72 Scamp... you know, looks like a Dart...

-
Great solid car to start with. I really liked the appearance and color combo of the first few pics but fully understand where you're going with the new colors.
Also fully agree on prior comments about no wing. I've never liked them on the Darts and Scamps. I've got a long-term '69 Dart project in the works and it will never see a wing - just don't look right.
Keep up with the pics during the build. Looking good!

Great solid car to start with. I really liked the appearance and color combo of the first few pics but fully understand where you're going with the new colors.
Also fully agree on prior comments about no wing. I've never liked them on the Darts and Scamps. I've got a long-term '69 Dart project in the works and it will never see a wing - just don't look right.
Keep up with the pics during the build. Looking good!

I'm agreeing with the concensus on the wing. I did some googling on them and you guys are right, they just don't fit the body lines. Now, a Daytona wing maybe....

Stripping all finished, now covered with epoxy to protect bare metal while in the shop...
View attachment epoxy1.jpg

View attachment epoxy4.jpg

Kinda panicked a bit when I first saw it, thought it was in primer already and that the paint was next. I'm 99.9% sure on the color I've chosen (Mazda Aluminum Metallic) but it's just..... so many colors.... gotta pick just one.... gawd, getting married was easier! The other choice was metallic green (another Mazda color, oddly enough). Then I saw a thread on here where another member was trying to decide between silver or green. Ironic. But then there's B5 blue...

arg.

I agree with your wife..ick. It is a retired person's colour.. I think you have to be at least 70 to own a car that colour..so is fawn..the colour of our car..

Aluminum Metallic sounds sweat..pls post "after" pics..

That's the coolest stump around! Thank you sir, I'll try to keep going but school is slowing me down.

Very solid car to start with. Replace the wiper seals for that floor pan issue on the passenger side. Did not see where anyone gave you feedback there. Love the 72. Agree on the spoiler. A stripe might be a better choice in my opinion if you are going with scoop and vinyl top. I went with mopar billet silver on my 74...still in paint. Good luck and have fun.

Looking good its progressing nicely. Btw who is doing the body and paint? Plus if you don't mind letting me know their pricing as I have to redo my new paint job, as it was done about as poorly as can be done.

Well, I work at a dealership (GM) and we have our own bodyshop so I'm getting it dine there. Sorry I can't give pricing info as I'm getting a staff rate.

I've also started on the dash at home. I'm stripping it down to change the color, and clean up/detail as much as I can as far as the instrument panel and such. Then primer and black paint for the frame.
Got some surface rust here and there...
View attachment dashrust1.jpg

View attachment dashrust2.jpg

View attachment dashrust4.jpg

The dash pad is in pretty good shape, just a couple small cracks and the wrong color. I'm going to see if the local vinyl repair guy can do anything with it.

wow! very nice car , surprising how much rot there was under that top!,

And it wasn't the original top either. Someone replaced the vinyl at some point. I could see some filler underneath (along the top of the roof skin) that didn't look factory.

Looks like most of the panels are done, and some of the inners and roof have been sprayed with color
View attachment pre-assemble1.jpg

View attachment pre-assemble2.jpg

I had a rattle can of the body color made up for the dash. The panels are just laid in there for the pics.
View attachment newdash1.jpg

View attachment newdash2 (1).jpg

Doesn't look too bad, I think. The instrument cluster lenses are pretty scratched up, primarily the speedo, from years of being cleaned improperly. I'm hoping there's a way to polish them and reduce their appearance somewhat. Possibly these head-light cleaning kits that remove the fogging? Anyone with solutions, by all means, chime in.

I've heard of way you can clean lenses with tooth paste but I've never tried it. I really like what you did with dash!

I've heard of way you can clean lenses with tooth paste but I've never tried it. I really like what you did with dash!

Thanks! The woodgrain just seems to scream '70s basement wood panelling to me. I've always liked the silver/chrome dash treatments from the '60s.

I'm tempted to get a donor dash from a wrecking yard (from some old Ford or something) to practice cleaning methods. Don't want to make things worse than they are.

Thanks! The woodgrain just seems to scream '70s basement wood panelling to me. I've always liked the silver/chrome dash treatments from the '60s.

I'm tempted to get a donor dash from a wrecking yard (from some old Ford or something) to practice cleaning methods. Don't want to make things worse than they are.

Im thinking about doing that now, my paints chipped off the wood grain. Thanks for the idea!

Thats what I would try, maybe use the ole google webs and find something

-
Back