70 Dart Swinger guage cluster removal???

-

weldedrail

Reaction score
Trying to remove the guage cluster from my 70 dart swinger. It is the non rallye type, 0-120 mph, etc. Have all the screws on the front removed and can get it almost all the way out by tilting the top forward but the bottom of the cluster in the back will not clear the metal dash frame on the bottom as it has a round lip sticking down. I am afraid to do too much prying on 40 year old plastic so I am on here hoping somebody will know what to do.

is everything disconnected in the rear of the cluster..

and sometimes you need to lower the steering cloumn

even with the steering column all the way loose, everything unhooked, they can be difficult. On my 69, tilt it down then slide toward the drivers door, gently but firmly working it out of the opening.

i had to drop my column all the way down and hold it. then roll the cluster out that seemed to be the easyest of the 5 ways i tryed lol

If this is a column shify car, move the shifter to neutral before lowering the column. Pulling down on the column while the shifter is in park can alter the linkage/neutral safety switch adjustment.

Remove the wiper switch, the headlight switch knob, make sure that the wiring harness is unhooked from the back of the cluster (there is a little loop on the back of cluster). Remove all the lights from the back of the circuit board. If you feel yourself getting frustrated, take a break, and try again later. It is a PIA, I did this last month.

Ok, I will try again this evening. I didnt have anything in the back unhooked but I did drop the colum. I guess the speedo cable and wires have to come loose. Was hoping to avoid that, really not looking forward to hooking them back up. Speedo isnt working right now, (have the ticket to prove it), lol. Maybe I will put in a new cable while im upside down. At least the seats are out so its easy to get under the dash.

After you have done this a few times it gets easier. I can pull the instrument panel while sitting in the drivers seat but I've had too much practice. LOL
I strongly recommend a service manual for anyone attempting these sort of repairs.

Well...It's out anyway. I broke off the 5 pins on the drivers side that plug into the harness. Only found 4 of them. Anybody have any luck soldering these back on? I think they broke off before I realised that they needed to be unplugged as when I reached back to unplug it it was already broke off with 3 of the pins left in the plug. I searched around and found another of the broken pins so I have 4 of 5. Need a replacement pin and some luck soldering or a replacement circuit board with intact pins.

That sucks. I had one pin come off in the connector head on mine. I just ran a small screw through the circuit board in its spot and it's worked so far. I might have covered the back of the screw in super glue to keep it held in the board. Just don't let the super glue go through the hole because it might stop the continuity. I don't know if soldering will work since theres probably nothing to solder it to.

Now you got me thinking, maybe I can run screws through the back and solder as well. Or find a pin that is the same size pre-drill the circuit board with a pin vise and run it through the back. Might be stronger than original.

There isn't space or insulator on the backside for a head of any kind. Attempt to fix those broken pins is a waste of time.
Just replace the board.

Does anybody make the boards or am I going to have to scour the land looking for a used one? I have been looking for the correct heater / ac control for this car for about 5 years, got one off a valliant in there for quite awhile now and it works but is not even close to being correct.

I found the circuit boards for about $100 each or $160 for a pair...just another dang expense. Still may attempt a repair before I drop a hudo.

Is the instrument panel the same as a 73 swinger by chance? I may have a spare instrument panel...

Good used boards should be available at a much better price. If you had only one broken or loose pin I would suggest bypassing that connection but with several pins broken you would need several wire colors on hand ,etc.. Ask anyone who has services a e-body panel. Those dont have printed circuit boards. Every wire connects in a different place. Good luck

-
Back