70 under hood wiring into a 74

-

dart67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 74 duster, could I use a 70 engine and light wiring harness and plug into the bulked on the firewall to simplify the wiring?
Thanks

Compare wiring diagrams of the two. You can find posts for several years in a search here. Of the ones I have compared (64 vs 65, 65 vs 74), there are always differences from year-year. The connectors and keying vary. How would a 70 harness simplify your wiring? Are there wires you don't use in your 74 harness? If so, you could unwrap the vinyl tape (has no adhesive), remove them, and re-wrap. The male 57 terminals can be removed from the plastic shell by squeezing the long way and wiggling.

almost sure there are quite a bit of difference between the two.. nothing that you can't modify and work out but i don't think its a plug and play type of deal..

what do you mean simplify the wiring?? just eliminate what you don't want under there..

Yes, I would like to eliminate some wiring,I was thinking about running the car and unplug the wires and if it stiill runs eliminate those wires,there are wires that plug into things on the firewall and pass side inner fender.
Thanks

No don't do it that way. Get a wire diagram so you know exactly what the wires do. Then eliminate in needed ones.

PM me with an email address and I'll send you some wiring diagrams for the 74 engine compartment. When we redid my son's car we printed out wiring diagrams and as we removed a circuit that wasn't needed anymore we highlighted it one color. Anything we added, we drew in and labeled. All the seatbelt interlock crap came out.

-
Back