72 A/C Low Side Valve

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I have an original 1972 A/C system in the Demon, which was previously converted to 134a. I've never done a conversion, in fact, I recently brought it up in a thread and asked some questions.

Deciding not to monkey with it, I booked the car at our pro-shop for an A/C service........I explained to the tech that I had the low side valve out to check it, and found the 0-ring bad.......I didn't have a new valve, so I put it off until I got it in for service.

The tech told me that there was an incorrect adapter over the valve....he said the adapter itself should have had a new valve in it as an actual PART of the adapter,........the one in my car used the original valve and cap thread, and the new adapter went OVER the original, rather than replacing it.

This tech stated that it was incorrect, and would never seal correctly............................the old valve housing, according to him, must come OUT and be replaced with a complete adapter in order for it to work properly.

Any comments on this? I've been stuck too many times to ignore.... I don't want him doing any unnecessary work on this..........The adapter on it came with the kit that was purchased by the previous owner, and worked fine until I took the lines off and replaced the 0-rings.

Am I being hornswaggled somehow? Nothing to worry about?

Comment if you can................. Doc :mrgreen:

there are different type conversion adapters out there. Most simply screw on resulting in stacked valves. You really need the kit mfgrs' instructions.

Aside from buying an entire "kit" to convert a system, is there a proper `134a low side valve available that will screw directly into the original hole?

I used one of the valves that screw on over the smaller one and had constant leaks. Went thru two compressors before finding out it was the problem. I would use the one that goes directly into the hole.
Bruce

P1, as stated there are a couple of different style converson valves. If you haven't fixed it yet, and are going to the Don Garlits Mopar show, send me an e-mail ([email protected]) I will send you my cell number. If you call me at the show, I can install a valve for you at the show.

I have to miss it this year.....there's a big Chamber of Commerce event here in Z-Hills that Saturday that I'm committed to.......MIGHT be possible on Friday, but I doubt it..............

Just to be clear, the proper valve conversion set-up will screw in directly to the comp. head like the old one?................I noticed the old one is EXTREMELY tight.........so tight in fact, that I was afraid to put any more pressure on with my wrench............... :toothy9:

I take it you are using the old V-2 cast iron compressor. You can leave the old fitting in the head. Then your options are to either install a new valve in that fitting and install a hollow adapter, or remove the valve in the fitting and install an adapter with a valve in the adapter. The valve in the fitting in the head are similar to a tire valve, and are removed and installed with the same tool. But do not install a tire valve, it will leak eventually.

Well said........I appreciate it.........

Correct on the compressor........the old valve inside the original fitting is shot.....the o-ring is smaller than any I have, and the valve, when extracted, is also looking very old and tired (and a little bent..............kinda like me when I get out from under the hood after trying to adjust that tempermental Holly electronic choke.....$%#&* !!).

The fitting I have now utilizes the old school valve........I think what they want to do is remove the old valve, and put on the adapter with the new style valve in it...........I guess it makes sense...........

I've been burned so many times in the last 25 years I'm just a little jumpy I guess....................... :blob: (too much caffeine today too...) Doc

Well, if you are not in a hurry to get it fixed, you can come up to my place, and I will take care of it for you. It is a bit of a drive, though. Will only charge for parts/material. I am in Silver Springs, about 20 miles east of I-75 at Ocala.

-
Back