72 slant 6 plymouth duster will not stay running

-

Businessman

Reaction score
I just recently started restoring a 225 slant 6 dodge plymouth duster . Just replaced the exshault manifold and fuel tank...but once i got it to turn over it will not stay running i can open the choke all the way and it will run longer..but Im out of thoughts of what could be causing this

Has it been sitting long? the carb could be all gummed up, or the fuel pump too.

How long did it actually stay running with the choke and before with the choke not open?

Has this car not been running in a while or a long time?

if it has points check the condenser i had the same problem it would start then die out, and also check the ballest resistor it can also cause that problem. common things that go bad can can cause this problem and there no that expensive to replace

All of these guys are right if it's the ballast resister the motor will run whilst holding the key in the start position. Then cut out when you let the key go. That's because to start you get an extra boost with full voltage to the coil.
Another thing to check is the strainer in the tank blocked up this happens if the tank had fuel in it and slowly dries out. That can leave a dry film over the fine mesh. It could even be a split diaphram in the fuel pump. That you need to fix as it will result in bearing corrosion.
Or a simple blockage in the carby.
If you have put on a fuel filter or pushed a rubber hose onto a metal fuel line someware check that as a piece of rubber can get sliced by the metal tube and the tounge of rubber can block the line. I hope this helps.

My guess it's a fuel pressure problem as the choke is creating a vacuum sucking up the fuel instead of the pump pressurising and feeding the carby.
Another trick you can try.
1/ take off fuel cap
2/ disconnect rubber hose from fuel line running to carb at tank.
3/ put air gun to hose and blow air into tank.
You should here bubbling in the tank. If so its not the strainer.
4/ if it is the strainer will go thump as its blown of the end of the pick up that will fix the problem.
5/ pull out the tank and fish out strainer to clean and put back on or leave it in the tank an get another strainer it won't hirt anything laying in the tank.

-
Back