7 1/4 suregrip

-

Mogre

Reaction score
Came across one of these on the weekend.
Any idea what it is for, out of or value?
I have never seen one before.
Thanks in advance.

You will get a lot of people who will tell you its junk or why bother. Realistically you can get around $200-$250 depending on condition. I got a nice clutch style one on here for less then that but it was one heck of a deal.

I'd NEVER say they were junk...I'm one of the few people who actually LIKE those rears for lightweight cars. But, it's been my experience that 7.25 people are on the frugal side. The few SG's I have come across were both bought and sold cheaply.

If I remember correctly, try $400 to $500 on ebay, Just for the Sure Grip.

Ok, gotta be realistic here for a minute. The only viable market for expensive 7.25 stuff is early A body guys who are restoring their cars to the letter, and have no choice but to drop bucks if they want the part. The vast majority of the 7.25 market is guys who have later cars and CAN'T afford the upgrade to even an 8.25. You're gonna be hard pressed to milk any kind of cash out of those guys.
Think about it..$500 will get you an early B 8.75 with gears and a SG that will just about fall into an A body.

I just bought a sure grip 8.25 for $200 complete with drums and everything.
so I cant see it being worth much more than $200 bucks. I see open 8.75 rear ends quite often for 200 - 300 bucks but they are always 600 miles away. thats why I bought the 8.25 sg and I still had to drive 100 miles each way to get it. I live in the middle of the moutians , nearest big city is 8 hours away.

WHY WHY WHY aside from the number matching thing, would anyone want it?

I'm not saying it is logical, but I've seen them go that high. And on eBay that means that at least 2 people were willing to pay that much. Why? Why would you run a Chevy? Doesn't make sense to me...

Ok, gotta be realistic here for a minute. The only viable market for expensive 7.25 stuff is early A body guys who are restoring their cars to the letter, and have no choice but to drop bucks if they want the part. The vast majority of the 7.25 market is guys who have later cars and CAN'T afford the upgrade to even an 8.25. You're gonna be hard pressed to milk any kind of cash out of those guys.
Think about it..$500 will get you an early B 8.75 with gears and a SG that will just about fall into an A body.

I would run one in my 68 ragtop even though I do have 2 a-body 8 3/4s and 1 8 1/4 out back because I won't be doing anything but normal driving. The biggest reason would be that I don't have to pull the rearend or have a driveshaft built/modified.

I wouldn't pay $500 for one, more likely around the $200 area.

I found out my duster has one when I ran the numbers off of it. Changed the oil in it just two days ago and it still looks brand new! Side note I changed the oil in my gf jeep and the rear end guts are exactly the same. So if a 96 jeep and a 72 duster both run the same basic setup they had to be good enough to keep using them. Which got me thinking how hard would it be to use axles out of a jeep so I could have the discs and big bolt pattern?

I found out my duster has one when I ran the numbers off of it. Changed the oil in it just two days ago and it still looks brand new! Side note I changed the oil in my gf jeep and the rear end guts are exactly the same. So if a 96 jeep and a 72 duster both run the same basic setup they had to be good enough to keep using them. Which got me thinking how hard would it be to use axles out of a jeep so I could have the discs and big bolt pattern?

You could just find a 7 1/4 bbp rearend out of an 73 up A-body and put your sure-grip in it and be done. People are more than willing to sell that rearend cheap.

I have a '70 Dart /6 that has a sure grip 7-1/4. I always thought that was a little strange. lol

Thanks for all the info. btw love the rubber on the road!
I believe it is the cone type but will verify.
Will bring it to Carlisle in July if anyone is interested.
Thanks again.

The reason people ordered them from the factory on low performance cars like a /6 was not for traction at the drags but traction in the snow and ice. It amazing how people got by in the 70s before the mainstream use of 4WD and FWD in the northern climates. A 68 /6 Valiant with a limited slip and a set of chains in the trunk and you were up a logging road looking to put a deer on the trunk.

-
Back