72 Scamp... you know, looks like a Dart...

-
Clean build.
On your dash pad I ordered a repo replacment one from Classic and could on get only 3 of the nuts to start, the studs were 1/4" shorter than the originals.
Called Classic and they said "Yeah alot of people had a problem with that, the manufacture said to sand down the bottom side of the dash until it fits".

If your original dash is nice, I would clean it up and use a quality vynal paint on it.

Clean build.
On your dash pad I ordered a repo replacment one from Classic and could on get only 3 of the nuts to start, the studs were 1/4" shorter than the originals.
Called Classic and they said "Yeah alot of people had a problem with that, the manufacture said to sand down the bottom side of the dash until it fits".

If your original dash is nice, I would clean it up and use a quality vynal paint on it.

I think I've actually read that on a sellers website, "some sanding may be needed around mounting studs to fit...". Didn't know IKEA sold restoration parts.

The original pad is pretty good, but it's started to crack at the corners so I'm going to have the local vinyl repair guy look at it and see what he thinks.

As fer the vinyl paint, how does that stuff hold up over time? I wouldn't mind saving money on my door panels by recoloring them but I don't want to do them every year.

Stiiiiiiillllll waiting (patiently) for the car to come home from paint, but in the meantime;

Recolored the door panels. I figured $60 in materials was worth a shot before going $500 for new panels, and the originals were in pretty good shape except for some peeling on the chrome.
Original color
View attachment CAM00159.jpg

3 coats of SEM Vinyl paint
View attachment CAM00160.jpg

Then repaint the woodgrain with body color
View attachment CAM00164.jpg

Couple closer-ups
View attachment CAM00165.jpg

View attachment CAM00166.jpg
(that white fuzzy looking patch is just a towel between the two panels laying on top of each other)

I've also got my 360 (LA) and 727 out of their donor and sitting in my garage, ready for cleanup. Not going to do much to them, just new water/fuel pumps, MAYBE a cam/lifters if I can get a cheap set. Just going to install this to get it running, then I'll dig up a magnum 360 and build it up slowly.

Also got the heater box all reassembled, but it was missing some of the housing clips, so I'll have to order a set from DMT.

Dash pad is being professionally repaired and recolored as we speak, pics to follow when I get it back.

Door panels look nice.
I also used vynal paint on mine and they are holding up great.

Thanks, guys. It's fantastic when the sun hits it, a real sparkle to it.

I did manage to find some bucket seats a little while ago out of an early seventies Javelin (I was told). Clean, no rips or tears, complete with tracks.
View attachment seats.jpg

Man, resto would go a lot quicker if they could make paint dry quicker. Anyway, got the floors scrubbed and 'anti-rustificated' (those are my foot prints all over it from installing the headliner)View attachment floor_prep.jpg And the headliner in placeView attachment headliner_1.jpg View attachment headliner_2.jpg The surface of the headliner was scratched/damaged, so I tried painting it first, that didn't hide jack (or his brother shite). My wife suggested a textured paint of some sort. A trip to the hardware store later, and you can barely notice the most damaged spots. And the little white flecks add some interest, I think.

First I saw this thread. Wow that was a solid Scamp to start with. Jealous my '71 isn't like that. I guess my upside is the decent interior I have (other than a mouse chewed up the headliner now, little bastards).

And I was amazed at how easily this car came apart. I didn't run into a single siezed or broken bolt. The only pain in the *** was getting the rear window regulators out (the wife heard my cursing at the other end of the house). All the trim came off cleanly. It's actually been alot of fun so far.:thumblef:

Yeah once you get into it, you realize what good cars they really are. They were built in a different era. easy to work on, though I guess mechanics back then still complained...

Rear quarter windows back in!!! I was not looking forward to these, they were such a hassle to get out. But once I separated the glass from the 'bracket', it went pretty well. I replaced all the rollers on the regulators, cleaned and lubed all the channels and mechanisms. Didn't even draw any blood putting everything back in! View attachment LeftQuarterGlass.jpg View attachment RightQuarterGlass.jpg I made damn sure to protect my new paint while sliding these parts into place. Layer of masking tape with a layer of duct tape over that. Even managed to keep the bee stickers intact.:finga:

Just read this from the start, that's coming along nicely! And I'll put another vote in for the wing. Mopars need two things, hood scoops and wings.

Just read this from the start, that's coming along nicely! And I'll put another vote in for the wing. Mopars need two things, hood scoops and wings.

Thanks. I do like the earlier suggestion to get a second trunk lid and put a wing on that.

I may be biased.. A SCAMP!! YES! :D ..and you're doing what I failed to get done on my last project (car wasn't straight blah blah.. and other stooopid ****) - silver and black - color me jealous 'cause I am green with envy!! Nice job! Are you by any chance doing it "340" clone style?

-
Back