71 duster at mecum

-
I'm all confused the way they twist the wording. It's an all original date coded motor and then it's a numbers matching motor and it ran 13.2 in the quarter mile with the original motor?
I've never heard of an original 340/4spd anything going that fast.

Whomever is writing the description is extremely uneducated about the car in general or drinking out of the Whiskey barrel those bidders will be sipping out of lol....

Where's the proof that's the correct block? For that type of estimate there had better be something other than a couple one liners in an ad.... My Dad says 40K is pretty realistic. Someone come get mine for 20k lol.....

JW

I'd be happier if the car went for $15k.

The cars going up in value does us no good unless you plan on selling and getting out of the hobby entirely. Otherwise all it does is cost us more money.

I was watching Mecum a couple weeks ago and a Nova went for 80k. I couldn't believe it. It's the time for these cars. Guys our age had them when they were younger and want them now. I bet it goes for 60,000

What's better than a 340 4-speed in a A-body! Light weight- just the right size- Duster in E5-blacked out hood! That's why I'm on this site. I know the secret.

I was watching Mecum a couple weeks ago and a Nova went for 80k. I couldn't believe it. It's the time for these cars. Guys our age had them when they were younger and want them now. I bet it goes for 60,000
Kissimmee seems to attract higher rollers than some of the other auctions. I think it will hit $60,000 and stall there and the buyer won't lift the reserve because he's drinking the cool aid that Mecum is selling. 80 to 100 grand :realcrazy:

Kissimmee seems to attract higher rollers than some of the other auctions. I think it will hit $60,000 and stall there and the buyer won't lift the reserve because he's drinking the cool aid that Mecum is selling. 80 to 100 grand :realcrazy:
The car is without a doubt not represented as it should be. I will not take away anything on it being a real 71 340 Duster. It's just not true to the tag which would have increased the value over non V24 4 speed cars. Like any other vehicle sold at auction potential buyers better do their homework or pay someone to do it for them.

Matching number car owners are much more impressed by matching numbers than most other enthusiasts, Myself included cool and a little boring :poke:

Matching number car owners are much more impressed by matching numbers than most other enthusiasts, Myself included cool and a little boring :poke:

It's a personal preference lol.... My Dad is all about all the numbers matching. Me personally I could care less except for the reality that numbers matching is a good thing in the Marketplace. But that's not to say something done any other way won't do well in the market either....

JW

Does it really matter what they predict it will get? Whenever I watch Mecum the commentators usually don’t have much knowledge of Mopars in general and they usually talk about a Chevy or Ford coming up while the bidding is going on. Sometimes they cut to a commercial as the bidding starts and when they come back a different car is on the block. Same thing that Barrett Jackson does.
I agree. I have just about stopped watching either of them for that reason. They talk up the bowties and blue ovals, but you rarely a Mopar go across the stage.

Okay, just out of curiosity, I have a 1972 Demon 340, originally a 3 speed car, bench seat, cloth, and the old full wheel covers. About to send it to AMD for a restoration, lots of sheetmetal to change, gonna mini tub it with frame connectors. I'm not sure yet what route I'll go engine wise, but it's the original block. Thinking of going a little crazy with it, but still undecided. What might something like that be worth, in the opinion of the members here. Not planning to sell it, just curious.

Okay, just out of curiosity, I have a 1972 Demon 340, originally a 3 speed car, bench seat, cloth, and the old full wheel covers. About to send it to AMD for a restoration, lots of sheetmetal to change, gonna mini tub it with frame connectors. I'm not sure yet what route I'll go engine wise, but it's the original block. Thinking of going a little crazy with it, but still undecided. What might something like that be worth, in the opinion of the members here. Not planning to sell it, just curious.

When you said AMD that starts the books being in the red on your car. It takes a really unique car to pull down big money and unless your car has something particular to stand out above the crowd then I would not worry about the final number if you decide to ever sell it. Minitub starts to veer away from any true original value to the car.

It sounds like you have the beginnings of a original type car but once you add up the cost to get it back original you may realize one of those 40K Dusters people laugh at ain't such a bad deal if it's done right. Times have changed restoring your own car. My advice- go crazy and have fun with it. Go see your investor that handles your retirement if you want to make a few bucks...

JW

View attachment 1715847052 Re: 71 Duster340 [Re: topside]#30015584 hours ago
D

Virginia's Eastern Shore
Ok, I was able to get a photo of the tag. The paint is heavy on it so look good. It's nothing like you may have thought. A real E55 340 car but NOT a factory V24 car nor a factory 4-speed car. It is in fact a real FE5 car with V5X body side moldings and L1XX black/white bench seating. I hope the owner didn't get his hopes up to much with MECUM's totally incorrect value!

1964 SPORT FURY CONVERTIBLE 426-S
remember mecum works on a sale $$ percentage commission

When you said AMD that starts the books being in the red on your car. It takes a really unique car to pull down big money and unless your car has something particular to stand out above the crowd then I would not worry about the final number if you decide to ever sell it. Minitub starts to veer away from any true original value to the car.

It sounds like you have the beginnings of a original type car but once you add up the cost to get it back original you may realize one of those 40K Dusters people laugh at ain't such a bad deal if it's done right. Times have changed restoring your own car. My advice- go crazy and have fun with it. Go see your investor that handles your retirement if you want to make a few bucks...

JW
Nah, not trying to make anything from it, it will go to one of my heirs upon my demise. I have owned the car since it was new, and always had an idea of what I wanted to do with it, but funds were just never were available. Thanks for the input.

Nah, not trying to make anything from it, it will go to one of my heirs upon my demise. I have owned the car since it was new, and always had an idea of what I wanted to do with it, but funds were just never were available. Thanks for the input.
As the owner of a pretty original sublime 1970 340 4-speed swinger two owner car I have always been conscientious about keeping it as original as I can within reason. My advice is don't make any changes that are hard to change back. For example lots of people minitub and move there leaf springs in only to pull it all out a few years later to go back original . Dusters and demons will accommodate large drag radials that fit under stock suspension ish cars with a little bit of work and are capable of holding a lot of horsepower and pushing a car into the low 10s. And faster.

IMG_20210416_150611884.jpg

I own both numbers matching and non numbers matching,, and the cars don't know the difference. One fact is the numbers matching cars regardless of engine are more rare, as many lost the original. That to me is the only reason they are more desirable.

And, As my wife says, they aren't worth anything unless you SELL THEM!!!!

I own both numbers matching and non numbers matching,, and the cars don't know the difference. One fact is the numbers matching cars regardless of engine are more rare, as many lost the original. That to me is the only reason they are more desirable.

And, As my wife says, they aren't worth anything unless you SELL THEM!!!!

Hmmmm, you better hold those titles close!

An original 340 3spd with an original owner sounds kinda rare to me. Might be worth making it an all original build.
Just my .02 worth.

As the owner of a pretty original sublime 1970 340 4-speed swinger two owner car I have always been conscientious about keeping it as original as I can within reason. My advice is don't make any changes that are hard to change back. For example lots of people minitub and move there leaf springs in only to pull it all out a few years later to go back original . Dusters and demons will accommodate large drag radials that fit under stock suspension ish cars with a little bit of work and are capable of holding a lot of horsepower and pushing a car into the low 10s. And faster.

View attachment 1715851981

Opinions vary and our ideas align in how you have kept your car fairly original. It was why I pulled back on putting an RB in my car. And it's not anything over the top but all the main parts are there if the next owner wants to head in that direction. It makes selling the car easier IMO and if someone wants to chop it up and resto-mod it well I'm good with it lol.... I ruined a couple of good original cars back in the day so I got that out my system lol...

JW

An original 340 3spd with an original owner sounds kinda rare to me. Might be worth making it an all original build.
Just my .02 worth.
In 1992 I owned a 70 dart 340 with the three on the floor,,, I wanted to sell it to a friend of mine, but he said I made it up, as all 340's were four speeds, so he didn't buy the car.
In 2017 I reminded him that he said that, and he acknowledged that he had to be the dumbest guy on the planet in 1993. Oh well,I sold it to a guy in Minneapolis, and warned him it used a quart of oil every 400 or so miles.

So the duffess had the balls to call me up a few days later after getting back to Minneapolis to complain that he used a Quart going to Minneapolis.
I asked him if he had been as stupid as a child as he is now!

In 1992 I owned a 70 dart 340 with the three on the floor,,, I wanted to sell it to a friend of mine, but he said I made it up, as all 340's were four speeds, so he didn't buy the car.
In 2017 I reminded him that he said that, and he acknowledged that he had to be the dumbest guy on the planet in 1993. Oh well,I sold it to a guy in Minneapolis, and warned him it used a quart of oil every 400 or so miles.

So the duffess had the balls to call me up a few days later after getting back to Minneapolis to complain that he used a Quart going to Minneapolis.

I had in my possession a 72 H code that was factory 3 speed. Complete minus engine and bench seat. It also had a dealer installed Hood tach which I kept. I saw the car on Ebay about 10 years ago. Still unrestored and went for somewhere around d 4000.00 which was strong money for it...

JW

That's because it's only 377 miles from Omaha NE to Minneapolis MN :rofl::rofl::rofl:
He didn't get the full 400 miles per quart.

Last edited:
-
Back