72 Scamp, starting the exhaust project...

-

7milesout

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So far, so good. The knowledge on here is remarkable. So, I thought I would get input on the exhaust before I start down the wrong path. So, let me explain the situation.

I was given a very nice Scamp. It has a 360 and 727, versus the original 318 and 904 (I think it was). It is running Chrysler 360 exhaust manifolds (which I actually have no problem with), but it has a couple of exhaust problems.

1) The left side muffler looks like an M80 went off inside and it's all blown up round, and it leaks. Sounds not great, but not completely horrible. But needs replacing either way.

2) The previous owner told me that just after he and I installed the engine (20 years ago), he attached to the exhaust manifold some pipe he had lying around ... just to get it to the muffler shop. One side of this pipe that he had lying around was smaller in diameter than the other side. But he didn't care, it was just supposed to get it to the muffler shop. Once he had the exhaust finished and later got the car home, he noticed that the muffler shop monkey simply welded onto the pipes he had meant to only be temporary. He was frustrated about it, but never fooled with it again.

Due to these 2 problems, I have decided to just "start over." Why not? I read some stuff about headers, and one dyno session was with a LA 360. So I figure that's as accurate as is needed for me. I'm not building a racecar. The Hooker shorty headers produced the 2nd highest hp and/or torque. And that's perfectly fine by me. All the headers tested were all pretty close anyway. And these shortys won't hang down too far. Anything is better than what I have currently, unbalanced and leaking.

Here's ideally what I would like to do. Install the Hooker Shorty headers, install a wideband (for subsequent carb tuning), but ... I would LOVE to bend my own exhaust, complete with an X-Pipe. The problem I'm running into, is that a) I have no bender, b) I have no experience bending pipe, and c) what I've read about buying mandrel pre-bent 45°s and 90°s as components, I might wind up with a jig-saw puzzle underneath.

Should I try to bend my own pipe? Should I just buy the pieces? Is there a better way?

7milesout

piecing mandrel pipe together is time consuming
I made my pipes coming off the manifolds, to save the expense of the exhaust shop doing it.
let them do the rest, including welding in the v-band clamps

024_zpsef6yrons.jpg

SAM_4209.JPG

SAM_4208.JPG

im lazy af when it comes to exhaust
i just let a shop do the whole thing from the manifold back
i tell them what muffler I want or have them recommend me one...

I did Turbo mufflers off the headers ... dump just beyond the differential ... Originally planned to do Purple Hornies ... Remember those? ... got the headers on ... collectors run right into the crossmember for the torsion bars if i remember right ... had to formulate a new plan involving the turbo mufflers ... OMG the EX would have freaked out if those Purple Hornies would have fit :rofl:

Hey, catching up here a bit. I'm down the road just a bit, but have not purchased as yet. But a quick question.

I'm wanting to build this system with all 3 inch exhaust. But anytime I email or call on the phone and mention that it is an LA 360, maybe 350 hp max, I keep getting the, "ohhhh, you don't want a 3", you need a 2.5" max, you'll loose back pressure and torque."

While I realize that I'm going to have less back pressure with a 3" system, I really don't think I'm going to loose much low rpm torque.

Am I wrong about that?

I'm not building the ultimate dragster, or roadracer. I'm not concerned about a loss of a few lb-ft. It just seems logical that since the header I am buying has a 3" collector, I should stick with 3" for the rest of the exhaust. Plus I think it will sound BOSS with all 3" exhaust.

You guys with experience, let me know if I'm on the right track, or if I'm smoking crack! :D

Thanks.

7milesout

Yes, spintech.

I used to have a video on photobucket, but photobucket sucks and for some reason doesn't want to show it.

Gamedog - Did you buy the exhaust as a "system?" Did it come with the X Pipe? Your set up is right on what I want to achieve. Did you have an exhaust shop put together the system? I have a million questions, but I'll let it go with these 3 ... for now. :D

Gamedog - Did you buy the exhaust as a "system?" Did it come with the X Pipe? Your set up is right on what I want to achieve. Did you have an exhaust shop put together the system? I have a million questions, but I'll let it go with these 3 ... for now. :D

Haha.

I bought the mufflers directly from Spintech and took it to a well respected muffler shop out here in San Diego. They fabbed it all up the way I wanted, with the X pipe and dumped angled out before the axle.

Edit: Looks like the video clip might be working now...

http://vid285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/DTG37S/20170322_161207_zpsr9as51n8.mp4

And another picture :

20170321_112913_zpsiqrgzdeb.jpg

20170322_161207_zpsr9as51n8.jpg

Last edited:
The Scamp has been in a very good local shop from Sunday. They started working on the exhaust on Monday. It's about done. It's getting:
  • TTi headers
  • Bungs for an AEM Wideband (already bought this and will install myself).
  • X-Pipe
  • Borla ProXS mufflers, and
  • Pencil Tips.
When he cut off the previous exhaust and sat it on the shop floor for a while, he came back and found a puddle of gas that had ran out the exhaust. So yes ... it is running rich.

Once I get it back, I will run it down the quarter mile again, to note the improvement. Then the carb tuning will commence.

It only mustered a 15.44 ET. Peg-Leg / open-diff isn't helping anything either. Looking forward to the sweet sounds once I get it back.

7milesout

Got the Scamp back at noon today. It sounds GREAT. It feels snappier / peppier. As to be expected.

Now the carburetion tuning begins. I've been reading the Edelbrock manual. The manual is very well written and it sounds like a cinch to adjust. I also purchased an AEM wideband and had bungs installed in the exhaust. So, I am going to try to get the wideband installed this weekend. It will make knowing which way to tune a breeze.

-
Back