70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
18 degrees out, 20-25 mph wind, 36 x 28 shop, radiant heater on 2nd lowest thermostat setting, and I walked in and it’s 70 degrees in here.

IMG_1206.jpeg

My son works for an Hvac company. In sales. I've been begging him for a deal on a radiant heater solution for garage. He claims his are too big. But he also knows I'm a believer in over kill.

I don't think he has the pull that I was led to believe. Lol. But now that this year's first cold snap came late. I may re-engage with my begging.

Radiant heats up everything so nice. Small blower on it too so it warms the whole shop. I kicked around building a block garage but decided on a couple rows of blocks then wooden frame so I could insulate everything. The few coarses of block makes it safer to weld, burn, scrub the floors.

I'm out here in the garage with my propane forced air heater now, it's not bad. getting an idea where I want to mount my heater I'll order that today. I think my anglo Saxon blood line really helps me in the cold lol.

So I'm contemplating cutting an inch below this black line and making a flange to mount my tunnel. I believe I'll gain an inch of clearance between the floor pan/tunnel and won't get into the gas pedal area, for my trans shield.

IMG_20240114_135925646_HDR.jpg

So I'm contemplating cutting an inch below this black line and making a flange to mount my tunnel. I believe I'll gain an inch of clearance between the floor pan/tunnel and won't get into the gas pedal area, for my trans shield.

View attachment 1716192225

Check your rule book first. I can’t remember how much of that you can take out before you need more bars.

I know when I had to make a foot box for my car it was a giant PITA because I never planned for it and getting enough bars to keep the rules freaks happy was hard to do.

Check your rule book first. I can’t remember how much of that you can take out before you need more bars.

I know when I had to make a foot box for my car it was a giant PITA because I never planned for it and getting enough bars to keep the rules freaks happy was hard to do.
I have to add a rocker bar I believe it's called but I will be adding that anyways because of my more than 1 sq foot of floor being replaced.
I'll also be welding a flange to tie what I can of the firewall to the front frame rails and tying the floor into that as well.
Edit, a square foot of firewall modification only requires a dash or lower front window bar.
Rocker bar is for a modified floor

Last edited:
Well, I have to get a transmission blanket and a flex plate shield. Called A&A transmission.
They tried to buy out csr and csr wanted too much money for the company so they said f that and are going to develop their own.
But this will be months out.
I obviously have no idea how fast my car will be but I'm just building it as if it will run in the 9s.
I have a feeling I'm going to making a fairly chubby car with all of the bracing and floor plans but safe is way better than what it was. I think my front spring box would have eventually tore through the floor.

Well, I have to get a transmission blanket and a flex plate shield. Called A&A transmission.
They tried to buy out csr and csr wanted too much money for the company so they said f that and are going to develop their own.
I obviously have no idea how fast my car will be but I'm just building it as if it will run in the 9s.
I have a feeling I'm going to making a fairly chubby car with all of the bracing and floor plans but safe is way better than what it was. I think my front spring box would have eventually tore through the floor.

It runs what it runs. Main thing is get out and have fun safely.

It runs what it runs. Main thing is get out and have fun safely.
Yes I can't wait to start making progress again.
I've got my garage heater ordered and it should be here Friday. I've got the rest of my steel so I can get going on my frame and floor this weekend. Firewall clearance ill have to wait next weekend unless someone has the same bb727 tci flex plate shield they could measure for me.
Once I get done with the metal fab it'll be bolt stuff on the car, build my transmission, set up my dana and I'm sure a thousand things will pop up but I'm feeling good, I'll get it done for this season.

Please let us know when they come out with at least the blanket, might be looking to get one.

Please let us know when they come out with at least the blanket, might be looking to get one.
A&a has in stock 2 version of blanket I will be ordering a long which is case to tail shaft.
Prices aren't too bad, $ 350.00 for the long one if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
A&a has in stock 2 version of blanket I will be ordering a long which is case to tail shaft.
Prices aren't too bad, $ 280.00 for the long one if I remember correctly.
Ah, so it’s the flex plate shield they are developing, gotcha. Need to get back to the track when they open back up in feb to see what I run with the engine updates and new torque converter.

Ah, so it’s the flex plate shield they are developing, gotcha. Need to get back to the track when they open back up in feb to see what I run with the engine updates and new torque converter.
They're developing the csr shield which is carbon fiber from the front bell to the case. If you have a blanket it's good to 10s, the steel flex plate shield is additional and necessary for 9s.
Together they're good for 6s

You can still do your mods without a blanket and allow the expected room. If you look for the build pics of my car I have a ton of tubes in my floor and it's still light. I also have the tunnel and floor 'flanged' around the transmission. At some point it may be easier to do your own floor 'tin' especially if the old floor is cut out. With that said it's difficult to duplicate the 'shear-plate' strength of the factory floor in consideration of weight and integral strength.

This was funny. I took a shower this morning and was looking at my wife's shampoo apparently the coconut oil separated from the shampoo because it's so cold upstairs.
I am enjoying this cold , I'm not even kidding.
I

I also enjoy 4 seasons. Do you have a source of fire wood? A wood burner would make a fantastic source of additional heat.

I also enjoy 4 seasons. Do you have a source of fire wood? A wood burner would make a fantastic source of additional heat.
I have an unreliable source of firewood, red fir and 2 fireplaces in the house
there's lots of apple and cherry wood around here but they want extra for it since restaurants like it for smoking meat. My house is 96 years old. Not very good at holding heat. I have an old oil heater I need to get going again, and a wood stove id like to figure a place to use. But 300-350 per cord is cheaper than electric heat in my house. I've used 2.5 cords already this winter lol

You can still do your mods without a blanket and allow the expected room. If you look for the build pics of my car I have a ton of tubes in my floor and it's still light. I also have the tunnel and floor 'flanged' around the transmission. At some point it may be easier to do your own floor 'tin' especially if the old floor is cut out. With that said it's difficult to duplicate the 'shear-plate' strength of the factory floor in consideration of weight and integral strength.
Thank you, Do you know what the thread name or names might be? I'm very interested in checking out additional ideas (especially on your car)

They're developing the csr shield which is carbon fiber from the front bell to the case. If you have a blanket it's good to 10s, the steel flex plate shield is additional and necessary for 9s.
Together they're good for 6s
I've been meaning to ask what are performance expectations with the 470? Hoping to get to the 9.90s?

I was hoping in my 451 effort. But stuck in 10.20s. (Single carb, N/A) I'm setup for a shot of nitrous. But have no experience with. Plus it makes me feel that I'd be using "Cheater gas" lol.

My Duster chassis is not set for anything under 9.90s anyways. I'm guessing your Dart simular?

I've been meaning to ask what are performance expectations with the 470? Hoping to get to the 9.90s?

I was hoping in my 451 effort. But stuck in 10.20s. (Single carb, N/A) I'm setup for a shot of nitrous. But have no experience with. Plus it makes me feel that I'd be using "Cheater gas" lol.

My Duster chassis is not set for anything under 9.90s anyways. I'm guessing your Dart simular?
I'd be happy with 10.00ish for now. It may run in the 9s but I'm building it to be 8.50 cert chassis.
it will be all steel until I start building glass parts. Sorry for the italics lol

Hell of a build Sean, very very nice work.

Do you have a build thread on your car ?

Do you have a build thread on your car ?
I did at sometime. Got tired of talking about. So I surf and live vicariously thru others efforts. Lol. But essentially 451 12.4:1 comp on E-85 metered single 1050 (4150) carb. B1/BS Heads. Cam is nothing too hot at .585 lift mech flat tappet.

Heads have more porting room. And cam could be improved. But it's new and functional. (Not comfortable pulling components that are working fine. Knowing I'm perfectly capable of screwing up something that doesn't need fixing. Lol.)

451.jpg

dash (2).jpg

-
Back