69 Cuda resto

-
On another thread a guy used this stuff to repair his '69 grills you can get it at Walmart Home Depot etc:

Attachments

• PlasticWelder.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 771
I wasn't going too fast....30 mph...maybe. I got multiple surrounds from different people. In the future I may try to repair some of the other ones and see if any members want them. I'll road test mine first and see how well they hold up. Frankly I can't remember who I got them from and, stupid me, I emptied my PM box a while back. If the grilles don't hold up I'll try the Fusor.

If you want to melt them back together the best way I found to do it is a Weller soldering gun with the flat paddle attachment that comes with the kit. I have repaired a lot of bumper cover this way and the hold up well.

When we were removing the aft end of the right side rocker we found that the aft floor pan is rotted out under the forward floor pan. OH well, just more repair work.

View attachment IMG_0577.jpg

I also threw on a fender just to dream for a bit

View attachment IMG_0581.jpg

View attachment IMG_0582.jpg

Hopefully we'll have the right side rockers on this week end and we can start removing the floor. The government furlough, if it happens, has been reduced to 14 days so that's 8 less days to work on the car.....damn.

Yes, yes we are getting a lot of welding experience. The last couple of days I've been putting my fab skills (ahemm) to work. I starten fabing the patch panels for the rear floor pan. Since we lack the ability to make compound, complex bends the panels are going to be made in multiple pieces and welded together. I started by making a paper template and cutting out the piece, benbing it to shape and then building other pieces and welding them together. I started by trying to form the patch to the existing rear floor but when I matched it to the new front floor it didn't line up. I decided that the important thing was that the patch matches the new floor so I used the new front floor as my template. I think what we'll end up doing is building the patch, welding it to the front floor and then installing it as a unit, cutting out the rear floor where the patch ends. if that makes any sense!!

View attachment IMG_0637.jpg

View attachment IMG_0638.jpg

View attachment IMG_0639.jpg

View attachment DSC01126.jpg

View attachment DSC01127.jpg

View attachment DSC01128.jpg

View attachment DSC01129.jpg

View attachment DSC01130.jpg

It still needs cleaned up a bit but it's not too bad.

This is why:

Putting in this stinking hardwood floor was a NIGHTMARE!!!! First I to replace a bunch of sub-floor, easy right? WRONG!! The **** was glued to the floor joists. Then Home Depot screws up the order for the flooring, then I realize I didn't order enough. How many boxes short was I, you ask? 14 fricking boxes!!!! Then the installation of the moulding and quarter round. CRIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View attachment DSC01217.jpg

View attachment DSC01218.jpg

Well, the floor is done and, yes, yellow dog hair and cherry floors go great together. Any whooooooo, I finally made over to my mom and dads today and did a little painting on some pieces parts. My dad has been working on trunk pieces and the front cross member which I, of course, forgot to take pics of. I'll get some this week. The cross member looks great, take my word for it..HA!

View attachment DSC01138.jpg

View attachment DSC01139.jpg

View attachment DSC01140.jpg

View attachment DSC01142.jpg

View attachment DSC01143.jpg

View attachment DSC01144.jpg

I think the paint gun was one of the best investments we've made on this project!!

little by little we are getting some "small" stuff done. I finished the one side of the rear floor patch, my dad welded in braces for the front cross member and PORed it. Also, a few weeks ago he realized that the back of th car had moved and the trunk lid wouldn't close any more. No, we didn't know to put bracing in. Any way, he decided to go ahead and tack in the rear valence to hold the rear in place. A little back assward but it'll work. He aslo welded in the trunk latch fixture and the bumper brackets.

View attachment IMG_0722.jpg

Since we don't have the means to make complex bends (****, we have a hell of a time making a straight bend) I have to piece together the panels were the complex bends are. Still, no too bad. It'll work.

View attachment IMG_0723.jpg

View attachment IMG_0725.jpg

View attachment IMG_0726.jpg

View attachment IMG_0727.jpg

View attachment IMG_0728.jpg

View attachment IMG_0729.jpg

Furlogh Friday starts on July 12th. WWWOOHOOOOOO, 11 fridays off in a row (except for travelling, though)!!!!

The grilles are gonna be a while. I'm gonna send the chrome pieces off to be, well, chromed.

I finished the rear floor pan patch panel this weekend. It's 8 seperate pieces welded together. It turned out pretty good. It'll be under the front floor pan so cosmetics weren't a priority.

View attachment IMG_0773.jpg

View attachment IMG_0774.jpg

View attachment IMG_0775.jpg

I got a new piece of glass for my sand blaster so I can start stripping the seat braces and hopefully within the next few weeks we can get the floor pan in. Moving right along!!

Looks great!

Keep up the good work...

Ma Snart

Attachments

• barracuda-jpg-1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 548
Furlough Friday!!!! Got the torque boxes replaced today.

Front torque boxes in

View attachment IMG_0800.jpg

View attachment IMG_0801.jpg

Rear torque boxes removed

View attachment IMG_0802.jpg

View attachment IMG_0803.jpg

Rear torque boxes installed

View attachment IMG_0804.jpg

View attachment IMG_0805.jpg

Sammie and Nana could care less

View attachment IMG_0806.jpg

Got a birthday party to go to Sunday afternoon but I'm hoping to get over in the morning and start the prep for installing the patch panel. Last week my dad also got the left side of the car, behind the quarter, sandblasted so it's ready for primer. After I get the patch panel in it'll be time for another paint day.

I'm so glad I read this. First of all, kudos for what is clearly an intense undertaking. Secondly, you've made my project seem so much easier by comparison and have greatly elevated my appreciation for my car's sheet metal!!

PS: I got the furlough joke. A couple of our guys were out today as well.

T&T, thanks. Your car does look good. I will say though, I thought we had it bad doing our car in a crowded two car garage. I guess it COULD be worse, we could be working on it in the driveway, in the rain. Good luck brother.

I got the rear floor pan patch welded in and my dad is finishing up the A pillar patches.

got 'er welded in and sanded

View attachment IMG_0863.jpg

right A pillar patch

View attachment IMG_0864.jpg

left A pillar patch

View attachment IMG_0865.jpg

threw on some primer for corrosion control

View attachment IMG_0866.jpg

trial fit of the floor pan. Everything looks pretty good. It'll take a bit of clamping to get it down onto the front cross member better everything is straight and square!

View attachment IMG_0867.jpg

Looks good brother, I like to look at everyones projects to see that its possible to rebuild a nice car. again looking good brother cant wait to see more!

You can use #8 self tapping sheet metal screws to pull that floor pan to the cross member nice and tight. Take one out at a time and weld the holes shut.

we got the left side quarter patch spot welded on today. Hey....the left side looks like a car!!!

Got the left side prepped and installed the window regulator

View attachment IMG_0927.jpg

Got everything cut and clamped in place

View attachment IMG_0928.jpg

spot welded across the top in a few places

View attachment IMG_0930.jpg

welding is getting better

View attachment IMG_0931.jpg

I took this week off so I should be able to get quite a bit done. Hopefully I can get this side welded and at least start the other side.

-
Back