72 duster Build progress

-
Busted *** again today!!!

got my trunk extension panel I made all up into place where I wanted it, welded it into the car.....painted it......then in yellow paint marked my initials and date just incase years down the road someone ever works on the car Ill get a little recognition LOL.

tack welded in place
IMG_20110522_132535.jpg

all welded in
IMG_20110522_134547.jpg

fresh coat of paint to keep it protected
IMG_20110522_143419.jpg

IMG_20110522_143434.jpg

IMG_20110522_143448.jpg

my markings I left....not exactly top notch writing lol but I was using a little touch up paint pen brush that was almost out of paint lol.
IMG_20110522_161848.jpg

THEN.....once I finished up all that....I popped spot weld holes in around the new patch panel.
then took out a sanding disc and got all of the coating off of the weld surface of the panel and on the car.

THEN...I started to hang the quarter panel patch in place.....at this point I was cussing and doing alot of staring at the car because with only one set of hands it is hard to hold the panel up at both ends,keep the replacement panel flush with the existing panel,maintain a even cap all the way around the panel,and try to weld it HAHAHA....soooooo I finally ask my wife to come give me a hand.... I had her hold one end,then I took the cut off discs I used to originally cut the panels and I slid it into the gap in a few spots between the 2 panels (that way it would go back to the exact same gap it had when I cut it). Then I stuck some magnets in a few spots to get the panel flush....did a little tweaking here and there....then laid down a couple tack welds to hold it in place once I was comfortable with where it was positioned.

IMG_20110522_170537.jpg

THEN I started working my way down the panel with tack welds...all the while pushing in or out on either of the panels to get them to meet flush.
I also took a paint stick and used it to push one panel in to make the two panels meet flush (when both panels touch the paint stick I knew that they were level with one another).

a few tacks in
IMG_20110522_175748.jpg

a few more
IMG_20110522_183604.jpg

and more
IMG_20110522_191001.jpg

all welded in
IMG_20110522_202832.jpg

IMG_20110522_211211.jpg

no warps in the panel (always a PLUS LOL)
IMG_20110522_211306.jpg

IMG_20110522_211320.jpg

was just getting ready to call it a night and figured I would try grinding down the weld some to see what I had to work with( not done....just did a quick grinding)......and luckily it looks like I will need to use little to no filler!
IMG_20110522_214515.jpg

IMG_20110522_214745.jpg

IMG_20110522_214827.jpg

sprayed primer down the body line to help bring my attention to any warping there may have been and all looks good!.
IMG_20110522_215604.jpg

well, thats what I did today.....still more left to do like grinding the weld down and putting my spot welds in around the wheel well and trunk extension but its getting closer.

should have the drivers side done soon! ( and it was the worse side....I did it first so the passenger side would feel like a walk in the park when I get to it LOL).

finish body work soon!....hoping to have all the metal work wrapped up in the next week or two, but heck...at the pace I may get it done a little ahead of schedule lol.

started grinding down the weld some more (the lumps/ridges you see under the primer is old paint and bondo and a few dings here and there in the factory panel.....will all be fixed and smooth soon enough)
IMG_20110523_180609.jpg

got the weld all ground down for the most part
IMG_20110523_184849.jpg

IMG_20110523_185556.jpg

IMG_20110523_185617.jpg

still have to plug weld inside the wheel well and trunk extension...but that wont take long once I get to it.

should only need a little swipe of filler on the weld seam to smooth it off .

once I get the metal work done I start perfecting the fit and finish.

holy cow, just noticed my thread has almost 31,000 views on it!

That's because you're doing amazing work at home. You've got talent but seem too modest to admit it. And we just can't wait to see what you're doing next. With the work that you've been doing, I'll bet you could be making some .... make that alot of extra $$$ working on other FABO members cars or even at a restoration shop. Think about it. This could be your calling.

Wylde1.

Wow! you are giving me the courage to do my panels myself. I will be following your thread and looking forward to the finished product.

This!, I have the same repair work to do on my 72. Dusterdude72 is making me reconsider farming the work out.
:thumrigh:

That's because you're doing amazing work at home. You've got talent but seem too modest to admit it. And we just can't wait to see what you're doing next. With the work that you've been doing, I'll bet you could be making some .... make that alot of extra $$$ working on other FABO members cars or even at a restoration shop. Think about it. This could be your calling.

Wylde1.

Thats flattering man, thanks for the compliment!

This!, I have the same repair work to do on my 72. Dusterdude72 is making me reconsider farming the work out.
:thumrigh:

Do it to.....If I spent my time giving into getting overwhelmed by what work I have ahead of me.....I would never leave the house LOL.

Awesome job on the quarter dude!! I have really enjoyed following this thread.. and Im glad to see im not the only one that 'marked' something for 'recognition' just in case someone gets in there later lmao...

Nice job on the quarter panel patch. I always enjoy seeing what you up to on your build.

thanks, stick around because there is lots left to do lol

Awesome job on the quarter dude!! I have really enjoyed following this thread.. and Im glad to see im not the only one that 'marked' something for 'recognition' just in case someone gets in there later lmao...

Thanks.....like I told you in our PM's, the idea partially came from your thread!

That is some nice welding. Your duster is coming along nicely.

Thanks!

been messing with it a few hours today and I got the wheel well plug welds done,got the trunk extension to lower quarter plug welds done, got all the welding at the back where the qurter and tail panel come together done.

still have to grind all the welds down.

I was starting to get burnt out on metal fab so I decided to take a break and switch it up so I lathered on some aircraft paint remover to the quarter and started on blading the old paint off and sanding the panel down to metal ( I am going to take the entire car down to metal prior to paint when I get to that point)......it will give me a better idea of all the numps and bruises the duster has that are hiding and I can smooth them all out and get the weld seam smoothed off and what not.

Illl post a few pictures later tonight.

still have to grind all the welds down
IMG_20110524_174039.jpg

took a break from metal fab for a bit so I could strip the paint off of the quarter and get a better idea of what I was looking at for smoothing things out....I had planned on stripping all the paint off the car anyhow.

there are a couple bumps and bruises here and there and a couple little dents I found hidden under the paint....nothing to horrible.

I have one small pin hole of rust where the quarter panel meets the rocker that I have to patch and I have one small patch I have to make on the front side of the wheel well where I see a few pin holes of rust....not a very big task so it should take long when I get to that point.

IMG_20110524_200815.jpg

IMG_20110524_192114.jpg

did I mention stripping paint sucks? lol

IMG_20110524_210036.jpg

then I busted out my file board to show any high and low spots in the metal.....I have a few little ripples around my weld but nothing major. a few other dings and low and highspots throughout the panel that I have to smooth out too.

IMG_20110524_211133.jpg

it was getting to late to run my sander so this is where I left off for the night.

IMG_20110524_213850.jpg

like I told you in our PM's, I was glad I could be part of the reason you marked the trunk floor extension.. its also a fun touch that only you will know about.. lol.. You got more done today than I did.. We didnt get too much done on the buggy tonight.. although we did find and fix a pretty major electrical problem.. It was basically a fire just waiting for a place to happen.. so I am glad its worked out.. Awesome work on your quarter! ..

like I told you in our PM's, I was glad I could be part of the reason you marked the trunk floor extension.. its also a fun touch that only you will know about.. lol.. You got more done today than I did.. We didnt get too much done on the buggy tonight.. although we did find and fix a pretty major electrical problem.. It was basically a fire just waiting for a place to happen.. so I am glad its worked out.. Awesome work on your quarter! ..

I didnt get as much done today as I would have liked to of......hell, Id liek the car to be done lol.

glad to hear you figured out your little electrical quirk!

I just want to hurry up and get my metal work done so I can look back and say "I sure am glad thats done and over with lol"

Man oh man you are very talented, the car is coming out quite well. Love the little signiture you left behind nice touch, can't wait to see more progress. Great Work!

Brad

I didnt get as much done today as I would have liked to of......hell, Id liek the car to be done lol.

glad to hear you figured out your little electrical quirk!

I just want to hurry up and get my metal work done so I can look back and say "I sure am glad thats done and over with lol"

It still seems like you got alot done to me.. LOL .. and yeah I am pretty happy we found and fixed my electrical issue.. it would've sucked big time to have done all this work, only to have the car catch fire.. and I can totally relate about just wanting the car to be done.. at this point I feel like the progress on the buggy is in slow motion.. sometimes it gets hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.. but I know we're gonna get there eventually...

Man oh man you are very talented, the car is coming out quite well. Love the little signiture you left behind nice touch, can't wait to see more progress. Great Work!

THANKS

Brad

It still seems like you got alot done to me.. LOL .. and yeah I am pretty happy we found and fixed my electrical issue.. it would've sucked big time to have done all this work, only to have the car catch fire.. and I can totally relate about just wanting the car to be done.. at this point I feel like the progress on the buggy is in slow motion.. sometimes it gets hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.. but I know we're gonna get there eventually...

yup I know that slow motion feeling lol.

doing it all by myself sucks the most....I don't have any friends that know how to do metal work or any body work.....or friends that could make time to help anyone but themself for that matter.
SO I do my best to plug away at it.....My goal is.....atleast I hope I can pull it off doing this all alone..... to have all the metal work and body work done and have it primed and on the road by august......that way I can still get a month or 2 worth of driving in before winter and then next spring all I should have to worry about doing is paint and stripes for the most part and enjoying driving it all summer!

I didnt really get anything done today, cold and rainy and I think I might be catching a cold (hope not). But I started to work on the quarter panel ...layed down a little short hair filler glass in a couple spots and went to sand it and my sander is a piece of crap so I decided to call it quites on the quarter for now ( going to pick up a electric D/A as soon as I can get some cash to do so.....my air compressor is to musch of a sissy to run an air sander).
IMG_20110525_151147.jpg

so I ended up screwing around installing my 69 valiant grille finally.

I have sat it in there before for pictures but never mounted it in place.

being that its from a different year and model car it had SOME SLIGHT differences but nothing I was not able to remedy.

I had to trim some metal a bit and I had to drill a couple mounting holes.....but its installed for the most part now.

IMG_20110525_185908.jpg

I would say for doing it all yourself, you are doing a fantastic job.. there is no way on earth I could do this all myself.. I am beyond grateful for the gang of friends that I have, and all the experience and knowledge they have... without them, my project would've gotten nowhere.. I will say though, that thanks to them, I know a hell of alot more about cars now than I ever did before in my life...

Most of my friends that do have any sort of vehicle knowledge are into mud trucks and off road rigs.....so my car is not in their interests lol.

most of my friends are only willing to help if there is something in it for them......no friends that I can con into work with just a 6 pack lol.

oh well, what can ya do

Most of my friends that do have any sort of vehicle knowledge are into mud trucks and off road rigs.....so my car is not in their interests lol.

most of my friends are only willing to help if there is something in it for them......no friends that I can con into work with just a 6 pack lol.

oh well, what can ya do

I hear ya dude.. if we lived close, I would most definitely be the kind of friend you could count on to help any way I could with the car (and I would consider the 6-pack a cool bonus LMAO) ..

sorry for not having much updates guys.....haven't done a hole lot.

I did pick up a new electric D/A sander though because for one my compressor is too weak to run an air D/A and 2....even if it had enough juice to run one I don't want to listen to my damn compressor running all the time LOL.

also picked up a box of sand paper from the local paint supply store and also picked up some new evercoat light weight filler because I am sick of bondo's sticky residue clogging up and wasting my sand paper.

I have the quarter pretty CLOSE to being smoothed out....got to do a quick swipe with some filler and do some final sanding on it.

but I will save that for later as I think I am going to install the other quarter panel first so I can get it done and out of the way and I can focus just on the body work.

I backed the duster out in the drive way and rinsed it off today and noticed I had a leak coming in from somewhere I I left a message with the guy who installed my windshield so i can see what he wants to do about that so I don't have a leak springing on my new interior.

the duster was running a little poor today for some reason, not sure if its the weather or if I picked up a little rust from my tank and its building up in my fuel filter or what the deal is but I took the duster in the road for a quick little burn out and when I pinned the gas it kind of bogged for a second before it started picking up rpm.....normally you punch the gas and it turns on RIGHT NOW.

oh well, little tweaking here and there nad checking things out I guess.

I just hate the feeling that things are going in reverse when I am trying to get the project moving forward....a little discouraging ....but atleast none of it is "major" so none of it should be to big of a deal.

Ill be starting on the other quarter panel this week some time so keep your eyes on the thread as I will be posting updates!

If I was home I would help you out. Hmm well I am almost done and its not like I can finish my car anytime soon. Come ON end of June tired of seeing the afghans!

Had some bad weather out this way and I was busy out and about....but I managed to spend a little time on the duster....long enough to try out the new filler,sander and paper in a couple spots...then sprayed a light coat of primer on it to see how it looked and to serve as a guide coat.

I should be able to tie everything in together pretty nicely....but I think for now I am going to stop with the body work and finish up my metal work and get it out of the way.

may start on it tomorrow even.

lays down much creamier and sands much easier and doesnt clog up my paper near as bad as the cheap crap I was using.
IMG_20110529_181527.jpg

right after a quick dust coat of primer

IMG_20110529_190707.jpg

-
Back