71 Dart not starting after new steering box

-

PDDart

Reaction score
Just installed a new Firm Feel Box which involved disconnecting the steering colum. When in Park, I get nothing and maybe a slight sound from the starter relay under the hood but not sure. When in Neutral, I get a noticeable clunk/click from the starter and then all power is gone...everything! After disconnecting and reconnecting battery, same result as listed above. When installing the gear box, I did not disconnect and wires from the starter and they remain connected now. The only wire that was disconnected was a very short (few inches) ground wire that went from the bottom of the steering colum to the dash (from what I remember) is it possible I did not reconnect this wire correctly? Of the four bolts that secure the mount to the colum, I have the wire connected to the lower left bolt and the other end connected to the left narrow stud that comes from the dash. Thanks for reading and hopefully you can help!

Since "you messed with it" the two most probable causes are linkage out of adjustment and you knocked the neutral safety switch harness loose, either at the transmission connector, or the connectors at the star relay

Look at the start relay. Identify the two "push on" connectors.......one of them will go into the bulkhead connector, the other will go down over the rear of the engine to the transmission. Disconnect that one and ground that relay terminal with a clip lead

Be CERTAIN the transmission is out of gear, and it will probably crank.

There's an adjustment on the transmission linkage to get the transmission to "follow" the shift linkage in the column.

Thanks for the advice. I did no more than verify the connections once again and then attempt to start in Neutral and it cranked and fired. It didn't however crank nor fire in Park. Took it for a decent drive and now it starts in both Park and Neutral...all appears to be good. I swear it's acting like a computer controlled car!

For those curious about the Firm Feel box, it's a Stage 3 unit and it steers like my '04 4runner which is nice and firm. I'm very impressed

CLEAN the battery terminals to make sure that is not the issue. That problem can occasionally be very erratic. Probalby not the issue, but start with the basics.

X2

The battery posts are now made smaller in diameter, and if you have original cables as I do, the terminal clamp will bottom out just as it begins to clamp the post.

If it acts up again, check ignition switch.

Battery terminals or the linkage is out of adjustment.

-
Back