72 "SOAL Demon"

-

gdrill

I AM
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess I should get a thread going to document my project. It is a 1972, 318 - auto Hemi Orange Demon. It has buckets and console. I have a /6 car for parts and will be doing all the work myself, with a little help from my friends! The other day a fellow member was over for a couple cool ones. I was complaining about the under coating on the 6 car, because the splash gaurd bolts were a buggar to get off. He asked me if the other was under coated as good, and in my mind I thought, 'Don't you mean bad'! Well Dartnut, I'm happy to say it was done just as good! Hemi orange everywhere I scraped! :cheers:
IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

So whats the plan for the build? Looks like it has taken a hit in the front on the lower radiator support.

Well I'm probably not going to go too far in the power aspect. Haven't decided whether I'll go with another 318 and just make a nice driver or stroke a 360 and have a little more fun. Gotta see if the engine is original or not, if so in the corner it goes.
Got two 904's so I'll probably rebuild one and use it. I've read many threads with lots supporting the 904 and lots saying it won't take huge HP, which I'm not doing. Rear diff will more than likely be a Ford 8.8. I already put one in a 53 IHC pickup so I'm familiar with the workings involved. Lots of time to think about that stuff as I do the body.
The front has been smacked lightly and I was thinking of getting Badart's custom pieces to replace and strengthen the front end. I have the scoop and will have to find a spoiler as it didn't come with it. It will more than likely retain Hemi Orange for it's color with a black hood, maybe black trunk lid, and black side stripes of some kind. I will do something to make it different as I'm not restoring to original so the stripes will more than likely be of my own design. I'm not sure about re-ragging the top, but I like the look of vinyl tops, so I'm considering that as well.
Suspension wise....well the Alterkation looks awesome and triangulated four link would finish it off nicely. I guess I'll just have to see if I can justify the cost in my own mind for those though.
Who knows, once you get going lots of ideas change, so maybe it will have a Hemi and be Plum Crazy Purple when I'm done! :cheers:

Cool project :) isnt chiseling the undercoat so much fun :banghead: mine looked the same lol, take lots of pics please as i will be following along :happy1:

Cool project :) isnt chiseling the undercoat so much fun :banghead: mine looked the same lol, take lots of pics please as i will be following along :happy1:
I have been watching you! Motivator. Actually I started chiseling, but started tapping it with the edge of a ball peen and it broke off in large sections in most places. It did it's job by protecting the metal, but was never meant to adhere to well!! Thank God for that.

I have been watching you! Motivator. Actually I started chiseling, but started tapping it with the edge of a ball peen and it broke off in large sections in most places. It did it's job by protecting the metal, but was never meant to adhere to well!! Thank God for that.
You have been watching me eh?? sounds like stalker talk to me lol..just messing with yah.. one thing i found that worked great was my battery powerd black & decker chisel..saved alot of time :p oh and if you want my 2 cents on the color..definitly leave it EV2!

A good start to an awesome project!
Nice to meet you George and hope to see the finished project someday!
Dave

Yeah Thanx Dave. It looks like it won't really take me too long to get it on the road. A friend here has all the parts I may be missing. My only problem is two weeks on two weeks off. That puts a slow down on progress, but the two off turn out very productive. I'm sure you will see it once I'm done. You better get on yours too! Gonna be sweet. :cheers:

Well today I was inspired by another member's thread. So I went out and started preparing to remove the engine and transmission. I removed the rad, brake booster and disconnected all the wiring. Once it was opened up I looked at the engine marking and it said 318 72, cool. Then I started to work on the suspension, transmission and drive shaft. Tomorrow I should be able to lower the K frame with the engine and tranny onto a roller and raise the car above it. Never took a motor out like this before, but I think I like it! :D Oh and I'm not the best photographer........

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

And here's a few more shots to show the general condition of the interior. I have a couple dashes to choose from to replace this cut one.

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

I am thinking this deck lid came with a spoiler originally....:-D

IMG_0372.jpg

Today I dropped the engine and transmission out of the SOAL Demon. It was actually very easy and I think way easier than pulling it out the top. I found the engine to be non numbers matching, oh well, really doesn't surprise me. It wasn't going to go back in anyway. Now begins the repairs of the engine compartment. It isn't too bad but there is some rust and some frame work to be done.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

looking good, i probly should have pulled my motor out that way too cause i had a serious case of red face doing it the other way..caught up on everything on the way out lol. Keep it up :supz:

Yes I believe that is the easiest way to pull the motor. Now tonight I removed the roof skin from my parts car. The one I'm building had a sunroof in it, but when I pulled it home I didn't look to see that it was attached. Well it was just sitting in the hole and at 60mph, it went flying 30' in the air and exploded on the highway! Fortunately nobody was behind me! :eek:ops: Oh well it's losing a little of the 70's touch!

Had to take a break from the Demon and continue a little bit of shop construction. My carpentry skills are not the best, to say the least, but it's coming along. Gotta get it done so I can work on the car!

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

Good to see you're off and running.

Thanks for the pics of the hood latch. Looks like I found the parts 1/2 hr north of here for $15.00 :D

I'm picking up a 5.9 Magnum from a rolled truck in central Washington tomorrow.

You'll likely be way ahead since I don't get a lot of time so you can show me how it's done!

Nice shop and work bench area. Must cost a bit to heat it where you're at.

[/quote]Yeah buddy, looking forward to updates. shop looks sweet to.[/quote]
[/quote]Nice shop and work bench area. Must cost a bit to heat it where you're at.[/quote]

Thanx guys. Actually I don't know about the heat yet as I'm in the process of getting the in floor heating rigged up right now. Plumbing is all hooked up just got the wiring to go now. Unfortunately I probably wont know till next year, because by the time I get it running it will be spring! :D

Nice shop
For the top of the work bench add some plywood and cover it with some lanolium left over from your local flooring shop.
The surface will be smooth and oil and grease will wipe up easy.

In floor heat is so nice. I installed it in my house, 3 levels including the basement. Did the main floor in tile - not cold on the feet. Big job but worth it.

Got the 5.9 home. Came with a bonus, the guy he was selling the wiring and computer to didn't come around so he threw it in. I should be able to sell it.

Roads were nasty, many cars in the ditch and lots of snow-blowing to do when I got home.

Glad you made it home safely. Must be a storm system that's pretty big. Hit here last night and today. Blowing snow but not a whole lot of it. Just cold, maybe winter is finally here!

Hi Soal Demon,

Nice start to the build. I have one similar to yours, was a 340 original but that is long gone. I have a 440 and a 400 I may stroke, not sure yet. I have lots of time to think about it as my body needs lots of sheet metal. It helps that I'm a welder and I can do most of the work myself. I just got my 5hp compressor hooked up and can now start tearing the suspension out. I need to get a thread going on mine as soon as I get some time to figure the pics out. I'm working as a pressure welder in Fort Sask and working 6-10's from now till June. Between that and the family I'm only planning on 8 hrs/week into the car for a while. It will be slow but allow time for research and following others builds.

I'll definitely be following your build. Good luck and check out MoparDemons build and 76OrangeWagon's 73' Duster if you haven't already. Those guys definitely gave me some direction and have done a great job documenting their progress.

Cheers from another Albertan with a Hemi-Orange Demon,

Joe
My pics R here: https://picasaweb.google.com/110431076004609395481/20120129?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKihpWGmuaRhAE#

Good start on the Demon! With a 2/2 schedule you should be getting alot done quickly, assuming the wife lets you if youre married...lol. What kind of time frame are you hoping to finish in? Painting Hemi Orange again I hope? And your shop is killer by the way, I'm hoping to build something similar in a couple years.

Cheers
Rod

Hi Soal Demon,

Nice start to the build. I have one similar to yours, was a 340 original but that is long gone. I have a 440 and a 400 I may stroke, not sure yet. I have lots of time to think about it as my body needs lots of sheet metal. It helps that I'm a welder and I can do most of the work myself. I just got my 5hp compressor hooked up and can now start tearing the suspension out. I need to get a thread going on mine as soon as I get some time to figure the pics out. I'm working as a pressure welder in Fort Sask and working 6-10's from now till June. Between that and the family I'm only planning on 8 hrs/week into the car for a while. It will be slow but allow time for research and following others builds.
I'll definitely be following your build. Good luck and check out MoparDemons build and 76OrangeWagon's 73' Duster if you haven't already. Those guys definitely gave me some direction and have done a great job documenting their progress.
Cheers from another Albertan with a Hemi-Orange Demon,
Joe
My pics R here: https://picasaweb.google.com/110431076004609395481/20120129?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKihpWGmuaRhAE#

Thanx Joe. I have seen your Demon. Nice find, with nice options. For your pics, just use photobucket, it's really easy. Your right about those threads, among others, it sure is helpful being able to learn from other's experience. Take care up there! :hello2:

Good start on the Demon! With a 2/2 schedule you should be getting alot done quickly, assuming the wife lets you if youre married...lol. What kind of time frame are you hoping to finish in? Painting Hemi Orange again I hope? And your shop is killer by the way, I'm hoping to build something similar in a couple years.
Cheers
Rod

Hey Rod, thanx bud, yes 2/2 is awesome. Yes I have a wife and yes she lets me ( or is it makes me? ) spend time in my shop! I am really hoping to get it done in about one year, barring any unforeseen circumstances. Ya I think I will stay Hemi Orange too. :D

-
Back