69 Dart GT Conv. 340-6pak

-
Thanks Timmy,
You guys keep me fired up with your words of encouragement.
Again Thanks,
Martin

I had purchased a heater/ac unit from Classic Auto Air. My car was a factory AC car, so the firewall had the large hole for blower motor. With the help of "Wacodemon" (thanks Harold), I'm going to use his firewall cover template and add an extra section for covering the original heater hose outlets, also I'm going to attempt to do it all with one plate instead of two. This is where it gets tricky. I'm going to make it out of 1/8" stainless to be polished, and mount it with button head screws in stainless. I've talked to Waco about the way he made his and I'm pretty sure this will work, if I can get the holes in the right spot. The trick is, I have to mount the unit first, before marking for line holes., but in order to mount the unit I have to have the plate mounted to the firewall first (what came first the chicken or the egg?). Hear goes nothing....

View attachment 1714703380

View attachment 1714703381

View attachment 1714703382

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

TImbuck3!!! Love em.

The color is L1 beige.

Timbuck3...I didn't think anyone remembered them but me! Mark, your Dart is sweet! The drag star type wheels turn it on as far as I'm concerned. Hope mine can end up that nice.
Martin

Martim We mounted the A/C unit first with the mounting bracket on the unit setting in the hole in the fire wall . On the non air cars you use two of the holes that mount the fan to the fire wall . I looked to see if I had I pic of the fire wall before I covered it with the adapter plate I'd put some picks up of the unit inside but I have not had good luck posting pics Waco Demon

Martim We mounted the A/C unit first with the mounting bracket on the unit setting in the hole in the fire wall . On the non air cars you use two of the holes that mount the fan to the fire wall . I looked to see if I had I pic of the fire wall before I covered it with the adapter plate I'd put some picks up of the unit inside but I have not had good luck posting pics Waco Demon

Harold, you have been a big help, and I really appreciate your time and efforts. I got the pic, you sent, of the hole before you covered it with the CCA cover. It had your plate on the firewall and no cover on the AC/Heater Core lines.
Thanks again,
Martin

You better be making an additional one of those for me! Hoping an A/C install is close for my ride because these summers in FL are killer. Have to keep top up on some days!!! Not complaining but you can sweat thru your shirt in stop/go traffic.

You better be making an additional one of those for me! Hoping an A/C install is close for my ride because these summers in FL are killer. Have to keep top up on some days!!! Not complaining but you can sweat thru your shirt in stop/go traffic.

Hey Doug,
Did your car come with factory air? If not, I'll be glad to make you one also.
Martin

Martin If you want to post any of the pics I sent you , you my permission Harold
Thanks Harold,
I think the FABO family may like what you did, and maybe when mine is done, they could use either one that fits their needs better. I'll try to pull your pics from my emails and post soon.
Thanks again Harold,
Martin

Today I put the new door handles on along with the painted latches and new convertible door alignment wedges. The repo handles did not have the same working mechanism as mine, so I had to swap my original ones over to the repo handles. I greased all moving parts and put in new rod clips as well. I'm waiting on the new door locks, trunk lock, Ignition lock cylinder, and the glove box door lock cylinder. I've ordered a matching set. If I told someone that is not a car nut, that it took all day to put 2 door handles and 2 latches with hardware in, they would think I was a nut, or worse that I was a jackleg, but I swear to you thats what it took. Since the time has changed, I hope next week I can burn less midnight oil and have more daylight time to work on it....

View attachment 1714703665

View attachment 1714703666

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

Today I picked up the dash frame for the body shop, and it looks great. I hope to start reassembling soon. I have started making the AC/Heater hose bulk head for the firewall and should have it complete by this weekend. Got the door strikers in, so on they go this weekend also. Lots of Back Orders... holding me up!

View attachment 1714706893

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3227.JPG

For a couple of weeks now, I have been debating on how I wanted to make my firewall bulk head for the Classic Auto Air unit. I was never satisfied with what came with the unit for a bulk head cover anyway. Since my car was a factory AC car and the unit was for a Non AC car, I just started making templates. I started with a template that Wacodemon (Harold) made. His template was great, but it incorporated using two pieces on the firewall and I wanted mine all in one piece. I started adding areas that I wanted to cover and then made one template out of plexiglass, so I could see where the six holes needed to be once I put the unit under the dash with a bag of towels under it. I then transferred that template over to my stainless cover and cut the holes in it. All that was left was to buff it to a mirror finish. I mounted the heat/ac unit without anymore issues.

View attachment 1714707941

View attachment 1714707942

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

Wow...that looks great! If I could change one thing, I'd grind the markings off of the two hex bolts so they're smooth...then re-polish them.

Much much better! They looked like hardware store bolts before. Now they look custom.

Today I had a list of small stuff, but all has to be done at some point. First I cut, then installed the firewall insulation. I'm going to use sound deadening mat up under the firewall insulation, but wanted the oem style insulation over it for looks. Then I started laying in the repo wiring harness. I have the bulkhead connector attached to the firewall, then connected the engine bay harness to it. I'm not going to lay the engine bay harness exactly where it goes quite yet. I have mounted some things in different places from oem, ( alternator, electronic ignition etc.) and may need to route the harness a different way. I finally got to finishing the battery tray, so now its permanent. I started cutting an installing the grommets for the heat/ac lines and should finish them tomorrow. I had thought that I would be able to use the oem AC drain hole, but its too far away and too many bends from the unit, so tomorrow I'll cut a new hole.

View attachment 1714708242

View attachment 1714708243

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

Hey "V"
Good to hear from you. Nothing to be jealous about, you'll probably ride before me LOL!!! It is nice to finally work on stuff thats not so dirty though. I hope I make good progress tomorrow. The list is getting shorter only 9999 more to go.....

-
Back