70 dart 470 ci drag car build.

-
I spent a few more hours in the garage today grinding all the spot welds and peeled up the rest of the floor.
As I got to the rear seat area, I realized there's a few things I can do to make my junk just a little bit better.
When I get there I'll take a picture and explain.

IMG_20240108_124630760_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240108_150459377_HDR.jpg

Good time to mock up the driveshaft loop too. Mine was a pain trying to get it just right aftereverything else went in…. Especially the exhaust

Nice work! keep it going. Make sure to work the tunnel area now for any clearances you foresee!
Thanks, I think I have a plan for that, I want to set the engine & trans back an inch so Ill have to do a little work on the firewall. Most likely cut & flange but I need to put some more thought into this, there's a lot that will need to be addressed.
But I don't have to worry about ordering factory parts to modify, just make my own.

Good time to mock up the driveshaft loop too. Mine was a pain trying to get it just right aftereverything else went in…. Especially the exhaust
Yes, I need to figure out what I am going to use.
I'd like to build a cross member with an integrated loop. 1 in the front and 1 in the rear.

Yes, I need to figure out what I am going to use.
I'd like to build a cross member with an integrated loop. 1 in the front and 1 in the rear.

That's a good thing to do while the suspension is disassembled and floor is removed. It is nice to have extra tunnel clearance in that area. If you measure carefully you can get a loop coped into the existing rectangle tube section of the cross member.

I went 1-5/8 on my charger due to this being a structural section. You have to be careful not to intrude into the seat placement or pedal box when doing a tunnel mod. Nothing worse than aedal box for size 6 feet lol.

That's a good thing to do while the suspension is disassembled and floor is removed. It is nice to have extra tunnel clearance in that area. If you measure carefully you can get a loop coped into the existing rectangle tube section of the cross member.

I went 1-5/8 on my charger due to this being a structural section. You have to be careful not to intrude into the seat placement or pedal box when doing a tunnel mod. Nothing worse than aedal box for size 6 feet lol.
Are you talking about the 1-5/8 tube loop ?

Following along, I'm at the same stage with the floors on my car. I think I'm going to cut the rest of the bellhousing bump on the firewall off, I'm done fighting with those bolts if I don't have to. So maybe look into that.

Following along, I'm at the same stage with the floors on my car. I think I'm going to cut the rest of the bellhousing bump on the firewall off, I'm done fighting with those bolts if I don't have to. So maybe look into that.
Yeah I will have to check my foot on the gas pedal. I need to make sure this pos isn't uncomfortable too lol.
I bought a rod of 3/8 grade 8 to make studs in an effort to make that easier than trying to mess with bolts .

Thanks, I think I have a plan for that, I want to set the engine & trans back an inch so Ill have to do a little work on the firewall. Most likely cut & flange but I need to put some more thought into this, there's a lot that will need to be addressed.
But I don't have to worry about ordering factory parts to modify, just make my own.
Don't bother moving the engine back any, trust me it'll be fine and the troubles you'll create, you'll regret having done that.

I spent a few more hours in the garage today grinding all the spot welds and peeled up the rest of the floor.
As I got to the rear seat area, I realized there's a few things I can do to make my junk just a little bit better.
When I get there I'll take a picture and explain.

View attachment 1716189617

View attachment 1716189618
Is there enough tubing length to tweak the downbars below the weld to land on the T-bar crossmember and eliminate the added 2x3?

Does anyone know how thick a trans blanket and a bell housing shield deal is ? I just want to make sure I'm making it easier with clearance.

Does anyone know how thick a trans blanket and a bell housing shield deal is ? I just want to make sure I'm making it easier with clearance.

That’s kind of a hard question unless we know what direction you are heading. The transmission blankets have gotten much better and thinner over the years but the shields take quite a bit of room. Im
Guessing 727???

That’s kind of a hard question unless we know what direction you are heading. The transmission blankets have gotten much better and thinner over the years but the shields take quite a bit of room. Im
Guessing 727???
Yes 727, whatever I need in case it runs in the 9s
I guess I also need to know if the blanket and shield serve the same purpose is a blanket a better option because of possibly holding in fluid in case of total destruction.

-
Back