72 Dart w/1" Adapters & Police Rims = No Go

-

TripleJackInGA

Master of None
Reaction score
So I really want to run Police Rims on my 72 Dart 4-door. I have 2 sitting in the garage, so I ordered some nice 1" thick billet adapters.
Long story short, I bolted one adapter up, jacked the car up by the rearend, to compress the springs/shocks, and put one bare wheel on.
The edge of the lip on the rim is almost exactly at the edge of the wheelwell, where it rolls under.
I'm afraid that even if I get a tire on the wheels that is exactly as wide as the wheels (and I don't know which one would be), that it will be so close to that edge, it will somehow rub.
I could roll the fenders in the back, but that seems like a lot to do.

I measured the backspacing on the wheels afterwards. They appear to have a 4 3/8" backspace from the mounting pad (the two rings that actually ride on the drum/hub).
The rims are 15x7, which are standard police rims.

Pics to come in the AM.

Opinions?

I have those wheels on My 72 Dart.But I changed to BBP axles so they fit with no problems.It's gotta be that 1" adapter that's the issue.

I have those wheels on My 72 Dart.But I changed to BBP axles so they fit with no problems.It's gotta be that 1" adapter that's the issue.

Yep, this I now know. I just don't have the time or money to do a BBP swap right now, plus there's no other real reason to do it, except to gain access to more wheels, since it's s Slant Six.

If you could fit some 17x7or8" rims with 5.25" to 5.5" backspacing and up to 245/45/17 tires. There might be some cheap take off mustang bullit rims and tires on craigslist that fit those specs.

What the factory backspace on a SN95 (95-2004?) Mustang buillit rims?

There's more variety of sbp wheels these days .Of course again it's a question of $.Keep on the look out with so many who have done the BBP swap you can find some good deals on rallye's and so forth Good luck to ya !

Need more info please:

What Rear End ya running?
Did you buy 2 or 4 of the Adaptors?
How much you pay for the Adaptors?

Let me know this info and I have a solution for your problem.

Later,
Bruce B.

Need more info please:

What Rear End ya running?
Did you buy 2 or 4 of the Adaptors?
How much you pay for the Adaptors?

Let me know this info and I have a solution for your problem.

Later,
Bruce B.

The car is all original with 55k miles - Slant Six / Auto. / 7 1/4" Rear / Kelsey Hayes Front Disks
I bought 4 adapters, and with shipping, they cost me $149.

And the pictures...

P2190004.jpg

P2190005.jpg

P2190006.jpg

P2190010.jpg

There's more variety of sbp wheels these days .Of course again it's a question of $.Keep on the look out with so many who have done the BBP swap you can find some good deals on rallye's and so forth Good luck to ya !

I actually have some SBP rallyes on it now, that I swapped off my 65 Dart, until I figure out what I want to do, because the old D78-14 Polyglas were just plain scary to ride on.
They look fine, I just really like the old Police rims.

It might work if you roll the lip and get the perfect tire size. but it also might not work. what about the fronts though? those could fit even worse.

Police rims look great but, you might be better off looking for some other rims. But with that bolt pattern you should be able to find a bunch of reasonably priced used rims.

I had these rims on my 72 dart after I did the BBP conversion and they barely fit on the rear. I forgot what size 60series tires I was running. But you don't really have much clearance between the fender and the leaf springs. No way will an adapter work with stock fenders.

The car is all original with 55k miles - Slant Six / Auto. / 7 1/4" Rear / Kelsey Hayes Front Disks
I bought 4 adapters, and with shipping, they cost me $149.

OK....
Find a '73 up A-Body with Disc Brakes and a 7-1/4 rear and snatch the axles they will be BBP - Direct replacements and you lose the rear spacer/adaptors. As for the front the Scarebird conversion is probably the cheapest SBP to BBP converson.

My 2 cents
Later,
Bruce B.

check out late model crown vic police wheels there are 2 differnet offsets maybe around 05 they changed. one of them should work. they are 16"

OK....
Find a '73 up A-Body with Disc Brakes and a 7-1/4 rear and snatch the axles they will be BBP - Direct replacements and you lose the rear spacer/adaptors. As for the front the Scarebird conversion is probably the cheapest SBP to BBP converson.

My 2 cents
Later,
Bruce B.

I dont argue and I dont know but I will ask... Are you positive the axles in '72 and '73 7.25 rears are interchangeable.?
I know the axle bearing design changed but I dont recall what year that happened. Good luck to all.

kinda scary i am going to start on my 73 dodge dart and im changing out the wheels hope not to have 2 much trouble

You should be good, I run 15x7 Cop steelies on my Cherokee, Dakota and the 74 Duster, even had em on a 70 Chrysler 300,..always had good luck with these rims,....stop by the local garage and get 4 old tires of differnt sizes so's you can see what fits best with whatever wheel/tire combo your runnin,...

-
Back