7 1/4 rear brake question

-

charger67

Reaction score
Hi guys got a question brakes on a '76 Dart Swinger /6 3 spd overdrive. It has 4 wheel drum brakes with 5 on 4" bolt pattern. Did this model come with 10" rear. According to Rock auto listing the Swinger came with 10" drums on all corners. The rear was swapped out for and auto rear with 9" brakes a few years ago. We have the original 3.23 rear in pieces which had 10" backing plates but when we took the axles to the machine shop he told us the bearings were for 9" rear brakes and may not work with this rear. Will the 9"brake bearing cause problems with 10" brakes. Did this car come originally with 10" or 9" brakes? What the difference between the two size of bearings?
Thanks
Guy

I am sure someone that knows will chime in but I dont think a 76 would have been factory with the 4 inch bolt pattern. It should have come with 4.5.

A- bodies with drum brakes were 5 on 4" bolt pattern all the way thru 1976. Disc brake cars after 73 were large or 5 on 4.5" pattern

Clarify what parts you wanting to use. on the bearings I'd think the same & not sure what the machine shop is after. You could compare the 9" & 10" axles (the bearings) side by side

In Canada, research shows that all 73up, V8,cars were 5 on 4.5, and all were disc front/ 10inch drum rear.Can't say about slantys, but rumor has it by 74 the Canadian slantys were this way too.The vin tag may be of help. But if it was born with all drums and sbp, then the 9inchers would have been standard.

Your post is rambling and it's possible to decipher it a couple of different ways.
The axles that went to the machine shop were out of what? The original rear with 10"brakes? or the current rear with 9"brakes? Are both rears 7.25ers? Or is the original rear an 8.25? as far as I know, all 8.25ers were lbp and 10"ers. So you see how confusing this can get.
If both rears are 7.25ers then the bearings are the same.The 7.25ers were available in both bps and both brake sizes
And then theres the late bunch, with the funny looking covers......
This can all be solved relatively simply, by measuring the housing that the axles came out of.

You gave me the answer I was hoping for that all 7 1/4 bearings are the same, right? What's this about the late bunch with funny looking covers?
And of course the housing is off to the powder coating shop!
this a strange car being a '76 Swinger which people have argued didn't exist, it's a /6 with 3sp OD, with drums and 4" bolt pattern, ect....
The axles in question that went to the machine shop are out of the original 7 1/4 3.23 rear which had 10" backing plates but the machinist there says the bearings are for 9" brakes and had a different part number for 10". Both rears are 7 1/4.

OK, beginning in 73 they changed the housing ends on the 7.25 so that backing plates would be interchangeable with the 8.25. The also went to the larger bearing at that time.
Everything else about the rear is the same.

76 was an odd year for a body cars because it was the last year for it and the first year for the F body and I had one that used the f body power booster,the steering wheel and a few other similarities that I never saw on any earlier a bodies. It could have been a late 76 Dart too.

Kinda like the 75/76 Dusters. I'm pretty sure I once saw a Duster with the transverse T-bars, like the Fcars.

I can't say the 7.25s are all the same bearings irregardless of brake size. Logic would say they would be, but I just don't know.
I can't recall ever seeing a 7.25, with 10" brakes AND a sbp.
I have seen lots with 10" and bbp.
I just always kick 'em to the curb.

Wait, you sent your 7.25 housing out for powder-coating.... Are you pulling my leg?

yup AJ, it's my neighbour's car and he dropped the axles off at the machine shop and the housing for powder coating. I'm going to tell him to wait until the housing is done before he orders the bearings
Thanks Whitepunkonnitro, that tip on 73 and up changes helps.

Thanks again everyone

What WPK said jogged my memory. iirc the 7&1/4 BBP and SBP axles with installed bearings wont interchange into the same housing cuz of the housing end/bearing change he spoke of. I'm wondering if that is what the machine shop is sayin...

-
Back