71 340 head choice (budget)

-

J. Cower

Reaction score
Background info first: I have a 71 Plymouth SSP. Short block motor should be done next week. 72 block 340.060 over with KB pistons. Looking for advice on cylinder head choice. Looking to only spend 1k or less. I know you get what you pay for. I want to stay iron head as well.
Plans are to use voodoo 701 cam, RPM air gap, and 650 Edelbrock AVS2 carb.
Just going to be a driver car. I have 78 360 heads sitting around I could get redone if that's an option. I was looking at Aerohead heads with a bowl porting but not sure what people think of these from them.
I know it's a B body and I'm a member over there as well but seems to be more small block info over here and Rumblefish is a member of both too so it doesn't matter where I ask this.

If the 78' Heads are in decent shape, they would be just fine for your build.

On your pistons, do they stick up above the head deck surface? If so you need to measure and get the proper thickness gasket if you going to look at closed chamber heads like LA-X, Edelbrocks (the non-340 hogged out ones) or Magnum EQ's. Regardless, find out even if you run the open stock style to get your quench right.

For that cam, I think the Performer or stock would be a better choice of intake, or step up in cams to use that Air Gap.

I agree to get the 78 360 heads redone... Ported and new valve job will run nice...

Or you can buy my freshly rebuilt 2:02 X heads, and have a bunch of cash left over, pm if interested...

are you married to the 340?
if you have receipts for the machine work you should be able to sell the 340 short block for enough to buy a decent 360 and build it within budget...and that satellite will appreciate the extra cubes

Lots of inexpensive W2s show up pretty often...just passed on NIB econos for $600 pair/bare.

Consider a Magnum head swap... stay away from the ChiCom heads. Keep your Mopar all Mopar.

Keep the 340...

Yeah I went through the 360vs340 debate before I found this block for pretty cheap so I'll stick with it for better or worse.

J Cower, You have less than 1K for heads? Tha is not enough. IMO, and not trying to be rude, but it’s a joke. Unless you find someone here selling a set done and ready to go that meets your price..... your not going to find a set for that price ready to go.

Cheap China heads run more for a ready to go state.

Rumblefish... What would you think then for heads? Indys look to be around 1300 with spring kit. The Aeroheads I was looking at are 499 stock then upgrades on that but I think they use Chinese valves and all that. Trying not to go aluminum and most people want crazy money for X and J heads that still need to be redone.

Find videos of cars running with the cam you chose... You may want to step up a bit. Even the Voodoo 703/268 is pretty mild, strong vacuum with a good ignition tune up.

Heads are a mixed bag. Stockers would work fine with a good VJ and springs.

Air Gap isn't going to hurt it.

Rumblefish... What would you think then for heads? Indys look to be around 1300 with spring kit. The Aeroheads I was looking at are 499 stock then upgrades on that but I think they use Chinese valves and all that. Trying not to go aluminum and most people want crazy money for X and J heads that still need to be redone.
Your stock heads will be fine. If they need rebuilding then do a price check on rebuilding and already rebuilt heads. The problem is *I Think* your living in the past on prices. The hobby is not cheap and a grand for rebuilt heads is possible in some markets but not mine and so that leaves the upgraded heads like Edelbrock which are replacement performance heads at the increase cost which would probably be cheaper than the like OE head rebuilt and ported to match the aluminum head.

Your in a catch 22. The cheaper way out is rebuilt OE heads. IF the Aero Head is OK for you and comes ready to run without an issue, your doing good but!!!!

You listed the aero head for $499.
I have bad news for you!!!!
That’s the purchase price. Now you have to ship them heavy iron heads. Then, you’ll get the REAL PRICE!

Get ahold of Bryan at IMM engines for his cost price and shipping cost to you on a set of heads. You can price compare with your local machinist. I do not know what they charge in your area. But at least there is no shipping charges, just drive across town gas costs.

Oh yea do so! You may surprise us all!

Save your money. Be patient!

Yeah I went through the 360vs340 debate before I found this block for pretty cheap so I'll stick with it for better or worse.

Yeah,no kiddin. Use what you got. It's a great foundation. Can we get some specifics about the "KB pistons"?

for a stock style 340 in a heavy B body that 701 would be a good choice with a 3.23 gear and stock converter.

Background info first: I have a 71 Plymouth SSP. Short block motor should be done next week. 72 block 340.060 over with KB pistons. Looking for advice on cylinder head choice. Looking to only spend 1k or less. I know you get what you pay for. I want to stay iron head as well.
Plans are to use voodoo 701 cam, RPM air gap, and 650 Edelbrock AVS2 carb.
Just going to be a driver car. I have 78 360 heads sitting around I could get redone if that's an option. I was looking at Aerohead heads with a bowl porting but not sure what people think of these from them.
I know it's a B body and I'm a member over there as well but seems to be more small block info over here and Rumblefish is a member of both too so it doesn't matter where I ask this.
I can get heads for under a grand.
I can go 2 miles away and pull a pair for 80 bucks as cores. There is a shop I've used many times for these types of builds that will go through the heads and all but new valves and springs for 400.00.

$1000....that's a great deal if the work is good quality and it includes the cost of the heads!

I can get heads for under a grand.
I can go 2 miles away and pull a pair for 80 bucks as cores. There is a shop I've used many times for these types of builds that will go through the heads and all but new valves and springs for 400.00.
Thats cheap by compare aound here. Nice!
junk yards around here do not store old stuff. If it is 5 yewars old, that would be very old! The turn around for scrap metal is huge. Cars don't last for a few weeks and there gone. Picked apart for FWIW and discarded onto the scrap truck. Trucked out of state for its weight worth. I see several well loaded semi trucks daily from a single scrap yard.

Yeah,no kiddin. Use what you got. It's a great foundation. Can we get some specifics about the "KB pistons"?

X2 the KB 243 in my 340 stick proud above the deck, I used a set of x heads and a 703 cam and it is kinda mild, idles nice with good vacuum.
Most likely going to change the cam up to something larger this spring.

-
Back