72 swinger special

-

Maxwel Nicoll

Reaction score
To begin, it was my Dad's project but then I got it part way through. It is a slant six with all 9" drums, power steering but manual brakes, and no a/c. It was complete but looked like it was never taken care of. We bought a new engine, a PST front kit, and tore most of it apart.
Now it has been over five years and it is getting together. Now I'm Finishing the suspension and painting as much as I can. I'm wondering about dropping the drivetrain easily and cleaning the underside- decades of road grime and cobwebs. Everything will be stock at first with the nice upgrades later down the road. Pictures coming soon.

Summer's in force, and work is rampant. Haven't done much more than move things around, but I did take pics.
I've been cleaning an painting little things and came to the conclusion that I have to clean the body. A perfect engine looks like c#@& in a filthy car. Besides, the rust must go

Attachments

• SSPX0021.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 402
  • SSPX0022.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 447
Definitely a good project you got going. Yes that engine looks way to be good surrounded by all that dirt and crud. I would go ahead and pull the engine and paint the engine bay. But please don't paint it black.

So, when it isn't cooking outside and I'm not working, I got farther on the car.
Got the gas tank, exhaust, both manifolds and all the little stuff off the car to take to a shop. I have two carbs and manifold sets, so I still need to find out if they are good and which ones I want to use.
I found all the parts to the front suspension and will finish that real soon. Right now I'm waiting on the torsion boots to come in.
I want to do more painting, but either the heat, humidity or my own lack of skill makes for awful paint jobs. I gave up on that for now.
Pictures coming soon.

Here's an update- not much done. But the front suspension is finished, I found the torsion bar clips and Pitman nut while I was sweeping.

In the next week or two I should be finishing the gas tank, manifolds, exhaust and carb. Also a new brake kit, and other little things.

What's a good catalog for little things for my car? Side marker lights, headliner, fasteners, stuff like that.

Attachments

• IMG_20110924_103653.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20110924_103639.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20110930_150702.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_20110930_150755.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 338
I'm also taking it out to get cleaned and painted, or at least sealed so it won't rust more.

Yearone.com mostly has anything that you are thinking. A little hard going through their search engine though. try clicking on there online catalog and select the Mopar Catalog and the rest should be easy from there :D

Nice Slant by the way

That's a dead ringer for my 1972 Dart !

Mine was also EV2 Hemi Orange / white bench interior / V1W top ; but mine was also a 318/904 with power disc brakes .

Please tell me that you're keeping those original-issue blue/yellow plates !
If you need to respary 'em , use :
- Krylon Blue
- School Bus Yellow
- Semi-Gloss clear

Thanks for the compliments, and I am going to keep those plates. Thakns again for the colors, I can't do colors for the life of me. I'm getting a chunk of money to finish the car but I have to get it done faster and within that price range. So here's more questions.

Is it worth it to get junkyard seatbelts instead of the $50 each? Is installing them similar to the aftermarket ones. I want better seat belts. And yearone's vinyl is 200, can I get it for less and keep quality- and is year one quality or is it cheap?

The radiator was good, but it sat outside for a few years. Is there a way to clean it out?

And should I rebuild my carb myself? I'm pretty mechanical but I've never done carbs. This is my first carbed engine I've ever done. The shop I'm getting some work done charges 250 and that's a little hard on me.

And finally, I need a choke because I have three different parts to three different chokes. I either need a cup that fits, an old junkyard one, or switch to electric. I want electric but I'd rather get it running without juryrigging or duct tape. Can I find a junkyard one? I don't really want to mess with the wiring yet- I just want to test it and leave it.

-I have a pair of Mark XV 3-point seat belts in my '72 Coronet , and I'm very pleased with them .
The best part is that they mount-up via the original 2-piece uncomfortable o.e.m. belts' mounting anchors .

-Clean the radiator with White Vinegar , straight strength .

-Carburettors are super easy to rebuild ; and the less parts , the easier .
I can rebuild a Carter BBD in my sleep , and I'd imagine that a Holley 1bbl would be just as easy .

-"Automatic" chokes work fine , so long as the heat crossover isn't clogged with carbon .
I'm not sure how to convert a /6 to an electric choke arrangement .

how do I get the cobwebs and dead spiders out of the inside of the radiator? I think I need to do more than just flush it. I will use the vinegar though.

Ok, I figured out about the radiator, it's at the shop with the gas tank. It needed a little work and the cleaning they do should get everything out of it. And, I'll have a nice gas tank too.
I took the manifolds to the shop and the exhaust was cracked. So when I get another one I'm going to make sure the choke is on it and good.

So, I have a bunch of hi temp paint and I was using it to paint some of the stuff under the car. Then I was talking to my neighbor and he said the paint needs to heat cure, and the online instructions agree.
How can I cure the parts, because not many of them are on the engine? Can I use a heat gun, I have a nice one? Or is is better to strip the paint and get what's suggested?

Just an update... Probably the last. I've got it together, rust free, and clean. I need a handfull of little hardware from any auto store, and a fuel float.
I do have to torque the bolts, and grease a couple of spots. Other than that, it's good to go.
Unfortunately, the family turned into a bunch of loons when my dad died, and they are trying to sell it for dirt without even giving me the chance to buy my inheritance from them.
And, trying not to join their insanity (I hope), I might just loose this car. If so, I hope the next person is good to the car and does it right.

Nice little Special hope it works out so you can keep it and sorry to here about your dad.

-
Back