70’ Dodge Dart won’t start

-

Vandal

Reaction score
Hello I just bought me a 1970 Dodge Dart custom yesterday and was in good running condition today I changed the spark plugs and while I was doing so I thought “hey I’m changing the cables either way why plug back in right ? “ well I fucked up and now i don’t know what cables go where and the car won’t turn on, I have done some research found out it could be 1-5-3-6-2-4 can anyone help me on this one, if that is the sequence, and also how can I find witch is number 1. Thank you in advance .

upload_2020-4-25_9-12-38.png

I’m very new to classics, how can I do that ?
Take the plugs out and put your finger over the number one hole. And turn the engine over by hand And when you feel it creating pressure keep turning it till you get all the way to the top. You can use a tdc stop tool but I use a screwdriver. Just be careful not to wedge the screwdriver in the piston.

I’m very new to classics, how can I do that ?

easiest way which will be close enough is to pull #1 plug. put your finger over the plug hole, rotate the engine until it pretty much blows your finger off the hole and stop. line the timing mark up wit 0 and the rotor will be pointing to where #1 plug wire goes.

Take the plugs out and put your finger over the number one hole. And turn the engine over by hand And when you feel it creating pressure keep turning it till you get all the way to the top. You can use a tdc stop tool but I use a screwdriver. Just be careful not to wedge the screwdriver in the piston.
Let me clarify the screwdriver is just to feel the location of the piston. do not rotate the engine with the screwdriver in the plug hole!

I would hold off on trying to find top dead center

all we did is put in new plugs, and swap wires, right?

pull the distributor cap and you will see a little rotor underneath
compare it to the picture in post #5 and you will see which cylinder is about to fire

BUT that really doesn't matter since you didn't mess with any of that

put the wires on as show in #5 and she should fire right up

-
Back