71 demon 340

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
im trying to get a 71 demon 340 4sp off a guy.

its kinds rotten but fixable. itll need a complete resto.

it still has the original 340 in it and 4sp as well as the 8.75 rear, with a ralley dash.

its a bench seat, butterscotch yellow car with dual snorkel scoops, with hubcaps.

it is a real h-code car.

how much is something like this worth as it sits and restored?

itll need rear frame rails, trunk, floors, quarters, and fenders. and the int is shot.

any info will help.

also, it runs. been sitting for 15+ years but it still fired up.

i cant get them off my cell. i have a cheap pay-as-you-go phone.

the paint is all there. rockers are solid. nickel size rust hole by the control arm. outr skin on rear lower quarters is gone. floor seems to be ok, but wont know until carpet is removed.
fenders arent rotten, they have just been beaten up. the rest of the car is straight.

welp, lets break it down.
you buy it for 3000 lets say.
spend the next year plus on resto every day after work. if its ok with the wife.
needs rear rails you say??
oh boy those are fun.
lets say you put 10 to 15 k in it to make a real nice driver.
whats worth when your finished.
maybe 15,000

just an opinion. no harm done.

Hey Steve, a user that goes by the name: oldmanmopar has a gorgeous butterscotch duster maybe he'll have a better idea just a tip! Hopefully you can get the car sounds like a great project:mrgreen: And i would say in the ballpark of $3,300-5,500 for that car as it sits don't know much about it but what you said, that must my $0.02

Personally I won't pay $3,000 for it , maybe that is the going prices but to me there are many-many 70's cars that you can just stick a 340 in to--unless you live somewhere that has smog inspections.......my 78 Magnum has a 340-with dual quads, lol

im trying to get a 71 demon 340 4sp off a guy.

its kinds rotten but fixable. itll need a complete resto.

it still has the original 340 in it and 4sp as well as the 8.75 rear, with a ralley dash.

its a bench seat, butterscotch yellow car with dual snorkel scoops, with hubcaps.

it is a real h-code car.

how much is something like this worth as it sits and restored?

itll need rear frame rails, trunk, floors, quarters, and fenders. and the int is shot.

any info will help.

also, it runs. been sitting for 15+ years but it still fired up.

I would pay $3,000 for it...If you pass...

Most cars that need total restorations will cost more to restore than they are worth. I would say the initial investment of a few thou makes sense if you are looking to do all of that work because your interest is in the restoration process and in having that particular car.

The good thing about that car is that its one of the most premium A-Bodys that you can find. 340, 4-speed, butterscotch '71 Demon. It doesn't get much more special than that.

Having all of its original parts would make it better to restore and some pictures would help to value it.

I wouldn't even consider it if you are not going to do the work yourself... It would cost a fortune to pay someone to fix it right.. Always more rust than you see initially.I would put money on it that the floors are shot...Most likely will need all new rubber, brake lines, bushings etc.. New fuel tank etc... List goes on and on....But sounds like a cool car and if I could do most of the work myself then I might go $3000 on it.. JMO..

i d have to agree with these cats..my first thought was around 3k, but if you can do most of the work yourself, and plan on keeping it....who cares what you pay for it. i payed way too much for my 72 demon340 a couple years ago, but it was what i really wanted and i plan to keep it. i know i ll have about 10 grand less than what it ll be worth when its done, but thats doing 95% of the work my self. you ll pay an arm and a leg to get all that metal work done...CORRECTLY. sounds like a neat car though. 2,051 4-speeds made, 998 3-speeds, 4,932 autos, for the demon 340s in 71. Butterscotch makes it a little rarer.

also agree, if you are not going to do the work, then leave it alone.

i dont understand why people keep thinking they will get what they have into a car back when they sell,

you dump 15k into a car and get 10k back and its a waste?

well, me and my dad have done 3 cars the last 3 years

my 68 dart, 40k into it, start to finish, new quarters, etc

i sold it rolling for $6500, and as a roller, i had 20k into it...i had it posted for 2 months at 10k with no bites, high dollar parts, with new paint/interior, and still no one wanted to pay that.

my 71 dart, put 22k into it, new sheetmetal etc, sold it to my dad before paint with no drivetrain for 10k, he dumped another 12k into it, and i bought it turnkey with a fresh 340 for 10k

his duster, paid 10k (orig 340 4spd promo car) bought off a chevy guy
stripped it down, put another 20k into it, and its worth maybe 15-18k

its the hobby, anoyone building cars to break even or make money should pick up a diff hobby

on a project or roller, expect to lose 2/3 of what you have into it

finished driver, expect to lose half, if its rare, expect to lose 1/3

ive been building cars 10 years and SERIOUS about it for 7-8yrs , had my own shop, etc, my dad, 30yrs, has his own hobby shop

i guess in canada, things are different

i say 20k is a good budget to buy a car, body (sheetmetal), paint... and drive train for a nice cruiser/driver

i enjoy the hobby, and enjoy all the stress, financial loss that comes with it.....its car building, its not realstate.

ive probably put together 8-10 cars in the last 6-7 years, and lost probably 100k

whoa, where`d you get $3000 from? the guy is talking about just letting me haul it off. his wife is on him just to get it out of the yard. i was going to give him a couple hundred as a thank you.

noe is it worth getting? lol

i was curious as to how much the car is worth. im getting a hell of a deal on it. the old man knows what he has he just decided that hes too old to do anything with it and he`d like to see it go to a kid who will love it and someday restore it. which i will do.

If you are getting it for a couple hundred .... by all means drag it home....
and do it now

i dont understand why people keep thinking they will get what they have into a car back when they sell,

you dump 15k into a car and get 10k back and its a waste?

well, me and my dad have done 3 cars the last 3 years

my 68 dart, 40k into it, start to finish, new quarters, etc

i sold it rolling for $6500, and as a roller, i had 20k into it...i had it posted for 2 months at 10k with no bites, high dollar parts, with new paint/interior, and still no one wanted to pay that.

my 71 dart, put 22k into it, new sheetmetal etc, sold it to my dad before paint with no drivetrain for 10k, he dumped another 12k into it, and i bought it turnkey with a fresh 340 for 10k

his duster, paid 10k (orig 340 4spd promo car) bought off a chevy guy
stripped it down, put another 20k into it, and its worth maybe 15-18k

its the hobby, anoyone building cars to break even or make money should pick up a diff hobby

on a project or roller, expect to lose 2/3 of what you have into it

finished driver, expect to lose half, if its rare, expect to lose 1/3

ive been building cars 10 years and SERIOUS about it for 7-8yrs , had my own shop, etc, my dad, 30yrs, has his own hobby shop

i guess in canada, things are different

i say 20k is a good budget to buy a car, body (sheetmetal), paint... and drive train for a nice cruiser/driver

i enjoy the hobby, and enjoy all the stress, financial loss that comes with it.....its car building, its not realstate.

ive probably put together 8-10 cars in the last 6-7 years, and lost probably 100k

You are accurate in your assessment, but i'm curious, how on earth can you afford to lose 100 grand building cars?
Wow!

if the drivetrain isn t all tied up its worth a couple grand. i say get it, cause opportunities like that don t come up very often. good luck. i d get it out of there before the old guy buys momma something sweet to soften her up on keepin it. SCORE!

I will give you a couple hundred and I will go pick it up for you?

hahahah

orig 71 340 drivetrain running is worth 3k motor/tranny/rear ****, i just paid 1200 for a 8.75 with 373s and stock axels., but i also bout one last year for $600....so it depends on what its worth to the interested party.

i paid 2k for a core 71 DART 340, as 71 340 darts are rare. (came from the orig car...i think 1 of 75?...not any diff then a 71 340 from a demon, duster, etc...but it was going in an orig 71 dart, 340 clone....it was just to say it was from an orig 71 340 dart..lol

id say a good buy on that car is $2500-$3000 if its comeplte, so what if its rusty

my friend just sold a ROTTED orig 72 340/auto demon, 100% complete yellow, black niterior car.

it needed floors, rockers, torsion boxes, quarters, front fenders, etc....it was sitting in a wet field since 82......he got 5k for it cause it was 100% orig and complete right down to the orig fan belts and battery

-
Back