'70 T/A Challenger vs SRT8

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Nice to know the originals still 'have it'!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs2KOWkydtU"]Challenger SRT8 vs 340 Six Pack Challenger T/A - Old vs New - 1/4 Mile - Road Test TV - YouTube[/ame]

That SRT-8 should definitely be faster than that, the starts looked horrible.

Reading the youtube comments, a guy chimed in stating he owned both of those cars:

I own both Challengers out out Stuart Fl. My 55 year old girlfriend was driving the new car. This was her first track experience with a stick shift car. We had no idea this video was being made at the time. The SRT is a stock track pack car with a cold air intake. It has been scaled at 4080 lbs no driver. On worn out original tires. Once we learned the right balance of slipping the clutch (to avoid tire spin) this car went 13.30 @ 107 mph. The T/A is a numbers matching sleeper. The small block is sporting a set of W 2 heads and a small roller cam. The original trans had worn syncros and a worn shifter. It had 3.91 gears, drag radials and factory suspension with NO traction devices. This is more of a road course car. I was being careful as my previous trip to the track resulted in a broken rear u-joint,pinion yoke and bent drive shaft. The 115.90 mph points that the engine is making power and with a good launch should run quicker than 11.50s. This car has also been scaled and with out driver is 3525lbs. This was ment to be a fun evening to the track with my girl and two FUN cars not a full out competition. The T/A is a quicker car. The SRT will run 170 + mph stock! corner like its on rails and gives me 24 mpg. I love them both and will most likely be adding a Hellcat when available in yellow to the collection.

Reading the youtube comments, a guy chimed in stating he owned both of those cars:

This makes more sense now with the owner's comment. That T/A was haulin the mail. With W2 heads, that explains why it runs like it does. That's very cool that he and his lady can go out and have fun at the track like that.

That SRT-8 should definitely be faster than that, the starts looked horrible.

Yeah, I read those comments before posting it so I knew the scoop. Amazing at some of the haters posting comments as well before the owner clarified things. Some people are just effing stupid and shouldn't be allowed to post...anywhere...
T/A was not that much modified besides W2 heads and a small roller cam. That's a hell of an ET. I'd be extremely proud of that car!

Can someone tell me why the shifting of the T/A's 833 was so difficult? Was it the drivers?

I have a 73 340 833 road runner, & did not have any problems shifting in hard acceleration.

I did not quite understand what Rustyratrod was explaining to me about an even harder shift (clutchless...?) than what I do. Is that the problem?

I think I could have launched that Challenger faster. I have no track time.

A local Hellcat has gone 6.86 @103 with nothing but drag radials. That's some hot pussy!

Can someone tell me why the shifting of the T/A's 833 was so difficult? Was it the drivers?

I have a 73 340 833 road runner, & did not have any problems shifting in hard acceleration.

I did not quite understand what Rustyratrod was explaining to me about an even harder shift (clutchless...?) than what I do. Is that the problem?

I think I could have launched that Challenger faster. I have no track time.

He mentioned some issues with synchros, and he was going easy on it.

I like the video!!! T/Anks for posting! Best my own T/A has ever done in the quarter was 12.98 ~110.. stock 340-6 w/headers, 3.91, 727, weighing ~3350 (1/4 tank, with driver ~180)... BFG (Comp T/A... soft compound 255-50-16 R1 autocross tires fronT and rear.... just as I would have been autocrosing it)... at Union Grove drag strip... ~year 1996.

CaptainKirk,

Those are Robert M.'s cars, aren't they? I put 2 & 2 together when I saw the track was Palm Beach. Been a while since I've talked to him.

Everyone has to remember that a lot can be done to a "stock appearing" or NHRA/IHRA Stock class combo as well. But I don't believe the T/A falls into either catagory.

I like the video!!! T/Anks for posting! Best my own T/A has ever done in the quarter was 12.98 ~110.. stock 340-6 w/headers, 3.91, 727, weighing ~3350 (1/4 tank, with driver ~180)... BFG (Comp T/A... soft compound 255-50-16 R1 autocross tires fronT and rear.... just as I would have been autocrosing it)... at Union Grove drag strip... ~year 1996.

Awesome...I try to hit Union Grove a couple times each summer! Any plans on getting back there this year?

CaptainKirk,

Those are Robert M.'s cars, aren't they? I put 2 & 2 together when I saw the track was Palm Beach. Been a while since I've talked to him.

Everyone has to remember that a lot can be done to a "stock appearing" or NHRA/IHRA Stock class combo as well. But I don't believe the T/A falls into either catagory.

Yep, Robert M's cars!
I watched that vid like eight times last night....really screamin' little 340!

I love the video nothing like beating up on new stuff with the old stuff:violent1::violent1:
That was a 6.1 not impressed at all...

The comments on youtube are great. Stock T/A's running 12.00 LOL.

Is E body still a 6 pack or a 4 barrel? Everyone knows that a small solid roller cam and w-2's don't wake up a 340. LMAO

-
Back