 Valiant. I have had this car for several years now. The idea was to build a big block car, but now I'm not sure.......... It started life much as it sits now. It has bucket seats, factory air, 273 engine, 904 trans and 7.25 rear.

I got a 8.75 rear that I am building for it right now. I also have all the 4 speed stuff from my old 67 Dart (/6 car) that I have been saving for this car. Just need a sb bell and a few odds and ends.

Anyhow here are some pics. I'll update as I go!

Oh, and I am only the 2nd owner. I bought this car from the estate of the original owner. Pretty cool huh? :) I still have all the written repair and maintenance records she kept up through 1975 or so, and some of the old repair parts she kept in bags in the trunk.

68val072comp.jpg

68valoldwheels.jpg

68valnewwheels2.jpg

68valpose.jpg

DSCN0813.JPG

Last edited:
Glad you started a build thread! Love the Valiant post cars, so one more is great. That looks like a really nice car to start with, and a pretty dang nicely optioned Valiant as well.

Man -

I would seriously consider leaving it as is. Of course, I say build it how YOU want, but I hope you want to leave it.

GL either way!!

Man -

I would seriously consider leaving it as is. Of course, I say build it how YOU want, but I hope you want to leave it.

GL either way!!

A lot of people have said that to me! And I understand the sentiment. I was finally able to buy an A body car that wasn't a complete basket case and I guess the down side of that (if you can call it a down side!!!) is the difficulty deciding to mod out a rarely optioned original car in good shape.

It is actually going to be a bit hard for me to start cutting into the floor for the 4speed mod but the one thing I aim to do, is to DO IT WELL! Not some hack job.

All that being said, the car is a 25 footer. It has been repainted, and none too carefully. There are lots of drips and overspray on all the trim, chrome and seals. I need a front bumper and pass side fender. They are tweaked from a fender bender which occurred long before I owned it.

Well, I started working on the rear diff today. I got a 742 SG unit from dartman65 (thanks Don!) and pulled it apart as I had no clue as to the condition. I could see some critters (earwigs I think) that had taken up residence so i wanted to do a complete tear down if for nothing else than to clean everything up.

As it turns out I need bearings too. I made a tool for holding the companion flange while getting the pinion nut off. I also intend to build a fork type holder to put the housing in when adjusting the bearings etc.

diff 5.JPG

diff1.JPG

diff2.JPG

diff3.JPG

diff4.JPG

diff6.JPG

Last edited:
Piece of advice from a 69 Valiant big block automatic and 74 Scamp (modified) A/C small block 4 speed OD owner DO NOT PUT IN A BIG BLOCK but do go with the 4 speed - 3:23 or 3:55 gears - power late model disc front - big b body drum rear get axles from Moser - front sway bar - big block torsion bars - for motor use the 5.9 magnum - body wise do what ever you want but if you do something get rid of all the trim - if you change the leaf springs use ESPO stock or 1" drop springs - 16" wheels if you can find something you like - believe me that would make a great all around Valiant that would be a blast to drive - I drive the Scamp everywhere and love it the Valiant just sets

Attachments

• DSCF0503.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 691
Sweet car! If you go 4-speed you will never look back....I love mine :burnout:

Piece of advice from a 69 Valiant big block automatic and 74 Scamp (modified) A/C small block 4 speed OD owner DO NOT PUT IN A BIG BLOCK but do go with the 4 speed - 3:23 or 3:55 gears - power late model disc front - big b body drum rear get axles from Moser - front sway bar - big block torsion bars - for motor use the 5.9 magnum - body wise do what ever you want but if you do something get rid of all the trim - if you change the leaf springs use ESPO stock or 1" drop springs - 16" wheels if you can find something you like - believe me that would make a great all around Valiant that would be a blast to drive - I drive the Scamp everywhere and love it the Valiant just sets

Interesting. So you don't think the BB is the way to go huh? Is it just a drivability thing?

As for gears, this 742 unit is a 2.93. I really wanted to go 3.23 but I called Cass over at Dr. Diff today and the 3.23's were the most expensive gears. Go figure :) The 3.55's were a bit cheaper but I am a bit gun shy on the 3.55's. Most of my driving will be street/highway and I just don't want to be tach-in' out all the time. Maybe I'll spring for the 3.23's.

I also found out (from Cass) that my combo of SG unit and the Yukon axles I have are not a good fit. He tells me I'll have very little spline on my axles actually engaging the drive gears. He suggested an internal parts kit that would increase the engagement and remedy the situation. I really like that guy! Very friendly, knowledgeable and good prices too!

So I am still thinking 5.9 magnum. I do have the BB torsion bars. I am building a disc front brake/suspension set up right now. Should be getting some LCA's tomorrow from another member. I have my upper arms, spindles, brackets, calipers, etc. already. And I have some Super Stock springs for the rear. Not so much because I am in love with SS springs, but it happens to be what I have.

Now to figure out if if I should spring for the 3.23 gears, or just run the 2.90's for now. Decisions, decisions............

Nice! Does it have a rally dash? Let's see more

I really do need to take some more pics. No rally dash though. That'd be a neat upgrade for later if I could find one. Saw a thread here the other day where a run of the mill Valiant got a rally dash at the factory. Cool!

Just had to say - that '74 Scamp looks perfect with the '69 front end.

So I am still thinking 5.9 magnum.

Don't rule out using a 1988-1991 roller cam LA motor with Magnum heads and a Crosswind intake. The roller cam motors only need the pushrods changed to accommodate the swap, and you get the benefit of the long-snout cam with eccentric and pre-Magnum timing chain cover. As a result, you have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump, and still retain the factory V-belt brackets, pulleys, and water pump.

With a Magnum, you'll have to run serpentine with an electric fuel pump...or start changing out all the front accessories. That applies regardless if you want either V-belts or a mechanical fuel pump; either will force you into the other.

-Kurt

http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Perform...um-Carburetor-Conversion-Kit/2872455/10002/-1

Just had to say - that '74 Scamp looks perfect with the '69 front end.

Don't rule out using a 1988-1991 roller cam LA motor with Magnum heads and a Crosswind intake. The roller cam motors only need the pushrods changed to accommodate the swap, and you get the benefit of the long-snout cam with eccentric and pre-Magnum timing chain cover. As a result, you have provisions for a mechanical fuel pump, and still retain the factory V-belt brackets, pulleys, and water pump.

With a Magnum, you'll have to run serpentine with an electric fuel pump...or start changing out all the front accessories. That applies regardless if you want either V-belts or a mechanical fuel pump; either will force you into the other.

-Kurt

They ran out of valiant dashes in 68 and started using the cuda dash. I parted out a few that had it.

Interesting. So you don't think the BB is the way to go huh? Is it just a drivability thing?

As for gears, this 742 unit is a 2.93. I really wanted to go 3.23 but I called Cass over at Dr. Diff today and the 3.23's were the most expensive gears. Go figure :) The 3.55's were a bit cheaper but I am a bit gun shy on the 3.55's. Most of my driving will be street/highway and I just don't want to be tach-in' out all the time. Maybe I'll spring for the 3.23's.

I also found out (from Cass) that my combo of SG unit and the Yukon axles I have are not a good fit. He tells me I'll have very little spline on my axles actually engaging the drive gears. He suggested an internal parts kit that would increase the engagement and remedy the situation. I really like that guy! Very friendly, knowledgeable and good prices too!

So I am still thinking 5.9 magnum. I do have the BB torsion bars. I am building a disc front brake/suspension set up right now. Should be getting some LCA's tomorrow from another member. I have my upper arms, spindles, brackets, calipers, etc. already. And I have some Super Stock springs for the rear. Not so much because I am in love with SS springs, but it happens to be what I have.

Now to figure out if if I should spring for the 3.23 gears, or just run the 2.90's for now. Decisions, decisions............

To start off I'm 62 years old so my taste and likes may be different BUT there's many years of trial and error here Upon further looking at your Valiant you may leave the body alone $$$$$$$$$ and you have the sleeper look going I would not use the SS springs they will lift the car way to high try to keep the same stance you have Big blocks are great if you want to stay in town - go like hell for a short distance and smoke tires tons of fitment issues and try to keep them cool example last weekend I drove the Scamp around 400 miles mostly on freeways and not many people passed me try doing that with a big block Right now the Scamp has a tired 318 and 2 something gears your 2:93 will probably be fine this winter I'm switching the Scamp over to a LA 360 because I have a complete rebuilt one in stock if I didn't I would get the magnum but will be going with a roller cam and possibly the FItech fuel injection and I will also be changing the rear to a 3:55 sure grip BUT I have an advantage in that I have the overdrive 4 speed PS keep your A/C The set up I'm suggesting for your valiant would be a great all around car - blast to drive and enjoy and fairly easy to do also use exhaust manifolds I hate headers they are nothing but a pain

FYI here's what my ultimate a body build would be == 5.9 magnum - TBI injection - Paxton super charger - manual transmission with as many gears as possible - Tubular k frame - suspension - 4 link rear - squat it down some and enjoy

I'm working on a 68 Valiant right now also. Same as you I am stuck with what engine to use. The 273 that came with the car or the 500 inch big block that I have just waiting for something to put it in. My thought is to stick with the 273 for now and sort out all other aspects of the car and later do the swap when the car comes apart for body and paint.We will be watching to pick up tips as you do yours. Thanks !

If anybody wants a nice big block setup and if I do not sell my 69 Valiant I MAY be parting ways with the setup this winter and go small block I have some plans for my Scamp and it involves some items off the Valiant but only time will tell as I type this I'm going through my inventory

I forgot about that kit.

Definitely a consideration, though it still requires the cam snout adapter from Hughes, or a replacement cam. From what I've heard from those who have used the latter route, Lunati is one of the few cam companies willing to grind a long-snout cam casting to fit a Magnum block.

-Kurt

Don't really need the kit LA stuff will work

Don't really need the kit LA stuff will work

If you have the right LA stuff on hand.

Case in point, the OP's '68 273 will not have timing marks on the timing chain cover, and the steel marks that are on the car will be on the passenger's side. It has to be changed to match the Magnum harmonic balancer, which in itself may need to be replaced.

Likewise, the OP's water pump will be driver's-side inlet, along with the radiator. The earlier inlet will obscure the timing marks, requiring a water pump swap anyway (along with the radiator).

Frankly, if using an electric fuel pump in place of the mechanical unit isn't a concern to the OP, I'd suggest sticking with the Magnum serpentine setup for sheer simplicity and cost. The Edelbrock 7577 and the Mopar M1 #P4510018 both have the straight-out water pump bypass hose designed specifically for the Magnum water pump, along with the passenger-side offset Magnum water outlet.

Any other option will become a bit expensive unless a cheap and Mopar-plentiful pick-and-pull is nearby.

-Kurt

Well, I started working on the rear diff today. I got a 742 SG unit from dartman65 (thanks Don!) and pulled it apart as I had no clue as to the condition. I could see some critters (earwigs I think) that had taken up residence so i wanted to do a complete tear down if for nothing else than to clean everything up.

And to think I had planned to run it as it sat! Guess I need to take a close look at whatever pumpkin goes back in the housing.

-
Back