72 Demon at Barrett-Jackson

-
I was watching Mecum Kissimee last night, I know it was from earlier this year and a red 68 dart with a Hemi went for like 45 or 47 K! What a joke you couldn't even dream of building that car for close to that. I know A bodies are coming up in price, but that's life at an auction, the guy's with big money want original high dollar stuff. I believe that dart I am talking about was the one from Muscle Car Restorations in Wisconsin, he was asking 80K for that car at Mopars in the park last year if I remember correctly! Had a 528 Ray Barton Hemi in it.

Last edited:
@%25 big ones for a 72 Demon, .... guess I sold my slant Demon in '07 for $3500 needing paint was wayyyyyy too cheap!!??? ha
but I do wish I had it back!!!

Hmmm. Restored 340 car, auto. Looks like a nice car, but there's some things that are off. Maybe it's just me, but, the paint and stripes in this picture are suspect. Looks like the stripes were applied at different times or maybe different suppliers, the color of the stripe on the quarter doesn't match the front. Maybe even the paint? And, the stripes don't line up from the fender to the door to the quarter. Stripe on the tail doesn't look right either. Not much in the way of pictures or description to figure it out either.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 7.58.42 PM.png

Steve Magnante also stated it had fiberglass front fenders. When they showed the interior I could see it had a 1970 Rallye dash with thumbwheel radio, which may be an upgrade but certainly not correct.

The twin scoops on the hood are not original, (and look to be in the wrong place as well), and the Demon 340 decal on the tail stripe are wrong for a '72.

Just another example of The Big Buck Guys, at a Barrett Jackson Auction.

The twin scoops on the hood are not original, (and look to be in the wrong place as well), and the Demon 340 decal on the tail stripe are wrong for a '72.

Good catch, it does look like the hood scoops are in the wrong place.

Yeah given all the flaws we can pick up from just a few little pictures I'm surprised it even got $25k. I think somebody bought a $15k car for $25k.

Found this unrestored original 71 demon last fall in a guy's shop while buying parts from him, said he was offered 20 K and was still thinking about it, numbers matching 340 4 speed , If my memory serves me correctly it had like 42,000 miles on it! Demons are normally a pretty solid investment due to rarity, but I think someone maybe got auction fever on that 72 lol!

IMG_3372.JPG

Found this unrestored original 71 demon last fall in a guy's shop while buying parts from him, said he was offered 20 K and was still thinking about it, numbers matching 340 4 speed , If my memory serves me correctly it had like 42,000 miles on it!

View attachment 1715036273

Or maybe he'll just pile some more truck tires on it and let it rot while he dreams of a REALLY big bucks payout...

I detest Barrett-Jackson!

Hmmm. Restored 340 car, auto. Looks like a nice car, but there's some things that are off. Maybe it's just me, but, the paint and stripes in this picture are suspect. Looks like the stripes were applied at different times or maybe different suppliers, the color of the stripe on the quarter doesn't match the front. Maybe even the paint? And, the stripes don't line up from the fender to the door to the quarter. Stripe on the tail doesn't look right either. Not much in the way of pictures or description to figure it out either.

View attachment 1715036155

Really....You can see all that in a couple of Pics ? Good eye :steering::steering:

Found this unrestored original 71 demon last fall in a guy's shop while buying parts from him, said he was offered 20 K and was still thinking about it, numbers matching 340 4 speed , If my memory serves me correctly it had like 42,000 miles on it! Demons are normally a pretty solid investment due to rarity, but I think someone maybe got auction fever on that 72 lol!

View attachment 1715036273

Correct my knowledge, I though that 71s only came with twin scoops, also was that hood stripping offered on 71 340's, thought it was only on the sizzler?

Really....You can see all that in a couple of Pics ? Good eye :steering::steering:

I can see all of that in the one picture I posted. It's a small, somewhat low resolution picture which is why I hedged a little, but in that picture you can see the striped don't line up, don't have the same texture/shine, and the color is off from the doors forward compared to the quarters. Now, some of that could be the picture, but the way it all breaks down right on body lines and gaps I would say it's the car.

I pretty much grew up in a car restoration shop, and we did cars that went to concourses so you had to be able to spot that stuff. Color matching paint or even vinyl applied at different times is really difficult. Park it in the sun and even a small difference is easy to see.

Correct my knowledge, I though that 71s only came with twin scoops, also was that hood stripping offered on 71 340's, thought it was only on the sizzler?

71's came with twin scoops, '72's came with snorkels. And the Sizzler striping was NOT offered on the '71 340 cars, the point was to dress up the lower power cars. Sizzler's came with color coded grilles as well.

That '71 also doesn't have a 340 sticker on the side. So, something doesn't jive. Either it's a Sizzler that someone added the scoop and 340 to (and therefore not numbers), or it's a real 340 car someone added that hood to. Which might be the case because it doesn't have the color coded grille. But '71 340's didn't get Sizzler stripes or snorkel scoops. It's either a 340 car or a Sizzler, can't be both.

has to be a barrett Jackson delirium ...IMO, those cars are not rare enough to get that kind of money. I went looking for a duster a couple years ago and turned up with a demon before I found a duster. Found a couple 340 demons locally and a bunch of slanty ones. definitely, not a rare car.

I could see a rare car getting that kind of bread but a DEMON!! no way

71's came with twin scoops, '72's came with snorkels. And the Sizzler striping was NOT offered on the '71 340 cars, the point was to dress up the lower power cars. Sizzler's came with color coded grilles as well.

That '71 also doesn't have a 340 sticker on the side. So, something doesn't jive. Either it's a Sizzler that someone added the scoop and 340 to (and therefore not numbers), or it's a real 340 car someone added that hood to. Which might be the case because it doesn't have the color coded grille. But '71 340's didn't get Sizzler stripes or snorkel scoops. It's either a 340 car or a Sizzler, can't be both.

Thanks for confirming.

has to be a barrett Jackson delirium ...IMO, those cars are not rare enough to get that kind of money. I went looking for a duster a couple years ago and turned up with a demon before I found a duster. Found a couple 340 demons locally and a bunch of slanty ones. definitely, not a rare car.

Uh, ok. Let's compare production numbers for Demon's to '71 and '72 Dusters.

1971 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 69,861
340 Fastback Coupe: 10,098
Total 1971 Demons: 79,959

1972 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 39,880
U.S 340 Fastback Coupe: 8,700
Total 1972 Demons: 48,580

1971 Duster
Fastback Coupe: 173,592
340 Fastback Coupe: 12,886
Total 1971 Dusters: 186,478

1972 Duster
Fastback Coupe: 212,321
340 Fastback Coupe: 15,681
Total 1972 Dusters: 228,002

Seems like they made an extra 106,519 Duster's in '71 compared to Demons. And, in '72 that would be 179,422 more Dusters. That doesn't even figure in '70 Dusters, of which there were 217,192. Oh, let's not forget '73-'76. That's another 701,164 Dusters. So, grand total

1970-1976 Dusters : 1,332,366
1971-1972 Demons : 128,539

They also made 13,796 1970 Challenger R/T's, so, a '71 Demon 340 is actually more rare than a '70 Challenger R/T. But see how those prices work out.

Thanks for confirming.

No problem!

Here's some more info on the Sizzler's. They were '71 only. In '72 that stripe package came with the snorkel scoop, and it was just the performance hood treatment. You could order it on anything. So, if that's a '71 340 Demon, then its wearing a '72 Demon hood. Which may be the case, since there's no Sizzler name decal on it.

72 demon sizzler??

3A%2F%2Fwww.hamtramck-historical.com%2Fimages%2Fvintage-advertising%2F1972%2520demon%2520sizzler.jpg

Last edited:
Good catch, it does look like the hood scoops are in the wrong place.

Yeah given all the flaws we can pick up from just a few little pictures I'm surprised it even got $25k. I think somebody bought a $15k car for $25k.
seats was 73 74 models

Uh, ok. Let's compare production numbers for Demon's to '71 and '72 Dusters.

1971 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 69,861
340 Fastback Coupe: 10,098
Total 1971 Demons: 79,959

1972 Demon
Fastback Coupe: 39,880
U.S 340 Fastback Coupe: 8,700
Total 1972 Demons: 48,580

1971 Duster
Fastback Coupe: 173,592
340 Fastback Coupe: 12,886
Total 1971 Dusters: 186,478

1972 Duster
Fastback Coupe: 212,321
340 Fastback Coupe: 15,681
Total 1972 Dusters: 228,002

Seems like they made an extra 106,519 Duster's in '71 compared to Demons. And, in '72 that would be 179,422 more Dusters. That doesn't even figure in '70 Dusters, of which there were 217,192. Oh, let's not forget '73-'76. That's another 701,164 Dusters. So, grand total

1970-1976 Dusters : 1,332,366
1971-1972 Demons : 128,539

They also made 13,796 1970 Challenger R/T's, so, a '71 Demon 340 is actually more rare than a '70 Challenger R/T. But see how those prices work out.

yea, those were entertaining numbers 45 years ago but how many remain out of that. Typically, when yards see a demon they think to save it, but a duster was seen as a "dime a dozen" so they were more likely to hit the crusher early on. So years later, what used to be the norm, is long gone. could be one reason why I set out to find a 73-6 duster and ran into a 72 demon instead. Dusters are not really around anymore like they were even ten years ago, yet people will tend to hold on to demon under the false pre-tense that all demons were muscle cars.

For being so rare, it's funny how a superbird manages to show up at every show, every summer across the country....they also made a crap load of pintos yet when is the last time.....

45 year old stats and numbers don't mean much in the real world today.

yea, those were entertaining numbers 45 years ago but how many remain out of that. Typically, when yards see a demon they think to save it, but a duster was seen as a "dime a dozen" so they were more likely to hit the crusher early on. So years later, what used to be the norm, is long gone. could be one reason why I set out to find a 73-6 duster and ran into a 72 demon instead. Dusters are not really around anymore like they were even ten years ago, yet people will tend to hold on to demon under the false pre-tense that all demons were muscle cars.

For being so rare, it's funny how a superbird manages to show up at every show, every summer across the country....they also made a crap load of pintos yet when is the last time.....

45 year old stats and numbers don't mean much in the real world today.

Ok, now you're just delirious. Yes, you have a point and there may have been more Demons spared from the crusher. But the ratio was 10:1. There were literally more than 10 times as many Duster's built. 1.3 MILLION compared to 128 thousand! It's not like every Demon ever made was spared and every Duster was crushed.

Not to mention that your experience with finding Demon's instead of a Duster is no one else's. That's why there's multiple build threads right on this forum about people cloning Demons from Dusters, including mine. I looked for a Demon. I found none that weren't a disaster when I was looking. But I had several affordable Dusters in good condition local to me to choose from. And on Craigslist right now in my area there are 3 or 4 dusters. And not a single Demon. Go look on eBay today. Right now you'll find 4 Demons, and you'll find 17 Dusters as of me typing this.

All good points. The Duster and Demons are all rare today. What you can find is the car buried up to the axles or has the typical "new 360" in place of the 340. What is almost impossible to find is a stock, numbers matching and #1 or #2 condition Duster or Demon. They say maybe 5-10% of a particular model Muscle Car are still in existence. (except of course SS Chevelles lol). That doesn't leave a lot. Add into the equation the color you want, the options you want, if you want an auto or 4sp and the percentages drop even more.

I think its worth pretty much that...

My 70 Dart will have 25,000 into it most likely by the time its done...

Is what it is...

Of the 10,098 340 1971 Demons only 998 had 3 speeds & mine is one. Has had a 4 speed conversion before I bought it though.

unspecified.jpg

-
Back