69 Dart Convertible SAVED FROM THE Grave

-
I will be using vintage air..Has anybody ever closed up the Cowl Vents?

I have put some thought into deleting the cowl vent. My ultimate goal is serviceable cabin air filter(s). Fabricating well insulated duct from cowl to somewhere near the headlight house would mean redesigning the top of the inner fender(s).
In another thread it was suggested that the air supply might be routed through the ends of the cowl ( where the drains are ).
Good luck with your project.

Good thought..Leaving the cowls presents a premature rusting problem.
it's a pain to remove the cowl and rust proof it (POR 15). Drainage, Fresh air,wiper fluid. all need to be considered.. I would love to put drainage tubes to the undercarriage, seal the cowl, like is said por 15, fresh air gets pulled in from the hats. I think i will use flex 1/2 copper drainage tubes hidden in back of the fenders soldered to the steel..I am pretty sure it would work. I'll experiment with the lead soldering of steel & copper this weekend...thanks for your input...

""fresh air gets pulled in from the hats"" You lost me there.
Regardless where the air come into the cowl you have to keep vapors and critters in mind/ out of the cabin.

under both sides of the dash there are 2 (about 6") round vents that go up to the cowl.
the covers that you would use (if you were to use vintage air) are call hats..My error.

The round vents are designed to go close to the cowl while the water that goes through the cowl runs out the fresh air comes in from those. In other words they are higher than the actual sub cowl. If i could dig up a picture I will send it to you.

A couple of updated pictures. Progress has been slow these last few weeks

Attachments

• Front bef aft.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 314
  • fl bef & aft.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 325
cool to see a 69 saved, especially a convert. 6 speed is a lot of work, but nothing compared to what you are doing. I put almost 10,000 miles on my duster real quick after swapping the 6 speed in. its nice to drive. just haven't been doing much with it lately.

Thanks for the dialog. I have done so much metal work from looking at other cars.. I would love to see an assembly manual for these.. MAYBE write one. I need to put together a few more bucks before I attempt a 5-6 speed change.. I am up to reinstalling the front
end in the dart. I gotta make it a roller so I could store it before winter hits..

ttyl

I added a couple of pictures I took of the car before I put it away for the winter.

Attachments

• 20141130_144639 small.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 236
  • 20141130_144646 small.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 20141130_144653 small.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 239
Progress is slow steady.. See what a little blasting does for the front end

Attachments

• 20150523_171847.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 20150523_171823.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 20141115_161120.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG-20140517-00146.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 203
It was a 6 cyl auto. I have gotten a 340 4 speed donor car and moved everything into this one. Pedals will go in this week.

Attachments

• driver side.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 163
  • hood open.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Pasenger side.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 152
With a black interior you color choices are practically limitless. What are you leaning toward?

Holy Shmoley, that's a lot of metal. Nice work!
I look forward to see more.

I am leaning toward Dark Blue (FORD 2013 explorer color) white leather and top.
I am almost finished with the metal(alignments etc..)
I wish someone made a sheet metal manual like they have for Chevy's

-
Back