72 Demon at Barrett-Jackson

-
rarity and value in our old mopar hobby,, ...... ain't related!!!!! my 62 Lancer is rare, but ain't worth squat!!!!

BJ has caused more heartache for our old car hobby than anything!!!!!

rarity and value in our old mopar hobby,, ...... ain't related!!!!! my 62 Lancer is rare, but ain't worth squat!!!!

BJ has caused more heartache for our old car hobby than anything!!!!!
I agree with you on the value versus rarity thing, but you have to admit, we can get a lot more reproduction stuff these days like quality body panels for our cars versus the '80s and '90s when nothing was available.
I think that some good things have happened to the hobby since the prices have gone up on the older muscle cars etc.
The B/J thing is a double edged sword...........

I can see all of that in the one picture I posted. It's a small, somewhat low resolution picture which is why I hedged a little, but in that picture you can see the striped don't line up, don't have the same texture/shine, and the color is off from the doors forward compared to the quarters. Now, some of that could be the picture, but the way it all breaks down right on body lines and gaps I would say it's the car.

I pretty much grew up in a car restoration shop, and we did cars that went to concourses so you had to be able to spot that stuff. Color matching paint or even vinyl applied at different times is really difficult. Park it in the sun and even a small difference is easy to see.

71's came with twin scoops, '72's came with snorkels. And the Sizzler striping was NOT offered on the '71 340 cars, the point was to dress up the lower power cars. Sizzler's came with color coded grilles as well.

That '71 also doesn't have a 340 sticker on the side. So, something doesn't jive. Either it's a Sizzler that someone added the scoop and 340 to (and therefore not numbers), or it's a real 340 car someone added that hood to. Which might be the case because it doesn't have the color coded grille. But '71 340's didn't get Sizzler stripes or snorkel scoops. It's either a 340 car or a Sizzler, can't be both.
Not all Sizzlers came with the body colored grilles, just the high impact colors.
My dark green F7 one came with a standard grille for example.............

71dmonad.jpg

Not all Sizzlers came with the body colored grilles, just the high impact colors.
My dark green F7 one came with a standard grille for example.............

View attachment 1715037035

Oh I know, not even all the high impact colors had color coded grilles, just the light colors (no plum crazy for example). And even on those it was an option. A no-cost option, but still an option.

But since the car in question is the same color as the one in the ad it certainly could have had a color coded grille. And if it's a real 340 car the hood was added and it's not a Sizzler. If it was a Sizzler than the 340 and scoop were added.

Oh I know, not even all the high impact colors had color coded grilles, just the light colors (no plum crazy for example). And even on those it was an option. A no-cost option, but still an option.

But since the car in question is the same color as the one in the ad it certainly could have had a color coded grille. And if it's a real 340 car the hood was added and it's not a Sizzler. If it was a Sizzler than the 340 and scoop were added.
100% correct except for the colors of the grilles according to the ad in post #29.
It states there that the body colored grilles were available in Plum Crazy, Hemi Orange, and Citron Yellow.
However, i've only seen yellow and orange ones...........
Not trying to be a wise guy here, but doing research so i can get my car right!

100% correct except for the colors of the grilles according to the ad in post #29.
It states there that the body colored grilles were available in Plum Crazy, Hemi Orange, and Citron Yellow.
However, i've only seen yellow and orange ones...........
Not trying to be a wise guy here, but doing research so i can get my car right!

You got me, that ad does say Plum Crazy.:BangHead:

I was going to say I've never seen one, but then I found this. Obviously most of the car is not original, but you might be able to contact the old owner and find out if the grille was that color originally.

pict0010-jpg.155580

[SOLD] - 1971 Demon Sizzler Custom Street/Strip Car w/trailer

And then there's this, a '71 EL5 Sizzler that is probably the first one that comes up when you do search. Allegedly very original except for the Hemi drivetrain, but, there wouldn't be anything on the fender tag or build sheet to show it had the EL5 coded grille from the factory. This isn't the only one I've seen with an EL5 grille either.
1971 Dodge Demon - Hemi Sizzler - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Another in depth article on the same car. It mentions a re-paint by the original owner, but, nothing about the grille.
https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/m...Steak---1971-Dodge-Demon-Sizzler/3705561.html
mopp-1209-01-1971-dodge-demon-hemi-sizzler-.jpg

-
Back