70 Duster 340 without Rallye Dash?

-

srunge55

Reaction score
HI FABO,

I just bought a 70 340 Duster and everything looks good except on thing; it doesn't have a rallye dash. As I understand it all 340 Duster's were rallye dash cars. Also the fender tag for this car has A62. I have the fender tag and the vin is on the dash and inside the door. The body numbers match the vin and don't appear to be monkeyed with. The engine and transmission numbers also match the vin. I can see the car was originally and EF8 car which matches the fender tag. Plus a lot of the other fender tag options appear correct to this car. I suppose there are only 3 possibilities:
1. The car is a rebody
2. Somebody took out the rallye dash and riveted the vin back onto a standard dash. That does make a lot of sense to me but you never know.
3. Factory mistake? Has a 3/20 build date, is it possible they ran out of rallye dashes (I know that a stretch)?

Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

HI FABO,

I just bought a 70 340 Duster and everything looks good except on thing; it doesn't have a rallye dash. As I understand it all 340 Duster's were rallye dash cars. Also the fender tag for this car has A62. I have the fender tag and the vin is on the dash and inside the door. The body numbers match the vin and don't appear to be monkeyed with. The engine and transmission numbers also match the vin. I can see the car was originally and EF8 car which matches the fender tag. Plus a lot of the other fender tag options appear correct to this car. I suppose there are only 3 possibilities:
1. The car is a rebody
2. Somebody took out the rallye dash and riveted the vin back onto a standard dash. That does make a lot of sense to me but you never know.
3. Factory mistake? Has a 3/20 build date, is it possible they ran out of rallye dashes (I know that a stretch)?

Any info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
* How does the Vin # start? the first 4..

.........Any factory 340 70 duster I've seen has had a rallye dash..........I'd be kinda suspic
sous..............kim........

Its a VS29 vin. Fender tag looks right also and matches the vin. I thought I was getting a good deal and somehow overlooked the dash. I do lean more toward someone removing the original rallye dash.

Thanks,

Steve

Check the VIN on the rad cross member, that will tell you if it has been rebodied.

Check the VIN on the rad cross member, that will tell you if it has been rebodied.

I believe the last 6 digits of the vin on stamped on the rear package tray also on Demons and Dusters.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=218557

"The rear numbers on a Duster are not usually in the trunk rail area. Look on the package tray, driver side, between speaker hole and window channel."

ShelfVIN.jpg

What do the rivets look like on the dash vin tag? Are they rosette rivets:

attachment.php

DSC_6748.jpg

The rivets are wrong but all the body numbers match. I am going conclude that the dash was swapped at some point.

Next question, does anyone have a rallye dash frame frame for sale?

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Does it look recent? Basically: considering what the car looks like, does the VIN plate and rivets' condition (fading, dust, etc.) match? Basically: did the seller do this, or did some dude with a leisure suit, and a pompadour do this during Carter's presidency?

Considering THAT, my next move would be to get the car on a lift and look for collision damage and/or repairs...because the FIRST reason I can think of for going to the trouble someone went to would be the dash was damaged in a wreck!

-
Back