70 duster: updating, and a no-dough pro-touring makeover

-
i honestly dont know what the difference in cooling capacity is. i know the setup im running works very well.

last time i was in a factory ac car was close to a decade ago.

as far as increasing the speed of your factory heater, what do you mean?

my heater fan does not blow hard enough to defrost the windshield entirely and doesnt even come close to getting enough air in the cabin to de fog any of the windows. it has a low and high speed......the high speed still blows really slow.....its warm....its just slow

Sorry but I can't hold back on this one :D

i also FINALLY instaseat beltsestcoyou'reatbelts. if youre plannioriginaltain the origonal mounting points

1320654645909.png

(just kidding just kidding, :angel12: , in all seriousness I really enjoyed reading through this thread and your re-re-re-build is coming along really great)

my heater fan does not blow hard enough to defrost the windshield entirely and doesnt even come close to getting enough air in the cabin to de fog any of the windows. it has a low and high speed......the high speed still blows really slow.....its warm....its just slow

clean up the electrical connections make sure they're good and tight, have you gotten a new motor?

yeah, im trying to get better with actually USING spellcheck on my posts. this time something happened, and it got awfully funky. ive been far too lazy to go back and edit, and dont have much time to between work and the holidays.

i agree on the electrical connections being dirty. also may be a bad blower switch in the dash. seen them where they go bad an heavily limit the amount of voltage and amperage they pass through to the motor.

well, got the fenders fixed from where the heavily contacted during run through the hills.

my buddy bill owns a body shop (the collision center in albemarle, nc). we have an agreement worked out, where I'm not allowed to touch things that are painted, straight, or shiny. in return, hes not allowed to touch things with electricity. its a good trade for us. I'm helping do some repairs to the new yorker i wired for him (he damaged the harness when he pulled the car back down to the frame to change the entire color by two shades), and repaired the bulkhead connector on a 73 roadrunner 340 (stopped running while it was in for a repaint. he couldn't call the owner and say it was done with it not running) in exchange for him straightening and rolling and re-painting the fender lips on the front. heres pics (didn't cost me anything but time)

053-1.jpg

052-1.jpg

theres miles of clearance now. enough that i can comfortably fit 275/40/17's with the wheel spacer removed. i just may do it.....

he also talked me out of the spoiler. so thats going up for sale. ill take 100 plus shipping (probably around 15 bucks)

tonight, i pulled the carb apart, cleaned it all up, richened the secondary side by two jet sizes, leaned the primary side by one jet size. well see how that does. did find some completely plugged passages.

Saturday, if all goes according to plan, ill be getting the car tinted. the guy that bought my s10 does tint, and part of the sale agreement was for a tint job. now that he cant figure out a problem with the truck, he finally has to pony up for it.

on the big news front, Ive decided I'm going with a five speed and EFI on this car. I'm trying to talk my buddy into letting his TKO600 go to me for a reasonable price (less than 4K on it) so i can fab up my own mounts, modify my bell housing, and slide it in.

I'm also currently collecting my parts for the EFI setup i want to run. Ive already got a used painless performance TPI harness from a vette race car that i took off, a slightly "blemished" 7737 ECM from the same vette, and 30LB ford racing injectors i paid 10 bucks for. now i need to find a decent and cheap 4bbl throttle body, get some injector bungs installed in my Victor Jr, and find a small block lean burn distributor. also need a set of magnum fuel rails. and a fuel pump. and other stuff I'm not thinking of.

I'm hoping to pull off the EFI and five speed swaps for under 2.5K total. its gonna be tough to do, but I'm confident in my scrounging abilities.

tomorrow, Ive got a half day at work, so I'm going to work on fine tuning the carb, and Friday on finally getting my door glasses adjusted properly. lets keep our fingers crossed that my plans work out.

on a side job front, check out the vette. all Ive got to do is install the new classic auto sound stereo, wash, vacuum, and armor-all it, and give it back to sue and her husband. I'm pleased with how it came out.

050-1.jpg

049-1.jpg

047-1.jpg

046-1.jpg

045-1.jpg

Michael

thanks!
i always try to make everything the best i can, even to the point of topping myself. its just kind of a personal challenge for me, to try and find the elusive thing called perfection.

michael

well, i had a little spare time last night to start adjusting my door glass better. got all the drivers side pulled apart, regreased, etc. started adjusting. realized i needed to move the pane about 1/4 inch forward in the opening. other than that, it was fitting great. so i shut the door, and figured id get to it tonight. turned off the lights and heat in the shop, went to bed.

after work today, i came home all excited to finish both doors tonight and take the car up to get it tinted tomorrow.

this is what greeted me when i opened the door to the shop.

001-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

005-6.jpg

007-7.jpg

i was really proud of myself for not loosing my temper or even cussing when i saw that. Ive really been working on that lately.

my only theory, and its a WAG, is that i somehow put tension on the glass with the new adjustments, and there was a tiny chip or imperfection in it. with the thermal expansion/contraction, and the new structural stresses, it shattered. again, just a WAG. so i ordered a new AMD door glass from summit tonight for 183.41 shipped. should be here next week. i also canceled my appointment to get it tinted. no point when i don't have all the windows in the car anymore.

i also took some pics of the spoiler on the car so I could make a sale thread on it, and show folks what it looked like. as i was removing it to put it in a box for shipping, i dropped it. chipped the corner a little more. still didn't cuss!!!! i think i will have to make my own spoiler. thats about 1 inch wider, a little more laid back, and a little less curved.

012-3.jpg

014-2.jpg

013-3.jpg

011-3.jpg

008-6.jpg

009-4.jpg

so, tonight was expensive and crappy, but still a good night due to what i DIDN'T do.

current budget total is 5213.15

Michael

this weeks update is definately more positive than last week.
got my new window in. i had some reservations after reading about the quality of the AMD glass on the forums. but i was pleasantly suprised by what arrived. i had read about splotchy ting, incorrect shape, wavyness in the glass, etc. found NONE of that with my glass. seems a little thinner than the origonal, and the edges are not nearly as nice and beveled, but i only noticed that after really looking HARD at the origonal on the other side. all in all, money well spent. (and yes, i know its really dirty in the pics. i didnt have any paper towels to clean it with that night.)

i also took the opportunity to clean, adjust, and relubricate everything in the door per the factory service manual. the window operation isnt perfect, but its a far cry better than any other time in my history with this car. it was almost pleasant to put it all back together. for the rubber spacers on the bolts that go through the glass, i cut down some vacuum tube that i had laying around. worked great. still need to really test drive the ar and see if i have any whistles or new noises going down the road, make some anti ratte covers for the door lock and latch rods, re-soun ddeaden the door, and reinstall the interior side. but that will wait until after the higher speed test drive.

001-4.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

004-6.jpg

the etching was a really nice detail. its not on any of my other glasses, but it probably should be.

i also finished the weatherstripping reinstall, gluing, and adjustments etc on this door. still have to do the passengers side the same way. maybe tomorrow, but im only doing one door at a time.
i had no luck finding a good picture of how its supposed to be, but did get to look at a survivor car the other week so i was able to figure out how to fix mine. took decent pictures for reference when someone else needs the info.

005-7.jpg

006-8.jpg

and also started mocking up my console ideas. ive been looking to see if i could find a console with an armrest that was the right height and shape to fit the style of car that this is. i managed to be given a pair of 1979 AMC AMX consoles, one with the optional rallye gauge packages. im doing all my mockups and tweaks with the junk one, and will do my final version with the good one if i like it.

so, heres pics.
007-8.jpg

008-7.jpg

009-5.jpg

011-4.jpg

the shifter hole will line up perfect wheen i do the five speed swap, as that will put the shifter outlet in the center of the trans tunnel. still cant figure out what 4 gauges i would run down there, though. maybe vacuum, AF ratio, oil temp, and nitrous pressure? dunno. decision for another day, i guess.

the leading edge of the console by the dash still needs to go towards the center of the car, but i cannot do that right now due to the current shifter location. i think for this junk console, im going to cut that side out, build a temporary plate to fill most of the hole, and build a side for it around the factory shifter. then all just refinish ans swao in the other one when i do the five speed.

what do you all think?

michael

if you want to know how to fix the low blower speed problem, here is a pretty good tutorial from the Diesel Truck Resource, a Dodge truck forum.

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=158400

They have a very comprehensive tech section, and it cost nothing to surf, or join, for that matter. A lot of the information applies just fine to car projects as well.

Tech section... http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=102027

Good idea on the console, and still MOPAR in a sense.

I've been enjoying the thread, very informative!

Alan

nice tread, I'll need more time to read, but I'm hooked.

ok, update time.
and admitting that this upgrade process has snowballed into much more than origonally anticipated. i think by the time im done here, not much of the origonal build will be left. or my bank account.

when last i updated, i was working on the center console ideas. origonally i was going to use the AMX console and gauges. i cut the junk one up, and drove it for about 100 miles one day. hated it. with a passion. so i threw the junk one out. kept the good one and gauges just in case i ever needed it.
i put my lunchbox between the seats normally to act as an armrest. so i got to thinking of making my own console the size of my lunchbox, and adding some cupholders and storage in the process.

using some 3/8 plywood i had left over, i glued up a box to try out.
030.jpg

029.jpg

i have the cupholders clamped up at work, drying.
id like some feedback on the shape of the center part of the console. just seems way too square to me.

i also went up to hancock fabrics and bought some vynil. cost me 25 bucks for 6 yards worth, which will be enough to cover the console, some of the trunk close out panels, and the custom door panels that im planning on making. (yes, its snowballed into custom interior stuff now.)
011-5.jpg

more pics when i make up my mind on the console shape, and actually get some time to work on it.

on my last update, i also made the claim that i finally got my windows adjusted properly. i didnt, really. had a lot of wind noise from the rear quarter window to the front window seal. after running through EVERY adjustement i could, i still had the noise. finally broke down and spent 7 dollars on some weatherstripping from lowes to put in the gap. (the ribbed part you can see in the picture) NOW theres no wind noise. i swear the reproduction roofrail seals are to blame. they cant be made right to give me this much of a fight.
i also repained the door emblems before i put them back in.
005-8.jpg

028.jpg

on my last few drives, i smelled burning oil on the passengers side. i had assumed it was a leaking intake manifold rear seal leaking down on the header. so i started pulling the intake. luckily before i got too far, i noticed where all the oil had gotten to. figured out it was the calve cover gaskets.
ive had a set of finned aluminum cal custom valve covers for this car since the mid 90's. when i redid the car this last time, i went back to the stock covers as i didnt want it to look like something that wasnt stock. been thinking off and on about reinstalling the cal-customs. this was my motivation.
when i pulled them put of storage, they looked REALLY bad. needed a lot of work.
so i broke out my old harbor freight buffer, rouges, and wheels and went to town.
001-5.jpg

10 hours later, i had them and a 280z valve cover done. (the 280z cover is for my best friend, whos building one)
side by side pic with the stockers
004-7.jpg

turns out that these made contact with my intake manifold. the simple solution was this:
010-5.jpg

012-4.jpg

cost me 45 bucks and had to be special ordered. works perfect, though.
to get these on, i also had to buy an oil fill cap, breather, elbow, bolts, and drill and baffle the drivers side for the PCV valve.14 bucks for all of that. also 4 dollars worth of 3/8 rubber line.
once i got them on, i realized i had no more plug wire separators. ive looked at the made4you wire looms in summit for years. so i ordered them. very nice product, especially for only 35 bucks.
put my 7 mil parts store wires in them, and was not happy with the result.
003-7.jpg

004-8.jpg

002-7.jpg

so down at autozone, they stock MSD street fire cut to fit wires. bought them for 45. still dont have them on, though. also got 16 worth of fresh plugs. fidured it was good time to do it.
013-4.jpg

015-3.jpg

havent got them in yet. on the plans for this week.

lastly, ive amassed more parts for my EFI conversion. all of it cost me 85 at pull-a-part today.
got a fresher ECM (7727 interchange)
5.9 magnum throttle body
5.9 magnum fuel rails (and installed my free 30lb injectors)
lean burn dist and the parts o convert it to GM HEI style computer control, new oil pressure switch
018-1.jpg

019-3.jpg

020-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

026.jpg

024-1.jpg

025.jpg

question. does anyone have a source for an AN adapter version of this fitting?
027.jpg

so, thats all for now. hoping to get the plugs and wires finished this week so i can get it cleaned up for my wife and i's trip to the beach for our anniversiary in two weeks.

new budget total: 5489.15

michael

Would like to see what the car looks like with the duck tail on when you put it on!

i cant believe its taken me a month to build a set of plug wires and change plugs. granted anniversary, daily needing a suspension rebuild, sick, resigning at work and starting a new job, working on other peoples cars, taking a night schools welding class, and replacing a hot water tank will kinda get in the way. but it runs and drives again.

i will say im pleased with how it came out, though.
004-9.jpg

005-9.jpg

007-9.jpg

008-8.jpg

on the welding class front, i made my first project out of some exhaust parts i had laying around. what the idea is is that they are baffles, much like the ricers use in their straight through mufflers to silence them a bit. my hope is that it gets rid of some of the resonance and drone at cruise, without restricting power. well see, but the price was right.

009-6.jpg

Really enjoyed your thread...been reading through it for the last few hours. Has definitely given me some inspiration on mine.

Very nice car.

So Ive been really busy. Ive now switched jobs, and am learning a new service than the one where i had been for the last 7 years. nice change, and better for my family, but scary as all get out.
Ive also started picking up at the shop again. still awfully slow, but the ones Ive been doing are for a good cause, and also a couple for long time customers. did sign on a 67 GTO (again) at the car wash today. if you go back in the thread, you'll see pics of it. hes got some wiring gremlins for me to find now that hes driving it more.

anyway, over the last few weeks, Ive been helping my best friend on his car. it hasn't been anything more than a "somewhat" rolling shell in years. we got it running Friday night. put the drive train back in it for the first time in years a couple of Fridays ago. its been really nice working with him and spending time in the shop with my best friend. i also miss doing resto work, like cleaning, rebuilding, and painting parts. not just fab and upgrade.
i took some pics. i know its not a mopar, but i figure I'm proud of this thing, and of him, so ill show it off. i know he wouldn't.
001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

003-9.jpg

001-7.jpg

i also got to spend all day yesterday with my dad getting his 60 vette out of storage. i rebuilt the carbs for him in the fall, and yesterday we got them on, tuned, changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel in the tank, adjusted the drums, repaired the wipers, and blew the cobwebs off. that was very, very good for my soul. i grew up working with my dad, and don't often get to anymore \ what with the wife, kid, two jobs, house, etc. i really miss doing that.
no pics of his vette. if you look through my thread, you can see it under the cover in front of the lift at the shop.

and now, back to the duster and mopar stuff.

a few weeks ago (maybe a month? i really dunno.) my brother (who rides motorcycles. bought his first one the day the divorce went through) invited me to go on a poker run with his motorcycle club and girlfriend. the run invited cars as well, so i figured i wouldn't be the only four wheeled vehicle. i figured wrong. but the bike guys still accepted me and appreciated the car.
we covered about 200 miles that day. really a nice time, even with the rain and interstate parts. also, i discovered the world of victory bikes and Indians. ( i had no idea they were back. damn they're cool) my wife promptly gave me a hell no to buying a bike. probably safer that way. had a really great time, and the car ran great. was a good feeling to get it back out of the garage and drive it. it was also really nice to spend time with my brother, and i like his new girlfriend a lot better than i liked his ex-wife.
017-4.jpg

019-4.jpg

on the build part, Ive got a couple of things going on.
1. EFI. I got my manifold back from my machinist (Hollis Page at HP Engines in Norwood, NC.) he and i did some mopar horse-trading, so all it cost me was for my fuel injector mounting bungs. 32 bucks. bought the Ross machine ones from ebay. i took it into my Thursday night welding class, where my instructor is teaching me TIG on it. well, I'm attempting to learn. right now I'm more watching than anything else. and holding it at the proper angles.
005-10.jpg

002-8.jpg

001-6.jpg

023-2.jpg

021-3.jpg

hopefully well finish the welding next week, and then i can start porting and polishing and shaping once this riding lawn more fiasco is over.

also, i revisited the spoiler, as i just wasn't sure still. and no one has bought it yet. shaped it and fitted it, as well as "mounted" it. my mind is still not made up about it. i would like everyone on here that reads this to voice their opinion, whether it be a simple yes or no, or an explanation of why. i just want a group consensus.
010-6.jpg

009-7.jpg

008-9.jpg

007-10.jpg

006-9.jpg

lastly, i washed it today. and drove it to church for the easter egg hunt with my little girl. ill probably give it a whole hog detail job (top, underneath, inside and out) over easter weekend. try out dads porter cable buffer that he got. seeing how his cars came out, I'm excited to refresh the finish on mine.
041.jpg

Michael

Mike if the spoiler was body colored then maybe, but to my eye it just doesn't "bring anything to the party". Car has nice clean lines as is.

Since you asked, I'll add a no on the spoiler. Your car is how I like them, without stripes, or scoop, one color, shows it's classic lines best in my view that way.

The spoiler looks like an add-on, and will even in body color.

Nice car!! :glasses7:
I love the updating on the build or re-re-rebuild thread.
I am torn on the spoiler as well. Paint it body color put back up there and show us.

I really like how much the car has become part of the family. I have a `68 Dart convertible that is a mess. When I am able to get to it (probably another 2yrs :banghead:) it will be a no dough poor touring as well. I have to ask, as I never saw it....What tire sizes are you running? I have a set of Bullet wheels already but have to do something about the rear end. I am more than likely going with an 8.8 because it's cheap! lol

I guess i'm opposite of everyone else. I say yes on the spoiler. It will tie in well with the front air dam you have on there.

-
Back