7 1/4 differential drain - 8 point female?

-

abgwin

Reaction score
Decided to change the differential oil in my 66 Barracuda. After waiting three days (!) for the gasket to arrive, I am now faced with removing the drain plug so I can refill it.

The problem is that I've never seen a tool to fit this plug:

61bac991.jpg

I can't find a replacement plug or cover. Advice welcome!!

Use a 3/8" ratchet or breaker bar- just be sure you get it seated all the way in before you lean on it.

Check your 7.25 rearend, if memory serves me right you need to use a 1/2" ratchet

Yes, you are correct: 1/2 is required. Thanks!

Unfortunately, it appears the previous owner installed it with an impact or pneumatic wrench. That sucker won't move.

Decided to change the differential oil in my 66 Barracuda. After waiting three days (!) for the gasket to arrive, I am now faced with removing the drain plug so I can refill it.

61bac991.jpg

Hi! Is that yellow paint remains from a paint splot or has the cover been yellow before? Never seen that before. Where is your car assembled?

61bac991.jpg

why not just go but the Torq driver that fits the plug

Hi! Is that yellow paint remains from a paint splot or has the cover been yellow before? Never seen that before. Where is your car assembled?

It appears to be a yellow paint dot. Pretty sure the cover wasn't all yellow.

My Barracuda was assembled in Los Angeles and has always been a California car.

I just acquired a new diff cover with a plug that was easily removed. In fact, a kindly FABO member sent me one.

There you go - another example of what makes this site so special. Well done you blokes! :cheers: :toothy8: :cheers:

I think it was Archemides who said "Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I will move the earth."

Tried one of these???

1/2 in. Drive 25 in. Breaker Bar

The leverage equivalent of the B.F.H.

ATB

BC
I'm only 5 yeas late...just saw your post....selling the wench you needed on ebay...was from when i had a 71/4 in my barracuda, back in the day, as they say. Hope you got her worked out by now. googled it and this post poped up.

-
Back