71 Duster console shifter a little buggered

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
My trans moves into all gears by the level no problem. However, my console shifter is having issues

Won't 'lock' into park. R, N and D are fine, and will not move toward low 2 and 1

I don't even know where to start, I have never taken one out/apart

It is for sure the shifter, same issue unhooked from trans lever/rod

Any tips would be great?

First off, how do I remove the console lol

Before removing things, try adjusting it first. There is a set screw on the knob. Loosen that and turn the knob to tighten then re-set the screw in place. The knob connects with a stiff cable with threads on the end.
If it wont lock the adjustment may be too tight so turn the knob counter clockwise. One turn at a time and retest until you get it working right.
If you do want to access the shifter the whole console needs to be removed. The top plate can only be removed after the console is out. You will need to completely remove the knob to remove console.

If console removal needed- remove that knob completely leaving only the shaft. Next four screws. Open the console door. there are two screws at the bottom. Next, two "hidden" screws. At the front of the console, on each side, hiding under the console carpet is a screw, one left and one right. Pull up the side carpet and find them. Then pull entire console up and back along that shaft to remove.

Awesome info! I will try the adjustment first. I did not realize that is how they are adjusted or that they were even adjustable at all

It will go into park, but will not lock there.

just loosen the console screws in the glove box and at the front sides and move the console forward. The slot for the screw is pretty long so you could also move the console ahead a little and try the screw in a different part of the slot.

Fixed!! would have never known how to adjust, that is all it needed...thanks all

-
Back