70 Swinger 340

-
I noticed it has rocker panel mldings....Never saw one from the factory with them...They look great tho...whats the story behind them?
The car had the code for "wide sill moldings". these are not the correct moldings, these are moldings I had put on until I come up with the correct ones. If you know of any, let me know. the correct ones have a taper at the back wheel opening, they kind of come to a point.

Not to nit pick, but these are not 1970 bucket seats.
1970 bucket seats were a 1 year only seat, which had a different seat back, and pot metal button cover.

Having said that, the car is coming out great, glad I found your thread. :)
Those seats "do" have the pot metal cover button cover. those seat backs are reproductions, but I do have the originals. show me a correct 70 seat if those are not!!

Yeah it was a big hole. It dropped a valve, took out the piston & Rod. There was nothing left in that cylinder but a big hole. Pieces of the shrapnel were in the carb and exhaust when that one went. When I installed the stroker, I fired it up walked behind the car and some of the left over pieces in the exhaust hit me in the legs. Lol
I'm taking a gamble on repairing the original block. One of the guys at the machine shop looked at it and said no way, and the other said no problem. It appears that the motor was rebuilt at some point in its life and had the pistons installed backwards with the valve reliefs in the wrong position. I've heard this was common practice for more power, not sure if that's true. install a big cam and KAPOW! Every piston had valve marks on the wrong side. The machine shop said for a mild build it should hold, we will see.

I'm taking a gamble on repairing the original block. One of the guys at the machine shop looked at it and said no way, and the other said no problem. It appears that the motor was rebuilt at some point in its life and had the pistons installed backwards with the valve reliefs in the wrong position. I've heard this was common practice for more power, not sure if that's true. install a big cam and KAPOW! Every piston had valve marks on the wrong side. The machine shop said for a mild build it should hold, we will see.

Yes the pistons were installed upside down, seen that when I did the head gaskets. I think epoxy on the bottom of the cylinders will seal it with the new sleeve installed.

The damage occurred when I missed a 1-2 shift, no revvv limiter at that time. Valves Floated and 1 of them dropped....... All part of the game.

I always use a revv limiter now....... Unless it is on Nitrous, I either take it out or put the chip at 7400+ , of course this is not on a recipe for a stock engine! Lol on that set up the Limiter is only there if the driveline breaks. NOS and bouncing off the limiter is NOT good! haaaa

those missed shifts never turn out good.:burnout: The machine shop pressed in a sleeve and did say something about sealer in the bottom of the block along with adding stop leak to the radiator. The block was in final hone last week.

Hey Vitamin C! Lets see some current pictures of the car with the Polyglas Tires. Car looks stunning as ever. Cant want to see it finished. Any plans on doing Carlisle or The Mopar Nats in 2015? Again, great job on a fabulous 70 Swinger 340!

well the car is tucked away for winter at this point. Ill get some pics this spring when the original 340 goes back in.

Thank you, I haven't really touched the car in the last year after taking on a couple other projects. (71 R/T Charger 440 and 68 R/T Charger Hemi). I have the original short block sleeved and assembled, I just need to finish it out and get it swapped out. Also I've pulled off the radial tires and have gone with repro bias plies that look much better. I'm still unsure of what the correct rocker moldings are suppose to look like, so if anyone has the correct ones or knows what they look like let me know, I need to get those changed.

I would love to see a pic with thw Bias Plys on it.

No one ever uses them, Which is understandable but man they look Good.

What's the status on this car? Any current pics? This is my favorite car on this website.

-
Back