68 Valiant Signet, 2D, A/C car, build

-
Hey Chris. Where ya been, man??

I love that little valiant! Can't wait to see it evolve as you progress. What size tire do you plan on running? If they have any height at all, I'd really consider the 3.55s if you end up going small block. You'll love those gears with a 4-speed. I've got a set of 3.91s in my 68 with a 28" tire and the 340 loves them.

-Evan

If you have the right LA stuff on hand.

Case in point, the OP's '68 273 will not have timing marks on the timing chain cover, and the steel marks that are on the car will be on the passenger's side. It has to be changed to match the Magnum harmonic balancer, which in itself may need to be replaced.

Likewise, the OP's water pump will be driver's-side inlet, along with the radiator. The earlier inlet will obscure the timing marks, requiring a water pump swap anyway (along with the radiator).

Frankly, if using an electric fuel pump in place of the mechanical unit isn't a concern to the OP, I'd suggest sticking with the Magnum serpentine setup for sheer simplicity and cost. The Edelbrock 7577 and the Mopar M1 #P4510018 both have the straight-out water pump bypass hose designed specifically for the Magnum water pump, along with the passenger-side offset Magnum water outlet.

Any other option will become a bit expensive unless a cheap and Mopar-plentiful pick-and-pull is nearby.

-Kurt

If I go Magnum, I will do a full EFI engine and keep the serpentine belt. I have a 5.9 out of a 01 ram just sitting there begging to be used!

And to think I had planned to run it as it sat! Guess I need to take a close look at whatever pumpkin goes back in the housing.

Lol, it prolly would have run for a while....... :) Actually I finally got the backlash measured and it was 2X the tolerance. That mixed with the worms I could see down in there and I figured it'd be a safe bet to tear it down.

Hey, I forgot to get the thrust buttons from you the other day. Left you a message on your home line too. Give me a buzz when you get a few as I'd like to figure out a way to get those buttons from ya.

Thanks Don!

I love that little valiant! Can't wait to see it evolve as you progress. What size tire do you plan on running? If they have any height at all, I'd really consider the 3.55s if you end up going small block. You'll love those gears with a 4-speed. I've got a set of 3.91s in my 68 with a 28" tire and the 340 loves them.

-Evan

Evan! Long time!! Good to cyber-see you :) Boy I haven't been over at BBD in like, forever but I am seeing some of the same faces over here. I have belonged to FABO for a while but just haven't done much with my car since getting married in 2010.

I see the 66 in your profile pic there. Is she up and going now?

Best,

CE

-Evan

Oh and I have no idea on tire sizes yet. I have some LBP rims with good tires on 'em (forget what size) so I'll just put them on the car when I finish the rear. But, I have to do some research to figure out exactly what I want to go with. The idea is a street driver, auto-x, corner carver car.

Am I just crazy here? Just thinking out loud and wondering what y'all think.

I always wanted a 1970 Dart. (and a 70 Road Runner, but that is another can o' wurmz) I was born in 70 and I just thought it'd be cool to have a Dart from the year I came to be.

This 1968 Valiant is totally cool so when I had the opportunity to buy it I did. I love the car but I have been wondering lately if someone with a 70 Dart would trade me. Or maybe sell the Val to buy a Dart.

I still can't believe the prices I see rust free cars selling for. Add in the rare A/C, bucket seat, V8 package and I can't help but wonder what this car would go for.

What do y'all think?

CE

If I go Magnum, I will do a full EFI engine and keep the serpentine belt. I have a 5.9 out of a 01 ram just sitting there begging to be used!

Wise choice. Drop in fit, and you can get an EFI-ready A-body tank from Tanks Inc.; worst part will probably be plumbing the whole thing and re-doing the exhaust.

-Kurt

Am I just crazy here? Just thinking out loud and wondering what y'all think.

I always wanted a 1970 Dart. (and a 70 Road Runner, but that is another can o' wurmz) I was born in 70 and I just thought it'd be cool to have a Dart from the year I came to be.

This 1968 Valiant is totally cool so when I had the opportunity to buy it I did. I love the car but I have been wondering lately if someone with a 70 Dart would trade me. Or maybe sell the Val to buy a Dart.

I still can't believe the prices I see rust free cars selling for. Add in the rare A/C, bucket seat, V8 package and I can't help but wonder what this car would go for.

What do y'all think?

CE

Well now I see your brain in working overtime and you have several decisions ahead of you with what you just said - what you have in inventory and the condition of the Valiant here's my opinion again just my opinion from having been there done that. Sounds like the Valiant is a great driver just the way it sets so I wouldn't touch it except to upgrade the brakes and maybe suspension there are lots of people out there wanting just that something to drive - enjoy and be comfortable
I went with the big block because these square boxes scream for one I'm just not a fan of big blocks now on the other hand what you have again in my opinion would be much better suited in a Dart but you know your car and it's always a crap shoot buying one glad I'm not in your place even though I've been there done that I hope you make the right decision for your self remember this is for you and no one else I think some of the problem I'm having with my Valiant is that I just love driving my Scamp and being older doesn't help ether

Wise choice. Drop in fit, and you can get an EFI-ready A-body tank from Tanks Inc.; worst part will probably be plumbing the whole thing and re-doing the exhaust.

-Kurt

Tanks inc. 'zactly. Now that there is a 4 speed flywheel available with the crank position marks. And a bunch of aftermarket harnesses too.

Would like to stick with cast exhaust manifolds too b/c as dodge71demon said, headers are a pain in the butt.

I understand the stock truck magnum manifolds wont work in the A bodies, which is a shame b/c they are supposed to flow pretty well.

Kurt, I've been reading about your build and I think you found some quasi-rare exhaust manifold that worked in your B body. Will have to find out if they'd work in an A body.

I guess headers aren't the end of the world, but they are a pain to deal with and they always look like a$$ after a few years.

Tanks inc. 'zactly. Now that there is a 4 speed flywheel available with the crank position marks. And a bunch of aftermarket harnesses too.

Would like to stick with cast exhaust manifolds too b/c as dodge71demon said, headers are a pain in the butt.

I understand the stock truck magnum manifolds wont work in the A bodies, which is a shame b/c they are supposed to flow pretty well.

Kurt, I've been reading about your build and I think you found some quasi-rare exhaust manifold that worked in your B body. Will have to find out if they'd work in an A body.

I guess headers aren't the end of the world, but they are a pain to deal with and they always look like a$$ after a few years.

I wouldn't call the '92-93 manifolds quasi-rare, but they are a bit harder to come by than most. The 53006619/6618 that I'm using are known as the "truck" manifolds of the period.

That said, even though my Valiant is a slanty, it doesn't take much imagination to eyeball that the 1992/93 #53006619 LH exhaust manifold would never clear a power steering box on an A-body. No idea if it'd clear a manual box, but I have my doubts.

As for the right hand '92/3 manifold ( 53006618 ), forum member Treblig made a study of these, and pointed out that they exit very close to the firewall on an A-body. Though they're usable, I haven't heard any reports of them in practice, and how much they actually heat up the floorpan.

In short, the 53006618/6619 combo isn't particularly ideal for an A-body. Unfortunately, the obsession with headers probably means we won't see reproductions of the 340 manifolds made anytime soon (even though China is presently casting out new 1994+ style Magnum manifolds at the request of North America's parts aftermarket for late-model vehicles).

I believe Treblig was selling a hybrid A-body exhaust based on his machined manifolds. His combo uses a 340 driver's side manifold machined to 2-1/4 at the outlet, and a passenger-side 53009376 manifold from a 1990 Jeep with a 360 (roller cam LA); also machined out to 2-1/4". This is probably your best option - and his prices far beat that of a matching 340 set.

-Kurt

Evan! Long time!! Good to cyber-see you :) Boy I haven't been over at BBD in like, forever but I am seeing some of the same faces over here. I have belonged to FABO for a while but just haven't done much with my car since getting married in 2010.

I see the 66 in your profile pic there. Is she up and going now?

Best,

CE

Yeah, I know what you mean Chris. Funny how life sorta gets in the way sometimes... That's pretty much the story of my 66. Needless to say, work on it is going slowly. I picked up a 68 dart sedan to play with in the meantime though. Even has a vinyl top like yours. I just got it back up and running a couple months ago, so I'll get back on the 66 soon. Here's the old man and me buttoning up a couple things before breaking in the cam.

2015042695172755-1_zps88jv47zj.jpg

I know what you mean about the prices of these A bodies. It's insane! I have a feeling you'd take a step back selling your 68 to buy a 70 dart. From what I've seen, the post cars don't seem to draw the same sort of interest as hardtops. Unless of course you find that one guy who falls in love with that little valiant. It's a clean little car, so that's definitely a possibility. Either way, good luck man. And post up some more pics!!!

Did you say you were looking for some 3.23s? Some for sale on page3 of the "mechanical" section here.

Little more progress. I HATE trying to work on or adjust something while it is rolling around on the bench making life difficult. I made a jig to hold my 3rd member while I am setting it up. I ordered all my parts from Dr. Diff (great guy!) this week so now I'll be ready when they come in. Well almost ready. I still have to find a hydraulic press I can buy or borrow. That is one thing I haven't added to my stable o' tools yet.............

diffjig.JPG

diffjig2.JPG

diffjig3.JPG

Well got a few things done this weekend. I put a drainplug in my 8.75 rear and got the old rear end out of the car.

I bought two types of drainplugs. Both are 1/8 NPT from McMaster Carr. Both stainless steel. One has a magnet bonded to it. I'm going to make sure I don't hit anything internally with it and if it works I'll try running it. I got some other standard plugs just in case.

I ordered the plugs from McMaster b/c I couldn't find and of the recessed allen key plugs locally. And the reason for the recessed allen key plug is b/c wanted it to be a flush mount affair. As it turned out the .30 length plug was perfect. Flush on the outside and flush on the inside. Just in case someone (or me!) were to put a jack under the pumpkin, I didn't want them lifting the car by the drain plug. That'd be bad.............:violent1:

I noticed in the pics I still have a little bit of flash on the inside of the drain plug hole I'll have to get with a file. Otherwise it was really easy. Go slow and check your depth of fit every revolution of the tap or so, b/c it is a tapered thread. You don't want to go too far and discover it the hard way!

Oh and I got my parts kit and bearing kit from Dr. Diff. Looks great. The one piece side gear looks STRONG! Yay. Now I have to find a bearing seperator and hyd press. Maybe I just buy a press.

CE

drainplug1.JPG

drainplug2.JPG

drainplug3.JPG

drainplug4.JPG

drainplug5.JPG

drainplug6.JPG

drainplug7.JPG

rearout1.JPG

rearout2.JPG

Last edited:
Made a little more progress on the Valiant. I got the rear end in. Everything is painted up and looking good. Whoever said I wouldn't like the SS springs is likely right. They make the car sit WAY high. I'll probably swap them out for some Espo springs at some point. I used KYB shocks. I have since got the backing plates finished and installed along with the axles.

I'm still trying to find longer studs for the Yukon Axles and can't find those suckers anywhere.

The engine is out for a reseal. The back side was drenched in oil and I don't want to screw up the clutch. There wasn't much crap in the oil pan so that is encouraging, but this motor will only stay in for as long as it takes to get the 5.9 EFI motor together.

valcomp1.JPG

valcomp2.JPG

valcomp3.jpg

valcomp4.JPG

valcomp5.JPG

Last edited:
-
Back