'70 Duster 440

-
Guys at a local hot rod body shop have been doing the final block sanding on my car. Supposed to pick it up tomorrow and then take it back in a few weeks for color.

In the mean time I've built a floor shift column, rebuilt the heater box, and rebuilt the wiper pivots - among other things. Details are on the site.

blockingatearharts.jpg

finishedcolumn.jpg

heaterboxfront.jpg

heaterboxrear.jpg

newgasket.jpg

Preston as usual I'm Impressed. your attention to detail puts many of us to shame. can't wait to see the finished paint.

I'm real interested in the smaller heater blower motor. I won't be putting in a big
block but. the smaller size should really clean up the engine compartment.
do you have a part number or source for them.

Richard

Thanks Richard. You know I don't have much info on the motor. There was a guy on another board name Jerry Boschert a couple of years ago who had found a source for a few motors and bought them all. They weren't OEM replacements but the bolt pattern and diameter were the same. The shaft is slightly different requiring a bushing which he supplied. I JB welded the bushing on, then ground a flat on one side so the squirrel cage would fit on. Seemed to work fine.

I located a address and phone number for him if you or anyone is interested. I think the next best options are either a rear defrost motor or the heater box mod outlined over at BigBlockdart.com: http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,13995.0.html

I like your attention to detail, plus the fact that you are personalizing your car. It's smart to leave the bodywork to others. I'm doing my own, and I've already spent three frustrating months, and just recently started the paint process. Many professional restorers do not do work as good as yours. Keep us posted. Howard ( Renton Wa)

Thanks Howco4. I haven't decided 100% whether to have the body shop spray the color - especially after having good luck today painting some smaller parts myself.

I decided to do the hinges, brackets, fasteners etc. Boy does it make a difference getting some color on things!

I've been using Akzo-Nobel products (U-tech and Lesonal Primers, Sikkens) from my friend who runs a supply shop. The body shop uses this line too but they prefer Matrix Systems clear because is polishes better. Mixing topcoat brands is generally a no-no but they've been doing it for 2-3 years with no problems - and they do top notch work - a lot of hot rods and restos.

Anyway, the Matrix products are about 1/2 the cost of Sikkens or PPG. A gallon of clear and hardender was under $100 with tax. The supplier claims the big manufacturers recently settled big court cases for price fixing which would explain the outrageous prices for paint these days.

So, I sprayed Lesonal base in Street Hemi Orange (V2) followed by two coats of Matrix clear. They both went on and look great. You can even see the tiny bit of metallic in the orange - something I couldn't see in the old factory finish. I used a DeVilbiss GFG 670 Plus gun.

Paintedpieces.jpg

CU Painted bracket.jpg

CU Painted hinge.jpg

Hi Preston, I have been keeping track with your work and I love it... I have probably visited your site like 500 times looking for updates during the summer since I was looking for windshields and stuff, keep it up and I am really excited to see her when she is finished

Lookin good! I think you should spray it yourself with how everything has turned out so far I am sure it will look good.

Thanks guys. Hey vkarapanos, why don't you show us some pics of what you're working on there in Greece?!

I haven't started on my big project yet, and it is going to some time before I do, but tommorow I will be getting some stuff for my lady from your country and I am excited like a small child would be. The stuff include suspension bushings, edelbrock IAS shocks, an idler arm, anti-sway bars from www.performancesuspension.com/moparfek.htm, fuel tank with sending unit and a fuel cap. These stuff are not part of my big project but they are indispensable in order to keep the car going smoothly until I start. I will send some pics this weekend but do not expect something fancy.

On Saturday my friend Scott and I finished shooting "small" parts. Below, he's getting ready to shoot black while I took care of the underside of the deck lid, mirrors, and grille panels in B/C orange.

Next up: body, doors, and fenders!

ScottInBooth.jpg

Well, it's on the trailer and I'll be heading over to the booth soon. Wish us luck - we'll be squirting color tomorrow morning. I'll have her back tomorrow night ready for reassembly. At least, that's the plan.

Oh... And I hate snow!

OffToPaint.jpg

what a gorgeous color. im only starting the body work and i can't wait till its finally time to paint.

Only an hour to bake the paint? What temp is the booth for this time?

Thanks. I think this booth was hitting about 120. It was snowing when it came time to take it home tonight. Luckily I'm only a couple of blocks from the place. Barely made it since it's uphill most the way. Once I got it in the shop I took a couple of big cotton bath towels and chamoised it off. Looked fine. Baking sure beats waiting overnight or longer.

Preston -looks great- this time of years a great time to get the paint done,
gives you the rest of the winter to put it back together. and come next spring
you can enjoy driving it.
Your on the home stretch!!!!
Richard

That looks great!!!!!:thumblef: You gave me ideas when i do my project. Can wait to see it finished....Rick

-
Back