72 Swinger Resto

-

amzchad

Reaction score
I will go back and fourth about selling this but in all reality I really need a driver. So i am gonna do what I can with this car and make it a quick and fun little driver. Ive had it for a while but progress on the car has been really slow due to the money issue. Its gonna be a slow build but y not make a thread.

The car is a 72 swinger with a 318 4bbl, 8 3/4, 3:23 sure grip, AC/heater, power steering, power kelly hayes disc brakes, front and rear sway bars, kyb gas adjust shocks, Great interior, 55,000 original miles, msd, K and N, dual exhaust

The bad
Rust on the quarters, drivers side rocker panel, under vynal top, trunk extentions, trunk support and under the rear window is patch panels, then your bubbles here and there. The dual exhaust setup is crap. I REALLY NEED A BLOWER MOTOR (i drive this car every day and am yet to experience the heater or ac) its getting to were i see my breath in my car and my snots freezing lmao. One wiper works. Sap all over the paint. Leaks from the rear and the oil pan.

When i bought the car it really needed a tune up and a cleaning. Someone had tried to drill a hole in the body plug in the trunk and went threw the trunk of the car also. So i got about ten miles from were i bought the car and had to get it towed to my cousins house due to the car no longer running. We checked it out and thats when we discovered what had happend. I went ahead and did an oil change, cap, rotor, wires, and the norm there. Also noticed a broken motor mount. I then picked it up the following weekend and drove it home (200+ miles)with no troubles.

I got home and i ripped the crappy alarm system out along with the electronic rust buster. I also took the bumper guards off. I cleaned it, vacumed it and put a coat of wax on it.

Since that day I have been very low on money and I havent got much done. I have added the exhaust tips. K and N air filter assembly. Took all the emmisions stuff out. Fixed the motor mount And put lots of wax on it slowly taking the sap off. Ooo i have also melted my tires haha OOPS:dontknow:.

I have alot of stuff i wanna do to including rust repair, paint, blower motor, two working wipers, 302 heads, air gap intake, holley 650, mopar performance cam, double roller timing chain, electric fans, headers following electric cutouts and some flowmasters, bucket seats, custom consle, stereo, bumble bee stripe, 70 grill, black interior, mustang bullet wheels, spring relocation, 73+up front disc, twin hood scoops, and anywere else my mind takes me

3mf3o63p6ZZZZZZZZZ96q184fcc39db8b1c86.jpg

3n63m23odZZZZZZZZZ96q542fb169b6861a2c.jpg

3nd3o93p5ZZZZZZZZZ96q5632084e8726190b.jpg

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1329.jpg

DSCN1331.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1297.jpg

sfgfDSCN1301.jpg

This coming up week I am pulling the engine out and painting the engine compartment and engine. Also replacing the oil pan gasket. I will post pictures as I go.

3 days till i pull the engine

Got hemi oarnge paint for the engine and low gloss black for the engine compartment

Good luck on your dart, that car is a keeper, i know you were thinking of flipping it, but with it being so clean, it would be wize to hang onto it for awhile & have fun building it, if you need any tips on the magnum install give me a shout, i'm just about to fire off my 71 dart with the 360 magnum i installed, centerlines would look cool on it, my personal faverate ones are the Convo Pros, i wish they made them in the SBP.

Sounds like an easy project you got there.
Please don't paint the engine compartment black. They don't look good on mopars. :-?
Just my 2 cents.
good luck.

I,ll second that comment on...please don,t paint the engine compartment black!Chad your car is a low mileage car(with a couple leaks)once you get the motor out,a good cleaning(and maybe a waxing)will lift the dirt and grime and bring the original colour back.Black engine compartment=Chebby.My 2 cents.:glasses7:

well the reason i am planning on painting it black is that in hopefully the near future i will be painting the whole car black

I'm glad to see your keeping the car, been watching you flip flop all over the place on wether to keep it or sell it. You would be hard pressed to find another in that nice of shape.

As far as the black underhood ......"naw"...... for now. Sounds like you have future upgrades in mind, maybe even another engine later on, life has a way of taking different turns. Chances are, quit a bit of time may pass before time and $$$$ allow for that black paint job. I would as stated previously put some effort into cleaning the original bay. Besides if you decide to sell again, it would be more marketable with a body color bay.

Your car, your decision.
Roger

I see 302 heads in your plans. The first thing you should do is decide how much power you want from the motor. Then you see how much money you have and build a realistic motor.

I think the unported 302's are good for 350-360 h.p tops. Magnums will step it up some,should be good for 400 without porting and 450 with..

Stock rods are fine if resized. Stock cast pistons are O.K too,just keep the rpm under 6500. You'll never hurt the crank at these power levels.

I am buying a set of stock rebuilt 302 heads. New set of headers and a holley 650. Along with that I want to get an air gap intake

YAY ITS OUT Well now i can say i have pulled an engine out on an abody. Its out and tommarow i sand and paint the engine compartment.

its very dirty in there

im flinstoning the car now i dont need an engine haha

DSCN1437.jpg

DSCN1438.jpg

btw i didnt make the carb lifting plate it was laying around in the schools shop

Just a word of advice. Take that grille out and put in the trunk till you get it all back together. Someone will try to push the car and break the grille. Also put the hood up against a wall in the shop or bolt it back on.

And the engine compartment really doesn't look to bad. I would just clean it up and save the money on the paint for now. My $.02

i will take a better picture there is a ton of surface rust firewall isnt bad but the rest is

Forgot to say my hand went threw the wire wheel the other day and its slowing me down a bit haha

Forgot to say my hand went threw the wire wheel the other day and its slowing me down a bit haha

Yeah, be careful when useing power tools, allways use gloves & goggles & possible a long sleeve shirt, especially if you use a die grinder, have you ever seen one of those disc. explode, just stay safe, i don't blame you for wanting to paint the engine compartment, i'm sure theres alot of surface rust, especially on the DS, i've seen a few done up nicely in black, its not all bad, even nicer with a pretty Hemi orange engine, but those are my 2 favorite colors when paired together.

Looking good man, i wish i was to that point, ive been wanting to paint my nasty enigne compartment also! Looks like you have a real solid car there, goo luck on whatever color you decide!

the 318 leak oil? looks like it has a bad valve cover gasket or head gasket? looks good your car almost looks like mine motorless except yours is in better shape lol. why did you pull it? why ya wanna do a resto on it? looks like the car rolled off the show room floor on the body and interior. anyways good luck

If you're going to change the colour to black, then paint the engine bay GLOSS black. You want it just as shiny as the body will be. It will look much better imho. What colour for the interior? If you change that to black too, keep the a/c. You will need it in a triple black car. Most people yank and toss the a/c. I'd keep it.

Wylde1.

A/C is out and it is sold. I will be getting my heater as soon as i recieve the money.

I also picked up a valve cover gasket and will be doing head gaskets hear really soon

I was tryin to rush this but i am going to take my time and do this all the right way

my rear main seal is done as of today and the pan is ready to go back on

-
Back