'69 Formula S Back To Stock

-

Reaction score
The Car finally got here today! This will likely be the the restoration thread even though the full blown work won't start until this coming winter. Here's a couple shots of the car. I only had an hour after I got it home to dig in. Over-all i'm very happy with the car. It is always good to see a great older Mopar in very good condition with all the parts there!!!

I was happy to clean up a few stamp bosses and confirm matching numbers. A few fact about the car.

I'm the 6th owner. It lived most of it's life in California. it has been repainted. I believe the hood has been replaced. the fender tag calls out for "fender turn signal indicators" and they're not there. the dual point dist has been replaced with electronic. the intake and carb has been replaced with dual quads. I have what is supposed to be the orig carb and intake, although the numbers on the carb don't look right and there is no dash pot. The transmission has been replaced. although it was kind of the wild west in the '60's and who knows.

Attachments

• challenger1603.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 536
  • challenger1619.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 543
  • challenger1617.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 538
  • challenger1612.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 546
  • challenger1610.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 525
  • challenger1609.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 549
  • challenger1606.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 543
  • challenger1608.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 541
  • challenger1605.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 548
  • challenger1604.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 532
Very cool!!!!!!

Looks like someone through the years put some cuda' stripes on it.

Best of luck going forward.

Forget the car! Is that your garage?? Yowza!!

Nice!! I have a very similar car, 69 383-S 4 speed. Mine was stripe delete. Your car is very nice for 6 owners! It's saying R6 on the tag but looks like R4, not as dark as R6, could be the lighting. If your posting resto pictures along the way I will be following!!
Did you find a build sheet? Interesting if you do or not! Best of luck and enjoy!!!

Nice!! I have a very similar car, 69 383-S 4 speed. Mine was stripe delete. Your car is very nice for 6 owners! It's saying R6 on the tag but looks like R4, not as dark as R6, could be the lighting. If your posting resto pictures along the way I will be following!!
Did you find a build sheet? Interesting if you do or not! Best of luck and enjoy!!!

Hey Mark! Thanks! You're right, the color code is for Scorch Red. This color is more of a performance Red. That will be one of the major items to be changed back. I was told the build sheet was lost somewhere in the shuffle, so I'll have to go off the tag and research. I will post resto picts as I go when started. It will be a while though. DW and I will drive it a bit this summer/fall as I save my pennies to pay for the restoration. I'm a "pay as I go, don't owe anybody a dime." kind of guy.

Man, I was hoping these responses would be grouped in one window, like it does over at FBBO... No big deal I guess.

COOL car! 383-4spd should have carb 4615.....unless it was different for Cali??

COOL car! 383-4spd should have carb 4615.....unless it was different for Cali??

Thanks Dave. everything i've seen shows a 4711 but then again it was the wild west back then at the factory. the biggest reason I think this carb is wrong, no dash pot. of course it could have been removed at some point. either way i'd love to find a 4711 or 4615 useable carb for the car,

Took today off, Good Friday. Decided to do a little digging. Reading through the factory service manual I discovered the carb is not correct for the car and likely not the orig. Now the problem is finding a rebuildable 4615 or 4711. As stated earlier: I thought the dash pot is missing, by reading the manual only the 4711 (and likely the 4615) had the dash pot for the 340 and 383. That makes sense since my '69 340 had one. Here is a shot of the service manual. I'll see what I can dig up at some of the parts stores in the way of a rebuild kit. Will likely buy on line though...

So Dave, looks like you nailed it calling out the 4615; the 4682 I have was for the auto, no air..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 356
Very cool it get a car that looks that clean to start with

Would say make a great driver as is with the dual quads removed

Would only take one photo for some reason... Here it is on the stock manifold. Not that exciting right now but it will matter in about a year...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 316
First part arrived today! Rebuildable, numbers correct carb.

Nice carb, usually missing the 4spd dash pot!! Correct# 4615, date is a month late, but if your picky you can look for another and use this one for trade!

I think i have 2 NOS 4615's that i'll use on my cars even though the dates aren't perfect! But the carbs sure LOOK PERFECT!!!

Nice carb, usually missing the 4spd dash pot!! Correct# 4615, date is a month late, but if your picky you can look for another and use this one for trade!

I think i have 2 NOS 4615's that i'll use on my cars even though the dates aren't perfect! But the carbs sure LOOK PERFECT!!!

Thanks. Ok Dave, You've peaked my interest. school me regarding the date is month late. Relative to what date? (not going to lose sleep over it but I am curious) I assume you're talking about the J8? Teachable moment...

J8= Oct '68....your really need G, H, I '68......parts are generally any time 3 months prior to your scheduled production date....your car is 918 = Sept 18, '68

I'm not 100% sure if they used a "I" in date codes.....will look into

J8= Oct '68....your really need G, H, I '68......parts are generally any time 3 months prior to your scheduled production date....your car is 918 = Sept 18, '68

I'm not 100% sure if they used a "I" in date codes.....will look into

figured it had to do with the J8, plus I didn't know the how to read it, and forgot I posted the Fender Tag. If they didn't use "I" the carb would have been built in Sept. however; very unlikely it would have gone on a Mid-September car. As, you stated, I'll use this one and keep my eye open for an F,G or H.

Thanks for the details Dave!! :)

Reinstalled the stock intake and rebuilt 4615 carb. Retuned. I believe the car drives as it did new. it really is kind of cool to have the car run smoothly on the highway (not that it didn't before) and when you come to a light, the dash pot settles the engine into a slight lope at 750 rpm. A couple Picts of the change out. I believe the long block has never been cracked open. A lot of sludge in the lifter valley. The cam shows normal wear. Interestingly, I backed the car back into the shop after making a food run for the hound and found the lower radiator hose leaking. Probably the orig hose... :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 226
I'm sure ther are some cats that cringe at the thought of pulling those dual quads off for the stock set up however, this will be a stock restoration. The other reason I made this Change out now was because I wanted to see how the carb behaved as an important part of the restoration. When the major work begins all will be media blasted and correctly plated if applicable...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 213
its been a busy month. First chance to get the car on the lift this afternoon.. Gonna post some body shots. I suspect the car has been wrecked at some point due to what I believe are frame tears due to frame rack. Also some buckled metal. It doesn't really matter. Still a numbers car except trans. Although it is an A833. 741 rear carrier. for whatever reason only will post one pict at a time...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 163
-
Back