72 Dodge dart gas gauge

-

mocar

Reaction score
I have the dash out ,gas gauge did not work why I drove the car last year is there anyway I can check the gage to see if it's not broke? much thanks

First let me say be carful with it.
They do not use a full 12v like other gauges and if you try to connect it to see if it works use 5v as that is what they run on due to the limiter on the back of the cluster.

Best thing to do first is check to make sure the sender in the tank is grounded with the little metal strap from the steel tube on the sender to the metal line that goes to the front.

Then pull the sender wire off of the sender and ground it to the body or some other place you are sure of getting a ground.
If things work you should now show Full on your gauge. (with the key on)
If nothing, then it is probably the wiring to it or the regulator on the back of the cluster or the gauge itself.

With the regulator connected in the back of the cluster you can find the pin that supplies power to the gauge and 12v can be used on that pin to test the gauge while it's out of the car.

If testing the regulator supply to the gauges you should see a 5v or so pulse on/off/on/off as this is how it regulates power to the gauge.

Any of the cluster metal housing should be a good ground.

I'm pretty sure the 12v supply pin I marked is the one, but one leg of the regulator is ground, the other is 5v out, and the center leg is 12v and goes over to one one of the pins.
Verify which one for sure before you connect 12v to it.

72cluster.jpg

1st bench test, Ohm meter should show approx' 20 ohms across the fuel gauge.

How's it going just checking to see if you still have a 1972 fuel gauge that's tested in works I'd be interested in one
Whitepunk is Uncle Tony BTW. Don't think he's active on site anymore. You might try a PM tho.

-
Back