72 Scamp

-

72Scamp318

Reaction score
I'm buying a 72 B5 Scamp that's been sitting for awhile. One of lifelong friends bought it in 2005, did a bunch of work to it, but it's been sitting since 2011. Talked him into selling it to me. Put in a new fuel tank, ran some new fuel line. Rebuilding the carb right now. Told him I wouldn't buy a non-running car lol.

He ran out of gas halfway through paint prep, so I'm planning on picking up where he left off. Then doing the Interior. Then doing the Engine. I know that's not quite the ideal order, but based on real life and risk management, that's the best order for me. Paint and interior seem pretty A to B, but the engine does not seem straight forward.

It's got a 318 out of 76 cop car. Stock low compression. Cam is 210, 268/272, 228/[email protected], .450/.455. It's got headers, glass packs, side exit exhaust. IIRC, car ran a 15 at 94mph with a half full water bed in the trunk back in 2010. Probably 225 hp or so.

He rebuilt the tranny back when Bush was President. I don't know much about it, but I borrowed the car for a week in 2009, and the shifts were pretty snappy.

Has some dog dish wheels with low profile tires. Rides about 3 inches off the ground in the front. It's got an open 3.55 from that 76' cop car, but with the 205/50/R15 tires, it spins like it has 4.10's.

He also put in some front disc brakes out of 77' B body. KYB's all around.

He thinks I should get rid of the streetmaster intake and replace the old valve springs. Paint it 1970 B5 blue. Do the interior. And cruise it.

He is pretty enthusiastic about the stock valve train on the 318; he says the design is real good. I come from the Pontiac world, so I don't know much about Mopars. We both agree that lots of lift is asking for trouble.

But I was thinking about doing a little more than a new intake and springs. I looked up some hot rod articles, lurked the forums. I just cannot stand the sound of a low compression engine. The engines I've had have all been about 9.5 to 1, and that sounds healthy.

I want to get Performer RPM Heads and an Air Gap intake; I'm tired of fiddling with 50 million year old heads. And dagummit I've wanted aluminum heads for the last 12 years, and by God, I'm gonna get'em. But no matter what, the cam in there needs more compression.

Can I get to 9.5 or 10 to 1 on a 318 with zero deck, 64 cc heads and KB167?
Or will KB 399 pistons at zero deck play well with Edelbrock heads?
Or is zero decking a flat top only thing?
Is there a forged option for 318s in 2019?

*Oregon, 91 or 92 octane

According to Desktop Dyno, this combo should be somewhere around 380ish hp, and that would be enough to get me through the next decade. Not looking for ET's here. Just burnouts. I will beat this motor like a dirty dog.

20190202_110559.jpg

no , doesn't matter , no , yes (Speed-Pro #L2329F+30) comp ratio is 8.24-8.92 depending on thickness of head gasket .

-
Back