71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
I'm loading the trailer tomorrow.... coming up saturday with the sole intention of making hits on the tree. Car is pretty dang consistant, just need to get comfortable leaving.

go out of town for a week..and you never know what you are going to find parked in the back lot went you get home....need to talk to my daughter about this....

two enclosed car trailers with Pontiac firechickens in them and tow vehicles....one of them supposedly carried the No. 1 in Stock Eliminator on it two years in a role... Have to see what parking rates are these days...LOL

go out of town for a week..and you never know what you are going to find parked in the back lot went you get home....need to talk to my daughter about this....

two enclosed car trailers with Pontiac firechickens in them and tow vehicles....one of them supposedly carried the No. 1 in Stock Eliminator on it two years in a role... Have to see what parking rates are these days...LOL

Late FI cars I presume? Probably good guys. None the less, time to jack them up...$$$$$. Just like cats, don't feed them...or they'll never leave...lol.

I was going to come up to the divisional..... but I'm scheduled to work :(. Friend of mine from SoDak relocated to Flagstaff. They have a 70 Coronet wagon (2 ton tamater) and a 70 six pack road runner stick car they run in Stock.

Late FI cars I presume? Probably good guys. None the less, time to jack them up...$$$$$. Just like cats, don't feed them...or they'll never leave...lol.

actually they are not FI cars.....earlier Firebirds....Burtons...

they are friends with my neighbor with the f/sa 68 barracuda....and he asked if they could park their trailers after the Phoenix divisional until vegas divisional/national.

nice to have a place where park your junk,,,without neighbors bothering you..

Ok..put the duster up on the lift today....looked at everything twice..see who is naughty and nice....probably fire it up tomorrow....recheck things....fuel the car..and put the battery charger on it for the night....

TnT Saturday afternoon....3 pm Vegas time...

tnt @ 3? guess I don't have to leave too early.

Well Tony,after us following your project since November(all winter for some of us),I hope you can get out for some T&T and R&R at the track.Have some fun,you deserve it.:glasses7:

yes...hopefully everything goes down the track and nothing breaks...getting tired of working on that duster...lol

got 3 of them fueled...batteries charged...71 Dart on the trailer...load the other two in the morning...already checked the fuel pump on the demon....it makes noise...

Was not a very good weekend again...I am going to crush this dam duster.....it is a FIAT...Fix It Again Tony.......

Tonya Dart...seems to have broken something in the passenger side lower A arm...as the car is sitting on the lower a arm bump stop and nothing we do to the Torsion bar adjuster moves the suspension off it....that happen on Saturday 1st pass and car made a turn for the other lane...which would have crashed into a certain 71 Duster...that i seem never to get done on..

rear t bar socket welds are good...bar is not turning inside the front socket either...changed t bar out...still the same...

Now that Duster...Saturday...it made 5 passes...with head wind 15-20 mph...car picked up a tenth on each pass as daughter did not like car wiggling as the wind hit it...last pass was 11.44 @ 115..which is about 4 tenths from where it should have been..

so Sunday...1st passes...11.72...WTF...then 2nd time run...as the car goes thru the lights...I see a small puff of smoke...now what..

car get towed back...dam track is going to send me a big bill for the number of times they have towed that duster back to the pits...

water in the oil....

yesterday...start tearing it apart...valve covers off...well everything is where it is suppose to be...take compression test...#3 no compression....I notice that the radiator still has water in it...plus there appears not to be a large amount of water in the oil....optimist is running high...

off comes head...i see that it dinged an exhaust valve...ok ..see why no compression...but why the water...look at head gasket...looks like it is ok...

closer look at #3 cylinder reveal a crack in cylinder wall about 1/2 in long toward the top of the cylinder...I hit remote starter switch to help clear the water out of the cylinders from pulling the head off....BINGO....

#3 piston does not move up and down....seems like it cracked cylinder ...filled up cylinder will water...and water does not compress....breaks SCAT 4340 I beam rod...F-Bomb...

Well...my Demon is still running....let Tonya drive it on Sunday during the points race since I did not sign up to run the points since I will be gone out of town working for the summer...Saturday...I drove it and it ran it fastest time in Vegas at 11.008 @ 118.50 into that head wind...friend with fancy weather station said Head wind was slowing car down just over a tenth...

Sunday with no wind blowing and a 100 lbs lighter driver...1st passed goes 10.80 @ 120+...second pass 10.77 @ 121+.....dial 10.79 in 1st round...runs 10.81...loses close race in the lights...

Ok...now to fix that Duster....

getting into the stash of parts..Ross flat top pistons...another set of 4340 I beam rods...get bearing..rings together...plus 10/10 crank...get them to machine shop to get balanced..

360 .030 block...needs hone and cam bearing...going to hit it with glaze breaker and i got a cam bearing tool....and cam bearings...

got an another set of Modern Cylinder head cnc eddys in closet...LOL...need to change out valve springs ( PAC springs).....Camshaft....either MP 590 or going with a Howard flat tappet 260/264 grind..

MATS is next race....April

This dam car has destroyed more parts in one year....then I have broke in 30+ years of racing....and I ain't going to let it win the war..

The official name for that Duster is BOAT

Break Out Another Thousand!

Damn Tony.... that sucks! let us know what you find on Tonya's car with the torsion bar deal.

Sorry to hear of your engine issues Tony.We all know you,ll be up and running for the MATS.Your lucky your the Master hoarder of parts LOL,as that,s usually what takes the most time....waiting for parts.Any idea what caused this?Do you think it was just a bad block?Good luck with the re&re.

sounds like you got the "new car blues" going on, Tony. The dart should know better, though!
Im pulling for you.

Ouch! Sorry to hear this....On the bright side, at least you have most (if not all) the parts to fix it. Good luck.

Rotating assembly at machine shop.....

found a new set of valve springs in my pile of parts...

heading out of town for two days....

Wow...fly up...and fly back....fast trip for a 30 minute interview....LOL

Tonya and I pull the torsion bars and lower control arms off her dart yesterday afternoon...the rear T bar sockets appear to be fine...clean the inside of the sockets out...and can not see anything wrong or moving inside...What we did find was that the tube where the LCA pivot goes through the K member is damage on the left side...

and waiting on machine shop for Duster rotating assembly to come back...should have that engine assemble by end of next week and swapped out...

I got about 3 weeks left before I go back on vacation...oh..I mean back to work...probably the week after MATS...

machine shop called....rotating assembly is ready to be picked up in the morning....been getting old engine ready to be pulled out...

plus doing a few things on Tonya dart while we wait for a part to show up...

and the 904 that was in the duster a race a go...i thought it had killed the converter...well...i was going to put it back in the duster...so i move the input shaft...everything seems ok..

so I said to myself...you are stupid if you dont open this trans up and look.....well..i pull the pump out..and find pieces of metal ...the direct drum clutch pac....the bevel spring is broke put the piston has a large crack in it....gotta fix that too now.

BTW...that means the TA converter is good then...lol

Your shop seems really on the ball. Sure will be nice to get the engine back early seeing how time is the real enemy as far as the MATS and your new work schedule. I hope the Dart gets squared away in time also.

-
Back