69 340 Swinger Questions

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
Just have a few questions about a swinger we just picked up and I know you all can help me out! Did all 340 swingers in 69 come with the bulge hood? Or just the gts? How rare is a 340 4 speed? Its originally F5? Green with black interior. No tail stripe or vinyl top. Manual steering and brakes. Basically a race car lol. Any help is appreciated.

4 speed was standard (!!) in '69 .

Manual steering and brakes were also standard ; is the steering the Fast Ratio box ?!?!?
Its ratio is 16:1

Disc brakes were also standard , with power-assist as an option .

Remember : its engine is supposed to be blue .

.............Yes they all had the bulge hood, ..........a car well worth keeping.........kim.........
Thanks! Thats what i was thinking.
4 speed was standard (!!) in '69 .

Manual steering and brakes were also standard ; is the steering the Fast Ratio box ?!?!?
Its ratio is 16:1

Disc brakes were also standard , with power-assist as an option .

Remember : its engine is supposed to be blue .
Great information, thank you! I will post up the fender tag and see if someone can decode it for me! That would be awesome!

Yep just a plain Jane fun car!! LOL!! I believe drum brakes were standard and disks were optional. Engine was turquoise or red depending on which factory it was built at.

Attachments

• IMG_9188.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 318
not exactly rare, but highly desired! built over 20000 69 Swinger 340's.

They all had the power bulge hood. 4speed was standard. 727 was about $84.00 extra as I recall. Engines were blue, not turquoise and mine, at least, was a lighter shade than the later 318-360 blue. Closest thing I've found is Rustoleum's Harbor Blue. Cars came standard with 8 3/4" #489 rearends and 10" drum brakes

They all had the power bulge hood. 4speed was standard. 727 was about $84.00 extra as I recall. Engines were blue, not turquoise and mine, at least, was a lighter shade than the later 318-360 blue. Closest thing I've found is Rustoleum's Harbor Blue. Cars came standard with 8 3/4" #489 rearends and 10" drum brakes

Engine colour for 69 p4120752 blue-green (turquoise). That is the colour mine came from the factory with!!! I painted the valve covers way back when but the rest is original turquoise.

Attachments

• IMG_7805.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 259
Perhaps Windsor-built , Canadian-market '69 Swingers got a red or turquoise coloured motor ?

I've seen at least 2 different 1969 Swinger 340's which had their original , untouched motors in 'em ; both were Chrysler Engine Blue , and both were Hamtramck-built ; cannot recall their build dates ...

I was under the impression that '69 - '70 340 Swingers had non-power disc brakes standard ; perhaps I'm confusing this with the '69 340 'Cuda and '70 Duster 340 .

If I could go back in time and order a new '69 Swinger 340 :

- Fast Ratio manual steering
- AM.FM radio
- 3.55 / S.G.
- Paisley Top ( Dodge version of the Mod Top ; different pattern )
- White
- Green Interior ( base , with bench and rubber matting )
- Disc brakes ( if optional )
- Standard 4 speed

And don't get confused like many others,but understand that there were two types of Swingers with 340's.
You could buy a 'Swinger" with a 340, 318, /6, etc. It could be ordered with a 3 spd, 4 spd, or auto.
Or you could order a 'Swinger 340'. These were ALWAYS a 340 4 spd package car. Glad to see another car being saved. :cheers:

There 2 types of car Swinger?........I though there was just the car version & the people version:toothy10:

Learn something new every day:cheers:

Back in the day...............I had a 69 Swinger 340-4 speed,all original.The engine was terquoise.Car was yellow with black stripe and black bench interior.No p/s or p/b drum all the way around.

Just have a few questions about a swinger we just picked up and I know you all can help me out! Did all 340 swingers in 69 come with the bulge hood? Or just the gts? How rare is a 340 4 speed? Its originally F5? Green with black interior. No tail stripe or vinyl top. Manual steering and brakes. Basically a race car lol. Any help is appreciated.

Power drums were standard....I think its B51 or B52 on the fender tag and build sheet.

And don't get confused like many others,but understand that there were two types of Swingers with 340's.
You could buy a 'Swinger" with a 340, 318, /6, etc. It could be ordered with a 3 spd, 4 spd, or auto.
Or you could order a 'Swinger 340'. These were ALWAYS a 340 4 spd package car. Glad to see another car being saved. :cheers:

I may be wrong here, but as far as I know in 69 the Swinger package was introduced as a low-buck stripper 340 car only, as opposed to the more upscale GTS 340, 383 & 440 versions.

In 1970-up the Swinger model could include any motor combo and could be ordered with most options.

??

Grant

Would someone mind decoding this tag for me? Please! Here is a picture of the drivers side quarter glass. Couple of cool stickers I thought!

Attachments

• IMG00125-20101203-1351.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG00126-20101203-1351.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 186
Im confused, i have a 69 swinger, 340, auto, stripe delete, power front disc, carpet, bench seat, vinyl top, S78 wheel, etc. so is it a swinger 340 or a swinger 340?

Im confused, i have a 69 swinger, 340, auto, stripe delete, power front disc, carpet, bench seat, vinyl top, S78 wheel, etc. so is it a swinger 340 or a swinger 340?

????????????? What's the difference between a "swinger 340 or a swinger 340"???????

As with any car, you could special order as you want!

An LM23P9B_ _ _ _ _ _ or and LM23P9E_ _ _ _ _ _ is a Swinger 340 car! Just built in different plants.

Some were ordered with disc. brakes, drums were standard. rubber mat was standard and carpet was optional.

Mine is a drum brake, 4-speed, bench, carpet car. Oh yea, mines a "LM23P9B"

-
Back