72 duster Build progress

-
Tempting lol. Kind of want to wait and bust it out as the finished product though.

Sorry for not having any updates this week guys, this last week has just plain sucked!

My wife got laid off, the oil pan on our jeep just rusted to the point it is seeping oil through the rust (truck itself is in great shape...its a 2000 ....but the pan is rusty). Our dryer broke and we got a $3,000.00 bill from when we had to take our little one into the emergency room a couple weeks ago ( they got the insurance messed up somehow).

anyhow....thats whats been new here.

HOWEVER, the last 2 days I have been busting *** getting the duster ready for the new windshield!

so I wire wheeled the glass channel,cleaned everything up,smoothed things off,sprayed down a rust converter (old gasket leaked and left some slight pitting in the metal in spots),then layed down primer , then installed all new trim clips (the screws came pre coated with a wax sealant but I covered them all in a trim and weather strip adhesive just to be safe).
And while I was waiting for paint to dry I decided to install my gauge pod (still have to hook the gauges up though and I need to get green bulb covers so they match the rest of my gauges and cd player).

check it out!

IMG_20110426_185653.jpg

IMG_20110426_185707.jpg

IMG_20110426_213723.jpg

IMG_20110426_213737.jpg

IMG_20110426_213748.jpg

IMG_20110427_164620.jpg

IMG_20110427_164640.jpg

IMG_20110427_193411.jpg

DSCI1761.jpg

DSCI1771.jpg

DSCI1760.jpg

Thanks!

next I am going to wire up my tach and bolt down my dash pad before the glass goes in.

once the glass is done I think I am going to start on installing the quarter panels and tail panel.

That air cleaner cover looks sweet.

Thanks, I still have to finish the valve covers to match it.....things have just been so hectic I haven't put much time into them besides a quick polish job on them.

HOW COOL IZ DAT, Sweet DusterDude keep up the Great work
Thanks, Im working on it....keep checking back because ill try to keep posting updates atleast once a week or so. once I start replacing body panels ill probably be updating every day lol

Forgot to take before pictures of the engine when it was assembled when i bought it before I started ripping it apart
DSCI0680.jpg

30 over pistons and all the pistons are at the same height because the crank was not in when the picture was taken (not some fancy new in sync piston rotation technology) LOL
DSCI0681-1.jpg

There she is sittin pretty in hemi orange
DSCI0689-1.jpg

Those pistons sure look like Ford Clevelands pistons with those valve reliefs...

windshield guy will be here in the morning.....once that is done I can start focusing on other areas of the duster!

I hooked up all my gauges and had to mount my dash pad down (which involved taking my gauge cluster out and dropping the steering column and removing cd player and all that mumbo jumbo) ,but its done and out of the way now.

while I was in there I decided to change my wiper pivot seals also.

I also started up on finishing my valve covers.....almost done, just got to let them dry over night before I can finish them up.

picture below of what they currently look like (not the finished product guys....just wait)

and I also took a quick little video of all my gauges in operation,lights,tach,temp,volts and oil. Sorry the audio/video quality isnt the best...I took the video on my phone.

IMG_20110502_215331.jpg

CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW FOR THE VIDEO

nice gauges, she sounds good.

I'm kinda surprised youre getting someone else to do the windshield... have you ever tried it yourself?

nice gauges, she sounds good.

I'm kinda surprised youre getting someone else to do the windshield... have you ever tried it yourself?

Id do it myself but the guy offered to good of a deal to pass up and it makes more sense yo spend $135.00 for new glass delivered and installes vs. Doing it myself and spending more than that for just the glass.

He is a well know glass installrr withhis own company and he is from my old neighborhood so I know him also.

Couldbt pass up the cheap deal and if it means getting the job done sooner so I can work on other stuff thanso be it lol

Sent from Android smart phone.

GLASS IS DONE!

My glass guy came over at 9 am and had the glass in and done in about an hour.

did great work and was fast and cheap.

used beutyl sealant on it also.

check it out!

IMG_20110503_102121.jpg

IMG_20110503_102131.jpg

IMG_20110503_102142.jpg

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats looks great and well done.
Brad

where did you get the front windshield seal. Today they are almost impossible to get.

I am wondering if that is going to stop my build when I get to that point.

where did you get the front windshield seal. Today they are almost impossible to get.

I am wondering if that is going to stop my build when I get to that point.

HA!

I searched and searched and searched and had NO luck finding one.

finally found one at yearone and after a month of waiting and still not getting it I called and they told me it was on back order with no known delivery date.

I ended up finding a fabo member that had one new in the package sitting around that he sold me for $50.00 shipped to my door ( awesome deal ).

rick@laysons here on fabo had a couple of them for around $110.00 but I think he just sold the last one to a member that I refered to him.

worth a shot to try though, otherwise good luck finding one!

wow that was a steal of a deal. I will be searching around but if you find one send them my way.

So I called Rick at Laysons and just my luck they sold the last one yesterday. Go figure.

I managed to get the last rear seal and it does look like they will have more in a few months and that will be just about the right time for me.

So thanks for telling me about Laysons I never heard of them and plan on using them now instead of the high shipping place know as Yearone.

Tinkered around in the garage a bit today.

finished the valve covers and air cleaner and installed them.

also in the pictures you can see how I ran my temperature sending unit line.....came out pretty neat if i do say so myself lol.

I still need to pick up some plug wire holders and adjust some of my rubber hoses and what not so its not so clustered looking...ill get to it one of these days.

also I sat in the duster for a second to relax and looked over at my door locks and though.....hmmmmmm....I really don't want to listen to my door lock rattle around inside that opening and I also don't want it to chip my paint over time.

so the idea to slip a rubber grommet in there popped into mind so I did just that and I think it looks great and serves a great purpose too! ( just figured I would mention it incase anyone else might want to do the same......picture below).

let me know what you think....P.S. sorry for the picture quality, I took them all with my phone.

oh and also, the holley valve covers I had on it are now for sale, aswell as the new chrome edelbrock air cleaner.

IMG_20110504_205845.jpg

IMG_20110504_205857.jpg

IMG_20110504_210359.jpg

IMG_20110504_210409.jpg

IMG_20110504_210647.jpg

IMG_20110504_211900.jpg

IMG_20110504_211825.jpg

IMG_20110504_210803.jpg

nice, i dig the new valve covers, been thinking of painting mine the same way.

nice, i dig the new valve covers, been thinking of painting mine the same way.

Thanks.

I like them, doing them this way makes for a nice custom touch that not many others do.

I have seen 2 or 3 other pairs done similar but not many.

As of today I am back to doing the body work on the duster.

I about have the tail panel removed.

Ill keep updates and pictures coming as I go.

-
Back