71 Duster rear wheel and tire combination help

-

scott2683

Reaction score
I'm currently rocking 225/70R14's on all four corners of my duster. I really like the rallye rims, so I thought about buying some 15x8's with back spacing of 4-5/8" for the back this spring, My main question is what size tire will fill the fenders up the most without rubbing. The springs haven't been relocated and I haven't rolled the fenders. I was thinking a 275/60R15 would fit, but I'm not sure if it would be too wide. I'm just looking to tap into everyone's knowledge and see what they use on the back.

It looks so puny now, I'm just trying to achieve a beefier look!

Attachments

• IMG_5977.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 582
You may need to roll the inner fender lip, but with the right back spacing, a 275/60R15 fits fine.

I'm not sure about 275 on dusters ? I have 255/60 15 on my 71 Twister on 15/7 rally wheels . I don't remember the back space they were custom sbp wheels.

I have 275 tire on the back of my Duster and they fit fine . The ralley wheels are a 15X7 with a 4 1/4 rear spacing with a 1/4 spacer for spring clearance

Attachments

• duster 003.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 595
  • duster 004.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 605
  • duster 005.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 580
my duster has 15 X 8 rallys with a 4-1/4 backspace and 275 60's. I have 15 X 7 rallys on the front ( same back space) with 215 65's</p>

I am sorry I dont have the complete info. My 9" Ford rearend was built to center my 17x9's 275/40/17's in my stock wheel wells. The tire will fit in yours but uncertain as to how. You will have to carefully measure backspacing, and maybe even move your springs. Like I said my rearend was purpose built for the job, my spring location and tubs are stock.

my duster has 15 X 8 rallys with a 4-1/4 backspace and 275 60's. I have 15 X 7 rallys on the front ( same back space) with 215 65's</p>

Did you have to use spacers or anything? Do you have any up close pics of the rear handy?

I have 275 tire on the back of my Duster and they fit fine . The ralley wheels are a 15X7 with a 4 1/4 rear spacing with a 1/4 spacer for spring clearance

Yours looks really good. Since the back spacing on the15x8 is 4-5/8 think I would need a spacer?

I have no spacers. I don't have any up close pic.s handy, and right now I have the car is on my lift for winter storage. Mine looks and sits just like the blue one pictured above.

Thanks, I think thats the route I'm going to take. The wheels are back ordered until the last week of march, but I doubt I'm driving it before then anyways!

you will love how your car looks with this wheel and tire size....I get tons of compliments on mine.

im running 275/60/15 with 15 x 7 wheels with 4.5" backspace. Fit real well with no clearance issues.

These are 15x7 with 4 1/4 backspace all way around. the back needs a 1/4 inch spacer but front is perfect. runnin a 225-70-15 on front and 275-60-15 on back

First 2 are with air shocks with 120 PSI
Last 2 are with air shocks with 0 PSI

Attachments

• 2-17-13 2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 571
  • 2-17-13.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 555
  • CMX Wheels 275-60 and 225-70 4.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 537
  • CMX Wheels 275-60 and 225-70 3.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 553
I agree. I think it should really help to set my car off. Hopefully I will be able to do it reasonably cheap too, I'm guess around $600 max with tires, since I'll be able to use my old center caps and lug nuts from my 14'' wheels.

I'm ready for winter to be over with, Not being able to drive my car is killing me. Is it sad I've considered relocating to the south just so I can drive my car year round?

ya moving south is somthing I'v been thinkin about myself......but then theres the heat in the summer months....uggg !

Rub it in 74dartswinger, That sounds awesome though! I'd love it down there. You're right fanofpetty, the summer heat would get a little unbearable from time to time, but the thought of not having to deal with the cold makes in pretty enticing.

I just got thinkin...I do have some better pic's of my duster up close on here. Go to " members restorations " and on the 5th page look for " the 12th month mark" ( thats my thread)

Thanks fanofpetty, I'll check them out! I appreciate the input from everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help. Duster2 saw my post and sent me a message, he happened to have 2 15''x8'' wheels and beauty rings, with brand new 275/60 tires on them, that was an exact match to my front. I met him at the Indy swap meet, and loaded them up.

Everyone's recommendation was right, the wheels and tires bolted right on with no rubbing, I didn't need a spacer or anything. Its amazing how much difference some meat in the back can make!!! Here's a couple pics, I'll post some better ones when it warms up!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 497
  • photo_1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 512
  • photo_2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 498
looks great! ! It is amazing how much better 15 inch wheels look compared to the 14 inch wheels, as they really help fill up the wheel wells.

Yeah they really do, I was completely surprised after I lowered the car back down and pulled it out of the garage!

-
Back