72 duster power steering help

-

Smittysduster

Reaction score
I'm restoring a 72 duster and ever since I bought it the power steering has pulled hard to the left as soon as I turn the ignition. When I say it pulls to the left it fully torques all the way over. I've been told I can adjust this, I'm just shady on what to adjust. Any help?

The valve on top of the steering box where the hoses attach slides it is held by 2 bolts...The engine must be off you dont have to move it much. Keep adjusting until the steering wheel doesnt move when started...Bill

Jack up the front of the car till front wheels are off the ground.. There's two bolts holding the fitting,,, that's on the top of the box, where hose goes on, they're 1/2.. just slightly loosen those bolts, and gently tap the fitting either backward, or forward, the wheels will tend to go one way or the other.. that will adjust your problem.. that's how to centre the "feedback".. you must have accidentally moved that fitting... grant

PS.. DANGER.. don't put your arm thru the wheel when starting it up, cuz it'll hurt when the wheel slams over.. better yet, have some-one hold the wheel at start-up..

The valve on top of the steering box where the hoses attach slides it is held by 2 bolts...The engine must be off you dont have to move it much. Keep adjusting until the steering wheel doesnt move when started...Bill

Jack up the front of the car till front wheels are off the ground.. There's two bolts holding the fitting,,, that's on the top of the box, where hose goes on, they're 1/2.. just slightly loosen those bolts, and gently tap the fitting either backward, or forward, the wheels will tend to go one way or the other.. that will adjust your problem.. that's how to centre the "feedback".. you must have accidentally moved that fitting... grant

PS.. DANGER.. don't put your arm thru the wheel when starting it up, cuz it'll hurt when the wheel slams over.. better yet, have some-one hold the wheel at start-up..

I appreciate it guys. I'll go do that and tell you how it ends up. Hopefully that fixes my problem!

-
Back