71 duster at mecum

-
I don't know man I loveA bodies as much as the next guy probably more, but I got to wonder if there's not some hinky business going on ? 71,000 you should be able to get two of them for that price :wtf:

It needs to be some exceptional example that can't be
I wonder if this is a record for a "stock" Duster.

View attachment 1715852991

Somewhere in the thread there is a link about the car being discussed on Moparts. If what has been said is true it's not Stock.... Either way, that's alot of hookers and blow with that kind of loot lol....

JW

Just turned it on. I like to watch the auction. It is exciting and a fun car show that I can enjoy from my recliner with a good bourbon in my hand. Mopars coming up I see.

20220114_184118.jpg

We treated ourselves to a 65" Samsung for Christmas. I try not to get too analytical and just enjoy the car **** parade.
Altho the commentators were a little shy on descriptions

Get it while it's hot exceptional deal on original 340 swinger 4 speed sublime from the factory plus six pack, factory sheet metal no rust, original glass, original rear end, original transmission, too much to list! it can be yours for the flashing blue light special price of 65,000 :rolleyes:

IMG_20211231_180108442.jpg

If you have to ask you can't afford it lol...... Seriously, I will entertain anything over 50K or a night with Heather Graham.....

JW

Image161188544.jpg

Get it while it's hot exceptional deal on original 340 swinger 4 speed sublime from the factory plus six pack, factory sheet metal no rust, original glass, original rear end, original transmission, too much to list! it can be yours for the flashing blue light special price of 65,000 :rolleyes:

View attachment 1715853008
LMAO. Yep, makes my 40,000 mile 318 Swinger worth at least $40,000.

1492195-236824768adaa04e8dd4ce41bf2c70d2.jpg

Shaking my head...in person, phone or Internet?

You forgot one… shill

Doubt it really sold. You shill most of the cars and to create an spot “market”. Then the few cars in between the shills go for high dollar.

Then this 71 Duster gets moved around to some other dealer and they sell it to an un-car-educated idiot for a bargain of $40K

classic case of bump 30%, discount 10%.

Mecum commentators scream document when there are any.
Rich peeps trading declining $$$ for something tangible.
Some high end collections selling probably from estate?
Prices maybe higher at BJ coming up more booze and rich drunks??
Like said, free car show, wife made popcorn.

so, with this silly stupid 71 dusteras an example, what is a nice all numbers matching 69 GTS 340 that needs nothing worth with 58k actual miles?

so, with this silly stupid 71 dusteras an example, what is a nice all numbers matching 69 GTS 340 that needs nothing worth with 58k actual miles?
As much as the auctioneers can hype it up AND some fat cat rich "collector" is willing to pay after consuming free adult beverages! :rofl:

As much as the auctioneers can hype it up AND some fat cat rich "collector" is willing to pay after consuming free adult beverages! :rofl:

2 drunk bidders is all it takes. Maybe the idea behind this purchase is a tax loss lol.... Either way someone is scheming how to get Mecum to estimate their Duster in that way....

JW

As far as fetched as some of these prices seem to be maybe it's not that out of line when you take into consideration the price of restoring a car these days. When you can pay $20,000 for a solid start that you will pay 10 to $15,000 for just the body and paint work alone.

And how big of a high roller are you? How tight are you with the Mecum clan. Do you buy and sell lots cars a year with Mecum?

Cause if not, your car is going to get a lousy selling time. There are plenty of cars hitting the block that you don’t see in TV…. So you aren’t seeing what those “hammer” numbers are.

from another site:

Yeah, Mecum auctions are now custom tailored to cater to the big dogs with the big money. I get it, as from a business perspective if makes total "cents". What I didn't get was all of the shenanigans that go on at those auctions. A few years ago I was at MCACN and was at Tom's after party. I somehow found myself in a group conversation involving a number of the big dogs. They were talking and I was just listening, but the stuff about the fake bidding, shill bidding, chandelier bidding, seeded house bidders, short hammer sales, inflated reserves so on and so forth just blew my mind!! I guess I was naive but I had assumed that it was all pretty straight forward as described in the rules ... but it's not. It's a money making machine and like Vegas, the house always wins.

Last edited:
If I had a car in that auction, I would just bid on my own car till it got real close to reserve! LOL:rofl::poke::steering::BangHead:
Or have you and your friend bid it up to about twice what it's worth buy it back and then resell it in a few months and someone will think they got a great deal on one for $60,000 just like the one that went for $80,000 that's what I mean by hinky.

Or have you and your friend bid it up to about twice what it's worth buy it back and then resell it in a few months and someone will think they got a great deal on one for $60,000 just like the one that went for $80,000 that's what I mean by hinky.

absolutely!!

There’s a bigger picture beyond the auction.

-
Back