71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
yesterday...tonya and i dropped both lower control arms...and torsion bar...clean and inspected the rear sockets...could not find anything wrong with them....both lca look good....

the pivot tube in the k member on the driver side...appears damaged...

right now it looks like I will make mats before i leave town...lol

so my schedule...next week...is get tonya dart fixed...and get old engine out of duster..along with getting new engine assembled...still waiting on a couple of parts for it...had to order new set of valve springs as i dont want to use the ones i have...

yesterday...tonya and i dropped both lower control arms...and torsion bar...clean and inspected the rear sockets...could not find anything wrong with them....both lca look good....

the pivot tube in the k member on the driver side...appears damaged...

right now it looks like I will make mats before i leave town...lol

Did you stress test the rear sockets?

yes...we cranked the torsion bar....and watched the rear socket from the front and back...the bar did not move.

Worked this morning on getting the old engine ready to come out...I am currently challenged for room in that garage...

had an ATF cleanup job to do...pulled dipstick out and a couple qts pissed on the floor..cleaned gasket material off several parts that are going to be reused...timing chain over...waterpump and so on...

parts are back from machine shop...going to washing up block and knock cam bearing in it...so hopefully in the next day or two, I will work on getting that short block assembled.......

and need to get the 2.45 1st gear 904 ready...waiting on a couple small parts...trans brake electrical connector...

glad i am going back to work...i am raping my saving account...LOL

904 is ready to go...I replaced the direct clutch pac drum...bevel spring and piston with new seals.. .but waiting on those two small parts..

Block that was going to be hone..is not going to be hone due to a scratched in one cylinder....

Monday I dropped off a 360 block at machine shop to be bore ..hone..cam bearing ..shake and baked..and squared..suppose to be done friday....

Will pulled old motor and trans either today or tomorrow....

Tonya Dart will be done latter today...

God..i love that 2 post lift....that thing has been up and down more times in the last couple of days than a 20 dollar hoe on fremont st.......

going to take Friday off and go watch some drag racing this weekend at the STrip....

yuph...the Professionals are here...LOL...

got 4 GA tickets for a good price....

Picked up 360 block this afternoon...was at the nhra race ..saw missed call..was machine shop...left voice that block was done...left races to get block...now going to wash block and begin filing rings ....

Tonya Dart...after replacing the front end on the car...LOL...i find a hairline crack in the welds on the rear torsion bar socket...i had use a wire brush on a air grinder to clean it...but the crack was so small i could not see....then I cleaned it again Wednesday night and sprayed brake cleaner..i could see the brake cleaner go into the crack....

I guess at my age...I dont get to see small crack anymore...

Anyway...fired up the mig welder...love that Miller 211...welded both sides front and rear....

Tonya car has a nice QA1 tubular front end on it....hey...it is only money.........>LOL.....

yeah...had a good time....couple of friends did well in Stock Class eliminations....

My neighbor Earl Blake lose in Finals in F/SA has 68 340 Barracuda...lost to 73 340 Duster..

and Paul Wong has his 273 U/S kills them in the Stick Combo Class...beat another friend Andy Kimble in Ford Fairlane....,,,that combo class runs off index with no break out...Wongs 273 65 Belvedere can go 1.45 seconds under his index if he NEEDS too...LOL

No money to be won in Class Elimintions...just Trophy and picture taken...but Wong goes after the sportsman award from Mopar...

Going again on Saturday...

Got the block home..got it on engine stand....washed it ....and ran tap thru all the treads on block...sprayed down with wd40...wrapped it with a plastic bag..and went home...another long day...

just paid for 2 Pro class entry fees and one GA for MATs...dam...expensive

I hate spirol l locks...and I hate double spirol locks....two done...30 more to go......

ok,,,,got 33 in pack...only got 1 left...if my math is correct...i have 4 of them in 8 pistons

Yup fingers are all messed up after doing them! Woman says get your paws off of me! Lol

the 1st piston..1st lock..took me forever...then i got my mogo...and they went pretty fast...lol

tomorrow..> I get to do the 2nd most hated thing....file rings....

Tony car has a nice QA1 tubular front end on it....hey...it is only money.........>LOL.....

you turning that thing into a race car? :)

I bought a Miller 211 last year. It's come in handy more than a few times, but I need some skills bad!!

you turning that thing into a race car? :)

I bought a Miller 211 last year. It's come in handy more than a few times, but I need some skills bad!!

My welding skill is burn and learn....LOL

Got the crank in ...and torqued down...

Got eight pistons in the block....stopped after that...

tomorrow... degree in MP590 cam from other engine...yes..there are a billion better cams...but cam looks good..and lifter in box in order....installing 4 degree advance at 102.

oil pump and pan going on....had to order a set of fel pro head gaskets...might be here tomorrow or wednesday.

machine shop squared the box..and wow....all 4 corners...not more than .001 different...

Dam..Summit...ordered head gaskets from them so they would be here today...but...NO>>>they had to ship them from Ohio instead of Sparks NV....be here on Wednesday....OH well....**** happens...

Got the cam degreed in at 103...timing chain cover on....oil pump on...oil pan on...gave it a 1st coat of Hemi orange...only dam Chrysler paint autozone had....guy wanted to sell me ford or gm blue...nope...

UPS say head gaskets on truck for delivery...I need to change valve springs on heads first...

Engine should be pretty much done today....tomorrow....mate motor and trans...need to get transbrake out of other 904......Probably friday install engine in this Fuster....

-
Back