'72 Dart w/360 cooling issues

-

GMAN1953

Reaction score
Hey Guys....still trying to figure out my '72, I added a electric fan (3100 cfm) and most likely need more amps from alternator, I think the stock is 45amps...the new fan pulls 19 amps. So if I go with say a 60 to 65 amp alternator would that do it? seems logical. Also will stock wiring handle the difference in amps? I do have an aluminum rad.

My set up; 360 bored 20 over with TRW 10.5 to 1 , 509/292 cam, single plane with 750 holley, steal heads, 727 with coan 3500 stall, 410 Dana with spool.

I like to do local cruises and at the end of last season while running 60 to 65 mph (to get downtown) the car ran between 210 and 220. it did cool to 190 to 200 when off interstate.

Hope this is enough info.... what are you guys running to keep cool? Anyone have a similar set up?

Regards; G

I like to do local cruises and at the end of last season while running 60 to 65 mph (to get downtown) the car ran between 210 and 220. it did cool to 190 to 200 when off interstate.

I'm not sure I see a problem there.

210* IMO isn't hot, other opinions may say different. 4.10 gears at 65, that engine is working, lol.

Is there a gap around the sides, or over the top, of the radiator to allow air to bypass going through the core? If so, sealing up those areas can help. If air can find a way to go around the radiator it will, you have to force it through the core. This is especially true with thick aluminum radiators. Take a look at the front of my car. I don't have near the frontal area you guys do but due to proper ducting it runs 180-185 degrees going down the highway in 100 degree heat. You should be able to accomplish the same thing quite easily with all the frontal area you guys are so so lucky to have :).

every lb pressure in the system is good for ~+3 degrees added boil temp.

60% antifreeze raises boiling point of water to 230 at sea level itself. Most radiators are pressurized to at least 8psi which raises the boiling point to 236 itself. Boil over is bad, running a motor 'hot' (by design) is not bad in itself, less cylinder wear,less emissions. Just keep your ambiant air temp (intake temp) cool. My 82 truck has a stock 192 stat!

Run a full shroud, free cooling efficiency even at speed.

I've tried a 16" pusher fan, a few 16" puller fans, chevy hhr fan. The ford taurus fan is the only one that worked for me. If I had to do it all over again I would have spent the money on a good viscous mechanical fan set up with a shroud and be done with it.

The ladies like mechanical
(don't exactly know why I said this. It popped into my head and made me laugh)

-
Back