7 1/4 To 8 3/4 drum brakes

-
Just went through this on Friday. Nothing from your 7 1/4 will work on the 8 3/4...NOTHING. Even the ubolts and shock plates are different. The only thing you can save would be the leaf springs.
Drums swap....and lug nuts...other than that, not much.

For A body 10" small bolt pattern rear brakes the parts interchange between the 7.25 rear and 8.75 rear brakes is everything EXCEPT the backing plates.
Offset and axle mounting flange are different.
One plate WILL NOT bolt in place of the other.

part numbers for shoes, wheel cyls., etc. are the same for both.

8.75 axle shim placed over 7.25 small bolt backing plate. Makes it a pretty obvious no-go.

100_4435.jpeg

Why do you disagree? I just did this swap, and my old 7.25 drums fit my new 8.75 rear end perfectly. backing plates did not swap.

its the "other than that, not much" part thats wrong.
its virtually EVERYTHING except the backing plates.
not just drums and lug nuts.

its the "other than that, not much" part thats wrong.
its virtually EVERYTHING except the backing plates.
not just drums and lug nuts.
Well, I never reuse old brake hardware, and since the rest was new, I put all brand new hardware on my 8.75, other than drums, so I didn't know that.

Last edited:
Stuff doesnt rust so much here so parts like levers and struts dont go bad.
Springs if they look good, but cups springs pins new if available.:thumbsup:

damn, three year old thread back form the dead.
Haha I'm just reading this now.

Wondering the same question, putting Sbp 7.25 backing plate on sbp 8.75 and drilling the extra hole.

But as it turns out (from this old thread)

You can't?

Narrowing down a bbp b body 8.75 to a body length but using sbp axels shafts to fit the narrowed housing out if a deamon as I got a.good deal on them and I want to keep my stock steelies which are 5 on 4

So, on the look for sbp.8.75.backing plates now i guess?

Last edited:
-
Back