-69 340 value??

-

Dusterfreak

Reaction score
Hi, I have a -69 340 sitting in my garage and im not gonna use it... But I have a problem, I dont know what to ask for it.
Its got standard bore, heads are O-heads but they need total rebuilt. Edel intake or no intake at all, no manifolds. Running engine.
What should I ask, please help me out.

? head casting number, block casting number and date, X or J heads, and last 7 of VIN ? on it

It’s gonna be really hard to give a price since the market for 340 V8’s in Finland is VERY different compared to North America. There are not many 340’s over there but then the number of folks looking for a 340 is a lot less over there.

That’s a tough question!

I love when someone says "running engine" when it's outta the car. Here's a clue. Unless you have it on a run stand, where it will fire up and run, IT AINT A RUNNIN ENGINE.

Post some pics and it will make it easier to help you.

1500? Not here. I say 800 with core heads, but how many 340's are in Finland, maybe 3?

Unless you have it on a run stand, where it will fire up and run, IT AINT A RUNNIN ENGINE.
Totally agree. It's kind of like trying to sell a car with a motor that won't run. You can say that it is a minor problem until you are blue in the face, but any sensible buyer will have no choice but to assume the engine is garbage when assessing the value. How much work/money would it take to get it running? If you could have a video of the engine running at, for example, a machine shop, it would be worth a lot more. Otherwise it is worth little more than what a rebuildable core is worth.

Well on that note; what's a basket case 340 short block worth then: help ME out,lol. Or say just the parts you would normally reuse; like the castings,covers crank and rods.

Last edited:
I love when someone says "running engine" when it's outta the car. Here's a clue. Unless you have it on a run stand, where it will fire up and run, IT AINT A RUNNIN ENGINE.

Post some pics and it will make it easier to help you.

Yes its running but I`m selling it as a project, if Im selling...

Ok. so it's still in the car. Cool. Info we couldda used. lol

It's Mopar so I love it. ..
That said, 340s are overpriced.
Yes, it's a great engine, but I can go just as fast for less.
But....if being able to say "I've got a 340" means a lot to someone, then spend the money.

Jeff

I imagine someone in Finland would pay dearly to say that they have a 340 in their Mopar and if it doesn't matter to you, then take their money.

What's wrong with the heads?

Running with no carb or distributor.... 2K easy depending on what's wrong with the heads.

In Finland a decent 340 with standard bore should fetch some good money... but it always depends what
people are willing to pay in the end. I would start obscenely high and then go from there.

Back in the days (90ies) I found a 340 motor in Switzerland and paid the equivalent of like 2300$ for it which
was a lot of money back then.

And on a side note: you guys will be surprised how many vintage american cars can be found in Scandinavia.
I once read that the biggest meeting for US cars in the world is held in .... Sweden!
Power Big Meet with 10- 12K cars a day. Don't actually know if this truly is the biggest in the world.

It's worth more over in Finland than it is here.

Double perhaps.

Here it's worth around 600 as a short block, as a bare running long block, 800-1000 depending upon how many miles.

Separated ...I break it down like this
Block -$400
Steel crank- $150-200
Floating pin rods-$100
2.02 Heads #894 $400-500 #915 $400 #587 $200....then the grey area, those heads that flow more than the others, stock racers are looking for....that can bring 2-3 times the money.
The rest is iron intakes-$150-200 stock 4brl depending on yr.
Aftermarket or direct connection stuff, era correct etc LD340,LD4B Chrysler part # number stuff can go anywhere in $300-600 dollar range. Some yrs choke tower changes, or no tower at all.
Exhaust manifolds early yrs -$500-700
Ones with the butterfly still intact at the higher end of that...though I like them without and braised holes.
Later years are barely worth more than a 360 manifold. 200 bucks

I've had 4 of them,all torn down. I've had them since the 70s,over 40 years. I've lived here for 35 years,and everybody for miles around knows they are here. Nobody has ever made me an offer on even just one of them. A few years ago, I started selling the heads to stock class racers. I think I'm down to 2 sets. So far as I can tell, they're not worth what some people say they are. People just keep sliding 268s into their stock318s and bolting on big TCs.

-
Back